The Student Room Group

Scottish Baccalaureate in Languages

So, anyone else doing this? I know there's only like 40/50 people in Scotland who do it annually, but come on, surely some of them are on here?

Our school is running it for the first time ever this year, and there's only two of us doing it, so there's quite a lot of pressure on us :rolleyes:

I'm doing AH French, AH English, H Spanish (although I've got two Higher languages behind me already, so I think they count) and for my IP I'm going to study European influences on the training of a Scottish singer (e.g. language tuition in conservatoires, why it's important in vocal training and performance, how it links to emploability, especially within opera companies, and international relations within music, I might look at the Kodaly method too)

What's everyone else doing? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by christielovesyou
So, anyone else doing this? I know there's only like 40/50 people in Scotland who do it annually, but come on, surely some of them are on here?

Our school is running it for the first time ever this year, and there's only two of us doing it, so there's quite a lot of pressure on us :rolleyes:

I'm doing AH French, AH English, H Spanish (although I've got two Higher languages behind me already, so I think they count) and for my IP I'm going to study European influences on the training of a Scottish singer (e.g. language tuition in conservatoires, why it's important in vocal training and performance, how it links to emploability, especially within opera companies, and international relations within music, I might look at the Kodaly method too)

What's everyone else doing? :smile:

This year I'm doing Advanced Higher English, Spanish and History. Last year I did Higher French. Am I able to do the Scottish Baccalaureate in languages with Advanced English and Spanish, and with Higher French behind me?

Moreover, I'm fluent in two foreign languages as well: my parents are from Southern Asia.
Original post by Quick-use
This year I'm doing Advanced Higher English, Spanish and History. Last year I did Higher French. Am I able to do the Scottish Baccalaureate in languages with Advanced English and Spanish, and with Higher French behind me?

Moreover, I'm fluent in two foreign languages as well: my parents are from Southern Asia.

Probably, I'm pretty sure Higher languages you've already done count.

I'd check whether your school runs the Bacc though, it's quite uncommon for schools to offer it in languages - science is a lot more popular.
Reply 3
Probably, I'm pretty sure Higher languages you've already done count.

I'd check whether your school runs the Bacc though, it's quite uncommon for schools to offer it in languages - science is a lot more popular.

I'll have a check, then. And, yeah, you're definitely right: the baccalaureate for sciences is more popular, and it runs in my school, incidentally.

Is the baccalaureate not an independant study though? Or, is it like another subject with a teacher?
Original post by Quick-use
I'll have a check, then. And, yeah, you're definitely right: the baccalaureate for sciences is more popular, and it runs in my school, incidentally.

Is the baccalaureate not an independant study though? Or, is it like another subject with a teacher?

I think the IP is independent apart from the presentation at the end, but your school does have to enter you as a Bacc candidate so I'm really not sure...
Hey! I'm doing the languages bacc this year :smile: I'm the first person ever to do it in my school and I think the only person in my whole region doing it! It's just me doing the bacc and since I don't really have any predecessors to refer back to it'll be nice being able to speak to others on here doing it.

This year I'm doing AH French and English and a crash Higher German. Even though I have absolutely no experience in German, luckily I'm already at Standard Grade General level so hopefully I'll be up to scratch in time for the exam :wink: So looking forward to the IP, doing mine on education cause I really wanna be a languages teacher :smile: Hope to stay in touch!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
I'm the first person ever to do it in my school

It was only introduced in the 09/10 session :p:
yeah i know but still my point is i have no references :P
anyone started work on their IP? :smile:
How's everyone's IP going? Time's rolling in quick! Can't believe it's almost October! :O
Mine's going so well, haven't actually done the proposal yet, but I've got responses to almost all my email interviews I did (with overwhelming support) and I've been offered the chance to visit Scottish Opera for a day for research purposes!

What are you doing yours on?
Increasing bilingualism in rural areas through education :smile: Loving it so much! I am so glad they introduced the bacc, my IP gives sixth year purpose! All my friends are loving all their free periods and I have about 3 but I don't care because I LOVE doing this all the time, it's great! Well done on your acheivments so far! Visiting the Scottish Opera should be fun! :smile: Any thoughts on where you're going to study next year? :smile:
Mine's going so well, haven't actually done the proposal yet, but I've got responses to almost all my email interviews I did (with overwhelming support) and I've been offered the chance to visit Scottish Opera for a day for research purposes!

What are you doing yours on?
Increasing bilingualism in rural areas through education :smile: Loving it so much! I am so glad they introduced the bacc, my IP gives sixth year purpose! All my friends are loving all their free periods and I have about 3 but I don't care because I LOVE doing this all the time, it's great! Well done on your acheivments so far! Visiting the Scottish Opera should be fun! :smile: Any thoughts on where you're going to study next year? :smile:

Probably Stevenson College, to do an HND in Classical Music, but there are other options...I'm applying to do French and Italian at Edinburgh, Glasgow, St. Andy's and Strathclyde too. It's all a bit up in the air, I thought I had it sussed but my singing teacher talked over some other options with me today and now I've got some thinking to do :rolleyes:

You?
Reply 13
Hey! I am doing the project part of the Bacc, but not the whole thing as I am only doing one advanced higher, French. I have hardly started my project yet, just got a slight idea of what I am going to do, think I should be speeding up! :s
Reply 14
Hi, just wondering for people doing it this year did your school already offer it to you or did anyone here approach their school and ask to do it for the first time in the school? If so when did you ask them about it? Cheers :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Kerrias
Hi, just wondering for people doing it this year did your school already offer it to you or did anyone here approach their school and ask to do it for the first time in the school? If so when did you ask them about it? Cheers :smile:

Hey, I'm the first person to be doing it at my school this year and only approached my teachers about it half way through August! :smile:
Probably Stevenson College, to do an HND in Classical Music, but there are other options...I'm applying to do French and Italian at Edinburgh, Glasgow, St. Andy's and Strathclyde too. It's all a bit up in the air, I thought I had it sussed but my singing teacher talked over some other options with me today and now I've got some thinking to do :rolleyes:

You?

Just gonna apply for French although I plan to do at least one other language once I've got a place! Applying to Glasgow, St A, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Stirling, in order of preference I think (haven't been to St A yet) Where's Stevensons College? :smile:
Just gonna apply for French although I plan to do at least one other language once I've got a place! Applying to Glasgow, St A, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Stirling, in order of preference I think (haven't been to St A yet) Where's Stevensons College? :smile:

Edinburgh. But now I'm considering going to Edinburgh Uni and changing to Music once I get there and then doing a postgrad singing degree at a conservatoire. I just need to email them to see if they'll let me. Decisions decisions! :rolleyes:
Edinburgh. But now I'm considering going to Edinburgh Uni and changing to Music once I get there and then doing a postgrad singing degree at a conservatoire. I just need to email them to see if they'll let me. Decisions decisions! :rolleyes:

sounds hectic!
Reply 19
Original post by Millymoo
Hey, I'm the first person to be doing it at my school this year and only approached my teachers about it half way through August! :smile:

Thanks, its just im in S5 and interested in doing it next year, but my school doesnt offer it as of yet and Im not sure there is even anybody else who would be interested but going to ask them about it later this year and see what they say :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending