The Student Room Group

a level politics

hey :smile:
i'm starting my a-levels in september and one of them is politics, i don't really know much about the course and was just wondering what it's like, is it enjoyable, how much work is involved and is it a useful a-level to have.
some useful advice would be helpful
Hello :smile:

Well, I've just finished AS Level Government and Politics (AQA) and have now moved on to the A2 course. I'm not sure if it depends which specification/exam board etc that you're doing as to what topics there will be but I can tell you about what we did earlier on in year twelve.

Our course was split into two parts; Unit 1 was People, Politics and Participation and Unit 2 was Governing Modern Britain. I had a different teacher for each unit, and there is a written exam for each unit. Each exam consists of answering questions on two topics out of a choice of four; you answer two 5 mark questions, two 10 mark questions and two 25 mark essay questions. Your grade for the AS-Level is averaged out between the results on these two exams.

In Unit 1 the topics we studied were Participation and Voting Behaviour, Electoral Systems, Political Parties and Pressure Groups and Protest Movements. In Unit 2 we studied The British Constitution, Parliament, The Core Executive and Multi-Level Government.

I found the vast majority of the course interesting hence why I am going to carry on with it at A2. So far the A2 work we have started is about ideologies and the other half an introduction to US politics.

It is a useful A-Level because it is an academic subject and not a 'soft' option. If you have a good grade in it, it shows that you are capable of communicating your ideas effectively (as it is an essay-based subject), that you can conduct research, that you keep up with current events, that you can memorise a lot of information etc.

I hope you enjoy it :smile:
Reply 2
I found it horrible,truly horrible.Then again i signed up for the wrong reasons.I thought well i know alot about politics like politics so i should be fine.i was wrong.it was like another english exam.to much time on banal stuff.Sorry but thats what i thought.
Reply 3
Original post by Unconventional.
Hello :smile:

Well, I've just finished AS Level Government and Politics (AQA) and have now moved on to the A2 course. I'm not sure if it depends which specification/exam board etc that you're doing as to what topics there will be but I can tell you about what we did earlier on in year twelve.

Our course was split into two parts; Unit 1 was People, Politics and Participation and Unit 2 was Governing Modern Britain. I had a different teacher for each unit, and there is a written exam for each unit. Each exam consists of answering questions on two topics out of a choice of four; you answer two 5 mark questions, two 10 mark questions and two 25 mark essay questions. Your grade for the AS-Level is averaged out between the results on these two exams.

In Unit 1 the topics we studied were Participation and Voting Behaviour, Electoral Systems, Political Parties and Pressure Groups and Protest Movements. In Unit 2 we studied The British Constitution, Parliament, The Core Executive and Multi-Level Government.

I found the vast majority of the course interesting hence why I am going to carry on with it at A2. So far the A2 work we have started is about ideologies and the other half an introduction to US politics.

It is a useful A-Level because it is an academic subject and not a 'soft' option. If you have a good grade in it, it shows that you are capable of communicating your ideas effectively (as it is an essay-based subject), that you can conduct research, that you keep up with current events, that you can memorise a lot of information etc.

I hope you enjoy it :smile:

That sounds like the edexcel one that I did. I think some of the topics are better than others but overall it's quite interesting because it's quite relevant. You about things like referendums, different electoral systems, judges etc. I guess it depends on what you are interested in.

Personally I quite liked politics but a lot of people in my class dropped it. I also think it's a useful A level. There's cross-over with other subjects and it shows that you know current affairs. It is also an essay based subject and shows that you can structure an essay/argument.

It doesn't matter that you don't know much about politics or the course. I knew nothing before I took it.

For me it wasn't that much work, mainly practice essays for the exams throughout the whole year. There is quite a lot to remember though but for me it seemed that you can learn a few things that you can apply to several questions. It's mainly remembering strengths and weaknesses or for/against arguments and then examples to support.
Reply 4
The best A Level...
ok thanks guys i'm also taking english literature, french and history, does politics support these well? also, im really interested in journalism as career, is politics useful for this?
Reply 6
Original post by pink pineapple
ok thanks guys i'm also taking english literature, french and history, does politics support these well? also, im really interested in journalism as career, is politics useful for this?

yes. really useful. you learn to write essays properly and expressing your opinions properly. skills needed for journalism. especially if you are going to become a political journalist
Reply 7
To be honest with you, alevels are not easy. ive just finished edexcell government and politics and it was HELLL!!!!!
The first year was fine but in the second year i did the welfare state and Europe, i could honestly say it was the hardest thing i have ever done.
The main thing is that if your prepared to put in the work then it will be easy but if your going to be like me and leave it to the end then it really does catch up with you. :frown:
It looks good if you have politics as a alevel but for me it was really hard. :s-smilie:
but anyways im glad its over and i never have to do it again lol
Good luck with it :smile: :smile:
Politics was my favourite subject! It turns out that the ideologies I hated the most were the ones I wrote 4 page essays about. Weird. The skills you get really help with other subjects, especially essay planning, came in so handy for History and Eng Lit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending