The Student Room Group

Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Fynn
Lucky for us guys we dont have to wear those lovely outfits!!:biggrin:

I'm afraid the men still have to wear the tunics and trousers - no getting away from it!
Reply 181
Whisper
What colour are those outfits? I would love to see it. In East London they provide you with the physio T-shirt, which is a nice white polo with physio sign on it. I would be soooo proud to wear it!!!

white tunic blue trousers
Reply 182
JackieS
I'm afraid the men still have to wear the tunics and trousers - no getting away from it!

????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: i thought it was a white t-shirt and blue trousers?!lol
Reply 183
Fynn
????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: i thought it was a white t-shirt and blue trousers?!lol

well in the hospital where i did my work experience last summer all the male physio's wore white polo neck t-shirts and trousers both with the NHS logo and trust name on

hope i dont have to wear the white tunics as well .lol
Reply 184
Fynn

it varies from place to place - some allow polo shirts and comfy trousers, some don't.......but we were given the uniform as standard just incase we went somewherethat required it.........so you won't be lucky to avoid it lol
Reply 185
MJay
Hi

Are there any Brighton physio students, or anyone know about the campus? I went on the selection day, but I found the campus in Eastbourne very small (it seemed more like a collection of out-buildings, very tucked out of the way).

On the plus side, I thought the staff were lovely, and I like the way they structure the course. But I didn't really feel like I'd got to know much about the place - I didn't see many signs of activity, and it felt really sedate.

I'll be grateful for any opinions people have.

hey, I went to an open day last year and an interview for the fast track course, your right, it is pretty out the way from anything and you never go to Brighton unless you have a placement there.

They are developing the campus but it looks like slow work. They told me it would be all done by jan 2006, which was a big lie.

There is the brighton uni's sports science dept in eastbourne too, but in the end, it is pretty quiet and the campus is a bit like a 1970s school.

I decided against it and went an hour west along the coast to Southampton. Really loving it and so glad i chose it over Brighton.

LJ
Reply 186
Brilliant!!! il ask my mate who is at Cov and see what he wears!!! Got a feeling im going to strolling the wards in that lovely little tunic number!!:rolleyes:
Reply 187
Fynn
Brilliant!!! il ask my mate who is at Cov and see what he wears!!! Got a feeling im going to strolling the wards in that lovely little tunic number!!:rolleyes:

I hope so cos I don't want to be the only one looking like a twit!
Reply 188
JackieS
I hope so cos I don't want to be the only one looking like a twit!

LOL, well when i find out il let you know:biggrin: everyone will have to post their pics on in september wearing those lovely tunics!!:wink:
I think i almost qualify to post on this thread now, seeing has i have finally received the last of the replies from the unis.

Now i have the dilemma of having to choose from the 4 conditionals i have been offered. 2 in scotland and 2 in england.

I was led to believe that manchester met has one of the oldest physio schools, if not the oldest in england. Is this held in high regard like notts and Queen margaret in edindurgh? For the last few weeks this is one i was going to chose (if i get enough credit points to get in).

Or would you chose bournemouth with miles and miles of beaches. though bare in mind i burn badly in the sun:cool:

HAving to wear a TUNIC may well be a factor in my choice tho:p:

Concerning the tunics whenever i was shadowing all the guys wore a polo shirt with the logo. I only ever saw the ladies wear tunics if not a polo shirt.
Reply 190
NorthCountryBoy
I think i almost qualify to post on this thread now, seeing has i have finally received the last of the replies from the unis.

Now i have the dilemma of having to choose from the 4 conditionals i have been offered. 2 in scotland and 2 in england.

I was led to believe that manchester met has one of the oldest physio schools, if not the oldest in england. Is this held in high regard like notts and Queen margaret in edindurgh? For the last few weeks this is one i was going to chose (if i get enough credit points to get in).

Or would you chose bournemouth with miles and miles of beaches. though bare in mind i burn badly in the sun:cool:

HAving to wear a TUNIC may well be a factor in my choice tho:p:

Concerning the tunics whenever i was shadowing all the guys wore a polo shirt with the logo. I only ever saw the ladies wear tunics if not a polo shirt.

all of the physio schools are as much of a muchness to be honest. Personally, the fees status would sway my choice considerably to english uni's only
JackieS
all of the physio schools are as much of a muchness to be honest. Personally, the fees status would sway my choice considerably to english uni's only

Jackie as i am from scotland i believe i would have my fees paid for me. But i not sure if i will get any bursary/grant for the first year as i already have a HND from 8 year ago.

Manchester met was one of the first to give me a conditional, so i was picturing myself going there to study. and when i was looking at into physio 2 years ago, Manchester School of Physiotherapy seemed to be one of the best from what i had read. i only put MMU to fill the 6th choose as i never imagine they would offer me a place.

It was just today that i got an answer from queen margaret in edinburgh. its a 40 minute train journey to edinburgh from where i live.

so i dont know whether to up sticks and move to manchester or do the 4 year course at edinburgh. As i said I was actually surprised that MMU offered me a place.

So i dont dont know what to do. maybe i could do with a new scenary and move away from mates and family.:smile: :confused: :smile:
Reply 192
NorthCountryBoy
Jackie as i am from scotland i believe i would have my fees paid for me. But i not sure if i will get any bursary/grant for the first year as i already have a HND from 8 year ago.

Manchester met was one of the first to give me a conditional, so i was picturing myself going there to study. and when i was looking at into physio 2 years ago, Manchester School of Physiotherapy seemed to be one of the best from what i had read. i only put MMU to fill the 6th choose as i never imagine they would offer me a place.

It was just today that i got an answer from queen margaret in edinburgh. its a 40 minute train journey to edinburgh from where i live.

so i dont know whether to up sticks and move to manchester or do the 4 year course at edinburgh. As i said I was actually surprised that MMU offered me a place.

So i dont dont know what to do. maybe i could do with a new scenary and move away from mates and family.:smile: :confused: :smile:

I personally would have no problem up and leaving all my friends and faily - I've done it once and would do it agai, plus all my mates upped and left at the same time. Seeing as you will get your fees paid (as far as I know you'd still be elgigible for a bursary regardless of your HND) then I would look at the content and structure of the course and then pick the one with the best regardless of its location - my personal opinion is that you shouldnt stay somewhere just because of your friends/family if your learning style is better suited to somewhere that is further away
JackieS
I personally would have no problem up and leaving all my friends and faily - I've done it once and would do it agai, plus all my mates upped and left at the same time. Seeing as you will get your fees paid (as far as I know you'd still be elgigible for a bursary regardless of your HND) then I would look at the content and structure of the course and then pick the one with the best regardless of its location - my personal opinion is that you shouldnt stay somewhere just because of your friends/family if your learning style is better suited to somewhere that is further away

I know jackie, i've moved away a couple of times in the past. It coz i now need to decide and and its coming more of a reality, that am nervous (if thats the right word) now.

When i sent an email to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland 2 years ago about support, they said because as a HND can count as the first year of a degree course up here i would not get funds for the 1st year. Its possible to go directly into 2nd year of a degree course with a HND.

What types of study are there, what should i be looking at? what do you reckon is best form of study for learning physio?

queen margaret is meant to be really good, but they dont go on placements till the 3rd and 4th year. Whereas Robert gordon in aberdeen do alot of placements starting in ur first year, but Aberdeen is the same distance as manchester.

I read one of your post saying Manchester would have been your first chioce. How are you finding your 1st year, i would imagine it is really intense as its a 3year course and not 4.
Reply 194
NorthCountryBoy
I know jackie, i've moved away a couple of times in the past. It coz i now need to decide and and its coming more of a reality, that am nervous (if thats the right word) now.

When i sent an email to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland 2 years ago about support, they said because as a HND can count as the first year of a degree course up here i would not get funds for the 1st year. Its possible to go directly into 2nd year of a degree course with a HND.

What types of study are there, what should i be looking at? what do you reckon is best form of study for learning physio?

queen margaret is meant to be really good, but they dont go on placements till the 3rd and 4th year. Whereas Robert gordon in aberdeen do alot of placements starting in ur first year, but Aberdeen is the same distance as manchester.

I read one of your post saying Manchester would have been your first chioce. How are you finding your 1st year, i would imagine it is really intense as its a 3year course and not 4.

Well some uni's put more emphasis on theory and less on practical. Some un's (like Georges) ahve alot of self directed (but structured) learning , some uni's have lots of self-directed learing with little structure and supervision (sorr anyone going to UEL!) and some have less self directed learning.

Manc was my first choice when I was 18 but dind't get the results I needed. Only applied to London uni's the 2nd time round at 21 because of finances. I'm loving it at Georges - quite alot of self directed learning but its well structured and supported by study guides, and there are alot of practicals which suit me really well ebacuse I'm quite hands on and learn more by doing
JackieS
Well some uni's put more emphasis on theory and less on practical. Some un's (like Georges) ahve alot of self directed (but structured) learning , some uni's have lots of self-directed learing with little structure and supervision (sorr anyone going to UEL!) and some have less self directed learning.

Manc was my first choice when I was 18 but dind't get the results I needed. Only applied to London uni's the 2nd time round at 21 because of finances. I'm loving it at Georges - quite alot of self directed learning but its well structured and supported by study guides, and there are alot of practicals which suit me really well ebacuse I'm quite hands on and learn more by doing

WHen you say self directed learning, are you given case studies or problems that you have to research yourself?

is it similar to this http://www.did.stu.mmu.ac.uk/physio/teaching.php

Aye i think hands on approach would be the best way to learn, because at the end of the day the job is a hands on job.

the financial side of things worries me as well as i never realised how little you are given.
Reply 196
NorthCountryBoy
WHen you say self directed learning, are you given case studies or problems that you have to research yourself?

is it similar to this http://www.did.stu.mmu.ac.uk/physio/teaching.php

Aye i think hands on approach would be the best way to learn, because at the end of the day the job is a hands on job.

the financial side of things worries me as well as i never realised how little you are given.

pretty similar yeah - we have normal lectures which are given as you would expect. But the anatomy is self -directed.We have one overview lecture on each joint/area and then are given study guide with the things we're expected to teach ourselves and the depth to which we're expected to know, and thats pretty much up to you to do as you want basically. We also hve CBL (case based learning) which is spread over 2 sessions. In the first session you are given a case study which you work throug with the people in your tutorial group and it gives you info about what was found in the assessment etc and you talk between you about what you think this means, what else you could do etc. You then set learning objectives , usually about things you dind't understand, as a group and you have to research it for the second session. In the second session you go over what you found out and get abitmore informatin about the case

finances are a big issue - especially now my parents have started asking for rent cos they're skint. I applied to London UNi's nly because finances and being able to stay at home cheaply were big issues for me
JackieS
pretty similar yeah - we have normal lectures which are given as you would expect. But the anatomy is self -directed.We have one overview lecture on each joint/area and then are given study guide with the things we're expected to teach ourselves and the depth to which we're expected to know, and thats pretty much up to you to do as you want basically. We also hve CBL (case based learning) which is spread over 2 sessions. In the first session you are given a case study which you work throug with the people in your tutorial group and it gives you info about what was found in the assessment etc and you talk between you about what you think this means, what else you could do etc. You then set learning objectives , usually about things you dind't understand, as a group and you have to research it for the second session. In the second session you go over what you found out and get abitmore informatin about the case

finances are a big issue - especially now my parents have started asking for rent cos they're skint. I applied to London UNi's nly because finances and being able to stay at home cheaply were big issues for me

I know how you feel. the place am renting just now is pretty cheap as its from a hosuing association. Thats another factor i would have to consider if i stayed here and travel to edinburgh everyday, as its not cheap travelling to edinburgh at peek times on the train. DOnt think taken the car would be fun with the traffic and parking.

thanks Jackie
Reply 198

Physiotherapy Week - 19 to 23 June 2006

Will anyone on here be taking part in this event?
Reply 199
shoiab

Physiotherapy Week - 19 to 23 June 2006

Will anyone on here be taking part in this event?

i would imagine the uni's will each be organising stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending