The Student Room Group

What do I do after 3rd year

Hi there

I’m an English Literature and drama student in my second year at university. As I am now coming to the end of my course my career and options are questions I seem to be asking myself a lot about. I’m quite interested in considering an internship or just gaining experience through volunteering however have no idea where or how to start. Is this something I need to be looking on indeed for? Or simply email certain publishing or journalism companies If anyone has any advice or guidance that would be much appreciated:smile:
Original post by Under.grad
Hi there

I’m an English Literature and drama student in my second year at university. As I am now coming to the end of my course my career and options are questions I seem to be asking myself a lot about. I’m quite interested in considering an internship or just gaining experience through volunteering however have no idea where or how to start. Is this something I need to be looking on indeed for? Or simply email certain publishing or journalism companies If anyone has any advice or guidance that would be much appreciated:smile:

Go and speak to your uni's careers service. They should be able to advise you on internships and they might have links with employers.
@Under.grad

It's always good to be pro-active!

Any experience you gain before graduating looks good, and if you can line something up ready for after graduation that will take a lot of pressure off next year!

Perhaps you can begin by looking at groups or companies that you are interested in working for e.g. publishing houses. Do they have a summer internship? Do they have a graduate scheme? When does it open? When does it close? What does the scheme involve? How do you apply?

You could also try and find named contacts to email about opportunities available. Checking websites and social media might help with finding the people you need to contact e.g. the name of the sports editor and their email address or their social media handle.

You could start following different companies on social media. They normally post when they have opportunities available.

You could also see if you could help out at summer schools/ drama workshops happening in your local area. What events are happening at a theatre near you? Are there ways you could help?

You could even volunteer to help at a charity and gain some experience in their Communications department. You may pick up new skills or be able to do some research, writing or editing for them.

There are lots of options you could explore.

Think about your interests and strengths and then try to target as many groups/ organisations/companies that you can.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 10 months ago)
Get a job and start paying off your student loan for the next 30 years when you contemplate how useless and unnecessary your degree was to complete your career goals and aspirations. :smile:
Hi there

Hi there,
It's great that you're starting to think about life after university. I was interested in publishing for quite a while and I would say it is very much who you know, so contact publishing companies in your area and make your presence known on LinkedIn - just to get your name out there. https://creativeaccess.org.uk/ is also very good! Alternatively, if you opt to do a postgraduate degree or further study, this is also a great way to gain additional knowledge and experience.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Hi there

Hi @Under.grad firstly well done for getting through this year! What I would recommend is looking on Grad cracker and Rate my placement these websites are designed to help find placements as you can specify your field into the search. I would say there is no harm in emailing companies as the worst they could do is say no. My advise to you would be to make sure your CV and Cover letter are fully complete, when applying for places you can tailor the Cover letter to that company this will save you time. I also recommend creating a list of placement you want to apply to along with the closing date this way you have the best chance of being successful. Hope this helps!

Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending