The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Starting MPhil at Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
colleges are basically where you eat and sleep and helps you meet people outside of your course.
All lectures will be at the department you are studying at and are spread throughout the city although easily cyclable distances!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
Hiya...Congrats on all those who are through to Cambridge for their MPhil. I was wondering if anyone could offer any pointers on the interviews you had? Were they subject based and thorough or more generally about yourselves? I have an interview soon (Children's Lit) and would truly appreciate any assistance in this matter! Thank you.
Reply 22
Original post by jack_of_all_trades
I will be studying History, living in Trinity College and coming (a short distance) from Wales. Looking forward to meeting so many interesting people though I wish I didn't have to wait so long! Hope you're all enjoying the summer so far :wink:

Hello. May I ask you how strict Cambridge is on Mphil history applications? Apart from good grades, do I need relevant experience like publishing manuscripts? I am taking part in a historical investigation at the moment, but that's pretty much it.
Original post by itzme
Hello. May I ask you how strict Cambridge is on Mphil history applications? Apart from good grades, do I need relevant experience like publishing manuscripts? I am taking part in a historical investigation at the moment, but that's pretty much it.

Hey, glad to hear you are interested in applying (though I assume this is for the 2012 intake?). I'm sure any relevant experience will help your application but I don't think it is necessary to have published. I certainly haven't published (yet) but did include my experience of having worked in higher education. However, I am pretty sure the key to getting in is threefold: a strong academic record, a persuasive proposal and early communication with your prospective tutor.

Sorry I haven't given any indication of how "strict" the application process is but I can't really comment on that with any authority. Just make sure you prepare well in advance of the deadline and I'm sure you'll be fine! If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by zna79
Hiya...Congrats on all those who are through to Cambridge for their MPhil. I was wondering if anyone could offer any pointers on the interviews you had? Were they subject based and thorough or more generally about yourselves? I have an interview soon (Children's Lit) and would truly appreciate any assistance in this matter! Thank you.

Some things are better left unknown. However since you asked, I will tell you... but I will not be responsible if you panic or loose it ;p

When I was told about the interview I didn't think much about it. I was interviewed over the phone since I'm international student. It was I think over the weekend though not sure if it was Friday or Sunday (since here our weekend starts Friday)... I was at the doorstep of my home about to leave to the cinema with my wife.

After all the hellos and general questions about why did you choose this programme and what do you wish to do after and how do you feel this programme will contribute to you, the digging up started and I was asked about all sort of stuff from basic engineering principles to math and integration. One minute I was thinking 'cool im doing well' and the next i was like 'omg i'm being asked about stuff i took some 8 years ago'. yes they may be basic principles... but come on...

anyway, what was a nice easy conversation ended up being me running around from the living room to my study area and over the bookshelves searching for my differential equations and thermodynamics books to search for answers. of course i found no answers lol.

It was heck of a night.. i cant remember much of the questions that i was asked.. all i remember is me running to my office grabbing books, and my wife looking at me with this look on her face :confused:

LOL

I really thought that i failed and I was not going to get accepted. haha... but thanks God it was considered good or acceptable I guess because i've been made an offer :smile:
Reply 25
I'll be doing an MPhil in Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic at Clare, and I'm from Germany.
Can't wait to be confirmed by the BoGS! I received my final transcript two weeks ago and sent it to them straight away. Now I'm wondering how long it normally takes them to process the documents? I'm getting really impatient :wink:
Reply 26
Original post by Mörkret
I'll be doing an MPhil in Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic at Clare, and I'm from Germany.
Can't wait to be confirmed by the BoGS! I received my final transcript two weeks ago and sent it to them straight away. Now I'm wondering how long it normally takes them to process the documents? I'm getting really impatient :wink:

It can take them a long time they are incredibly slow sometimes :mad:
however hopefully you will catch them at a productive moment and hear back soon :colondollar:
Reply 27
I am also applying to Cambridge for MPhil, but for 2013. The application is not yet available to me, but I had a question for anyone who might be able to answer. Is there an option to enter April 2013? Or does term only begin Oct. 2013? I saw an option for April 2012 on the BoGS application currently available, but it was for PhD, as the MPhil deadline for 2012 was already past.
Reply 28
Original post by Shuttlebug
I am also applying to Cambridge for MPhil, but for 2013. The application is not yet available to me, but I had a question for anyone who might be able to answer. Is there an option to enter April 2013? Or does term only begin Oct. 2013? I saw an option for April 2012 on the BoGS application currently available, but it was for PhD, as the MPhil deadline for 2012 was already past.

Original post by itzme

Original post by zna79

To all of the above there is a cambridge grad chat thread located here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1467531

that may be more use to post your questions into as more current students read it
Reply 29
Original post by Katala
It can take them a long time they are incredibly slow sometimes :mad:
however hopefully you will catch them at a productive moment and hear back soon :colondollar:

I'm sure they are very busy at the moment, but still...
However, it seems like I can't hear back at the moment at all because there is some technical issue with CamSis. Is somebody else having problems with it at the moment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending