The Student Room Group

Summer Internship Pay - Tax Question

As I'm currently trying to plan my finances for the next academic year, I was wondering how much of the money earned during the internship I actually get to keep.

So, including the housing allowance, it works out at about 10300 pounds over 10 weeks.

How much tax do I have to pay on that?
Also, would it be possible to retrieve some of that tax at the end of the year, as, spread over the entire year, this isn't that much, hence I'm not reaching a certain threshold etc...?

I'm not from the UK, therefore apologies if I'm asking common knowledge questions here!
Thanks in advance!
You're earning more than a grand a week for an internship? Wow....
As for how much you keep, I would say that initially you'll be taxed as a 53k earner, and hence after the 10 weeks, your p45 should state that you've earned something like 7.5k-8k, and taxed a bit more than 2k.

However, come next April (end of tax year), you can send off forms to reclaim most of that tax back, as presumably you won't be working again during the tax year.
Reply 2
Original post by babafagucci
You're earning more than a grand a week for an internship? Wow....
As for how much you keep, I would say that initially you'll be taxed as a 53k earner, and hence after the 10 weeks, your p45 should state that you've earned something like 7.5k-8k, and taxed a bit more than 2k.

However, come next April (end of tax year), you can send off forms to reclaim most of that tax back, as presumably you won't be working again during the tax year.

thanks for the quick reply! so after the 10 weeks, I'll only have paid roughly 20% in taxes? isn't that too little? I would have guessed that I'm in the 40% tax bracket?
Reply 3
You'll probably be taxed as normal at the pro rata rate (ie 53k odd a year) and will have to claim it back at the end.

So you'll end up having paid income tax on everything over £7475. I think it works out something like:

10300 - 7475 = 2825 (this is the bit of your income that is over the threshold and you're liable to be taxed on)

2825 x 0.2 = 565 (your income tax liabilities).

Then you have to work out national insurance, which is a bit more complicated and I can't be bothered to work it out. It's something like 11% of your income over a lower threshold I think.

Best thing to do is go and talk to HR when you get there.
HR normally don't know much about pay stuff. At the end of the day, just know that you'll get taxed too much (most probably), and its up to you to claim it back at the end of the internship/tax year.
Reply 5
cool, thanks for the help!
surely there must be some former summer analysts here who've had to deal with that before?
Reply 6
Just worked out my tax, tax is a bitch!
Reply 7
Original post by eccozcoz
As I'm currently trying to plan my finances for the next academic year, I was wondering how much of the money earned during the internship I actually get to keep.

So, including the housing allowance, it works out at about 10300 pounds over 10 weeks.

How much tax do I have to pay on that?
Also, would it be possible to retrieve some of that tax at the end of the year, as, spread over the entire year, this isn't that much, hence I'm not reaching a certain threshold etc...?

I'm not from the UK, therefore apologies if I'm asking common knowledge questions here!
Thanks in advance!

What people said above is correct, and what happened to me. You should get a certain amount tax free (£7475) and get taxed at 20% above that (about £500).

However, due to the PAYE system, they pro-rate your income to about £50k. Someone at this level would be paying 20% between £7475 and £35000, and 40% between £35000 and £50000, which is £11505. This is an effective rate of about 23%.

Hence you will be taxed at this rate and will end up paying about £2300 in tax (plus national insurance contributions on top of that).

You will be able to claim back £1800 once you finish working, and assuming you have no other income in the same tax year.
Reply 8
Original post by eccozcoz
cool, thanks for the help!
surely there must be some former summer analysts here who've had to deal with that before?

It's nothing specific to summer analysts in banking - it's just how the tax system works. It's happened to me every year for the last 3 years. It's surprisingly easy to claim back and isn't much of a hassle. Anyone who's had a temp job for only part of the year will be in the same boat.

Original post by Nimiza
What people said above is correct, and what happened to me. You should get a certain amount tax free (£7475) and get taxed at 20% above that (about £500).

However, due to the PAYE system, they pro-rate your income to about £50k. Someone at this level would be paying 20% between £7475 and £35000, and 40% between £35000 and £50000, which is £11505. This is an effective rate of about 23%.

Hence you will be taxed at this rate and will end up paying about £2300 in tax (plus national insurance contributions on top of that).

You will be able to claim back £1800 once you finish working, and assuming you have no other income in the same tax year.

Sounds about right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending