The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Either:

Learn about it before interview.

Don't put it into your personal statement.

Easy!
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
Either:

Easy!

Thanks, will just look it up on good ol' wikipedia then.
Original post by Beska
Either:

Easy!

This.
Reply 4
If you must mention it, just say you got to watch "procedures" without too much specific information.
Reply 5
To be fair I don't think they'd ask you any ridiculously outlandish questions about it. I mentioned seeing some total thyroidectomies and in preparation for interview just did some very basic research behind what the thyroid is, why it acts up, symptoms, how it effects the patient, what the surgery involves, side effects, etc. in case they asked. Nobody asked about it though.
Reply 6
Original post by Beska
To be fair I don't think they'd ask you any ridiculously outlandish questions about it. I mentioned seeing some total thyroidectomies and in preparation for interview just did some very basic research behind what the thyroid is, why it acts up, symptoms, how it effects the patient, what the surgery involves, side effects, etc. in case they asked. Nobody asked about it though.

But don't some universities have your PS with you and ask you questions about your PS?
Reply 7
Original post by Limitless
But don't some universities have your PS with you and ask you questions about your PS?

Yeh. All my interviewers at all my interviews had my PS and just didn't ask any specific questions about the surgery I had saw. More about what I learnt from the whole experience and all that jazz. YMMV though.
Reply 8
Original post by Beska
Yeh. All my interviewers at all my interviews had my PS and just didn't ask any specific questions about the surgery I had saw. More about what I learnt from the whole experience and all that jazz. YMMV though.

What did you learn?
Reply 9
I've just seen a video from an interview for medicine at cambridge. Although I haven't yet studied much biology, so I might be a bit biased, but the interview seemed to be incredibly academic related. Is it only in cambridge the case or are most interviews like this. You've probably already seen which one I mean but in case not its this one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
What did you learn?

I learnt whatever the ISC medical interviews book told me I had learnt...

Original post by Giggy88
I've just seen a video from an interview for medicine at cambridge. Although I haven't yet studied much biology, so I might be a bit biased, but the interview seemed to be incredibly academic related. Is it only in cambridge the case or are most interviews like this. You've probably already seen which one I mean but in case not its this.

Most aren't like that, Oxbridge ones are quite abstract and sciencey though. They want to try and see you reason through problems that you don't necessarily know the answers to.
Reply 11
Original post by Beska

Most aren't like that, Oxbridge ones are quite abstract and sciencey though. They want to try and see you reason through problems that you don't necessarily know the answers to.

Lol. Time to go buy the ISC medical interview book then. :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Beska

So, in your interviews i.e. Barts/Newcastle apart from the articles given, are there any other scientific knowledge/reasoning tested?

I'd assume the articles are also scientific related and not clinical based or anything with the nhs /medical ethics etc.. ?
Reply 13
Original post by Giggy88
So, in your interviews i.e. Barts/Newcastle apart from the articles given, are there any other scientific knowledge/reasoning tested?

Well, yeh, but only because I bought stuff up. Barts was mostly all a very ethical discussion (thank god for AS Philosophy) surrounding the article while Newcastle's interviewers asked me some scientific questions about stem cells - how do they work, why do they work, what can they be used for, etc. But that's only because I bought them up in the first place in response to a "ethical issue in the news in the past 6 months" question.
Reply 14
I found it very interesting and a doctor invited me to watch him do a PCI and pacemaker implantation. The thing is when I write all this in my PS, I'm scared I will be asked questions about it in my interview and I don't know that much so I would find it difficult talking about it. What do I do?

did u do the w/e at st.marys/hammersmith/charing cross hospital???
Reply 15
I don't think they'll be asking you difficult technical questions about surgery.
Reply 16
Original post by abdkam
did u do the w/e at st.marys/hammersmith/charing cross hospital???

No it was at my local hospital in my town. Why?
Reply 17
Original post by Beska
Well, yeh, but only because I bought stuff up. Barts was mostly all a very ethical discussion (thank god for AS Philosophy) surrounding the article while Newcastle's interviewers asked me some scientific questions about stem cells - how do they work, why do they work, what can they be used for, etc. But that's only because I bought them up in the first place in response to a "ethical issue in the news in the past 6 months" question.

That sounds reasonable. Seems like you have a bit of an option as to what you may want to talk about, and they then also try to ask question by looking at your interests/what sort of stuff you bring up.

I guess I would be happy with ethical issues. (I like reading about those things :tongue:). But I would really mess up if they start asking me about any functions of proteins and why organelles have certain structures etc..

I think it would be good to make the EPQ, so I'm solid on one medical topic which I then try to bring up in the interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
oh its because those hosps did w/e this week and there were about 15 people doing it, i was one of them, so i thought you might have been there too!!

sorry!!
Reply 19
Original post by abdkam
oh its because those hosps did w/e this week and there were about 15 people doing it, i was one of them, so i thought you might have been there too!!

sorry!!

Oh, I was only one of two people. It was really difficult to sort out though, ringing people, writing letters, chasing people up.

Latest

Trending

Trending