The Student Room Group

Ear Piercings Healing Overnight!!!

I got my ears pierced eight weeks ago now. After struggling for days to get the safety backs off my piercing studs I finally managed it several days ago. I was so happy as I thought this meant I would be able to leave the earring out overnight as I find them really annoying to sleep on. This was fine for around 3 days - the piercings were a little sore when putting in and taking out the earrings but fine all day when I had them in, but this morning I woke up and found the holes on both my ears had healed over, and I had to re-pierce them myself, which kind of sucked and really hurt!! Is this normal, or am I getting an infection? And does this mean I have to keep them in all the time?? I really thought that it would be ok to leave the earrings out overnight, and the piercings would not close up so quickly :frown: Any advice??
Reply 1
You're really not supposed to take them out. Did you do any research first? You'll have irritated your piercings so much that you'd probably be best to take them out completely, but if you do leave them in stop fiddling.
i had mine done when i was a baby and they never heal over :smile: , but i wouldnt leave yours out if i were you .
Reply 3
But the piercer told me the healing period was 4-8 weeks and I'd had them in for just over 7 weeks, so I assumed it'd be fine to take them out...
Reply 4
Original post by GabbyMerry

But the piercer told me the healing period was 4-8 weeks and I'd had them in for just over 7 weeks, so I assumed it'd be fine to take them out...

Then either your piercer was stupid, or you didn't understand. The latter seems more likely.
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
Then either your piercer was stupid, or you didn't understand. The latter seems more likely.

alright point taken:smile:... so as in it's not ok to leave them out overnight ever??
Reply 6
:facepalm2: Leave them in all the time.

How do they irritate you overnight, anyway? They're designed so that you can sleep in them. If you're having problems, maybe put on a different back, but don't take them out for a long time or you'll end up re-piercing.
Reply 7
ok so the gist I'm getting is that it's not ok to leave them out overnight for the foreseeable future, though providing they're not infected or completely messed up from what I've done it's ok to change them as the initial healing period is up. I'll try and get some backs that cover the point up cos it's that stikcing in me that annoys me when I'm sleeping.
Reply 8

alright point taken:smile:... so as in it's not ok to leave them out overnight ever??

Well, I leave mine out overnight sometimes, but mine have been done for many years. They're also stretched so would have further to go to heal.

If you're really struggling with your current studs then get some more - I'm guessing your piercer used a gun so the ends of your studs will be slightly sharp. I'm not going to go into why gun piercings are bad.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
Well, I leave mine out overnight sometimes, but mine have been done for many years. They're also stretched so would have further to go to heal.

If you're really struggling with your current studs then get some more - I'm guessing your piercer used a gun so the ends of your studs will be slightly sharp. I'm not going to go into why gun piercings are bad.

yeah I know... getting them done was a spur of the moment thing and it was a gun, only afterwards did I read on the internet the evils of the piercing gun!! :frown:

well hopefully I haven't messed them up too much, I'll just wait and see what happens... Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
ok so the gist I'm getting is that it's not ok to leave them out overnight for the foreseeable future, though providing they're not infected or completely messed up from what I've done it's ok to change them as the initial healing period is up. I'll try and get some backs that cover the point up cos it's that stikcing in me that annoys me when I'm sleeping.

Try getting the backs with the rubber circle thingy. Or little tiny hoops.

Eventually you can leave them out without them completely healing but you may heal slower than others so leave it more time.

I can leave mine out for days :smile: albiet because i pierced my own ear with a cycling proficiency badge because i couldnt be bothered going to the piercer again :L
Reply 12
Original post by AwsomePossum
I can leave mine out for days :smile: albiet because i pierced my own ear with a cycling proficiency badge because i couldnt be bothered going to the piercer again :L

haha oh... :smile:
unfortunately your ears sound like mine, :frown: 7 years on most i can leave them out is 2 days or its so difficult and so painful to put them back in :frown:
just leave it longer before you take them out, what i would do though is change the earrings to a different pair id stick to gold just because less likely to have a reaction (my ears reject anything that isnt gold after a few hours) you can get a decent pair for about £7 from h.samuels with less uncomfortable backs (i found the first pair uncomfortable to sleep in too because of the large backs on them but other pairs less irritating)

x
Reply 14

yeah I know... getting them done was a spur of the moment thing and it was a gun, only afterwards did I read on the internet the evils of the piercing gun!! :frown:

well hopefully I haven't messed them up too much, I'll just wait and see what happens... Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

If you do change them either do it straight away or wait enough time for them to heal again. If you do it in a few days they'll have started healing a bit, then you come along and mess that up again. And get a decent quality stud, not some nickel-filled cheap junk. Pure titanium would be best, but I have no idea where to get those in normal sizes.
Maybe sleepers would help?
Maybe you would find it useful getting sleepers?
This thread is a bit old now - I'm going to close it. If you want to start a new thread, you can do so here :smile:

Latest