The Student Room Group

Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

My girlfriend said to me at the weekend that people at her school said they'd already been rejected by Leeds last week. Maybe there's still hope for some of us...
Reply 1981
Original post by fitch6
Interview from Leeds on the 15th! Received my email today

me too!
Original post by beckyboo.
log on to my emails for the 50th time today and 'No new emails! See what people are talking about on Google+.' *sighss*

same here:frown:
Reply 1983
Original post by heeeello
sooo... errrrmm can people with one or more offers maybe like... you know.. withdraw from leeds to give other people with no offers a chance?? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Surely that'll just increase competition at the interview stage though? There's still only around 7000 (roughly, my figures are sketchy) medicine places in the UK for 2012 entry, it's not going to increase, people may get 4 offers but they'll still reject 3 at some point). Just because someone has an offer doesn't mean they shouldn't wait for their dream uni and settle for second best after slaving away at an application for years (as we all have).

Edit: I went to 4 interviews before getting an offer btw (Got my Manc offer night before flying back to England for Leeds and couldn't have cancelled at that stage), so I have not been in this situation and had to consider it. I applied strategically, where I thought I would get an interview and Leeds is the only one I really really want to go to, so I'd understand people with offer(s) wanting to wait it out and see. The world is a competition sadly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1984
Original post by Sherbet
Surely that'll just increase competition at the interview stage though? There's still only around 7000 (roughly, my figures are sketchy) medicine places in the UK for 2012 entry, it's not going to increase, people may get 4 offers but they'll still reject 3 at some point). Just because someone has an offer doesn't mean they shouldn't wait for their dream uni and settle for second best after slaving away at an application for years (as we all have).

Edit: I went to 4 interviews before getting an offer btw (Got my Manc offer night before flying back to England for Leeds and couldn't have cancelled at that stage), so I have not been in this situation and had to consider it. I applied strategically, where I thought I would get an interview and Leeds is the only one I really really want to go to, so I'd understand people with offer(s) wanting to wait it out and see. The world is a competition sadly.

course if leeds is your dream uni go for it!!!

i was just makin a lil suggestion :P
dont see how it would increase competition by people withdrawing though!!
Reply 1985
So is this the last week? Praying i get an invitation.. come on Sheila Booth, send me an interview invitation!
Reply 1986
Original post by f_osman
So is this the last week? Praying i get an invitation.. come on Sheila Booth, send me an interview invitation!

It seems as if today was the last day for an interview invite
Reply 1987
Just wondering if anybody can give me an insight into the course at Leeds.
Like how much clinical experience you may get in the first few years? How many hours a week are spent in lectures or whatever and how integrated the medical students are with other students. Iv tried to find this sort of information from the Leeds university website but not found much.
Actually, any info would be helpful :smile: Thanks
Reply 1988
Don't give up hopeeee (especially to the people considering withdrawing)
They really do keep some interviews until April for people not firming Leeds etc.
My friend got a late interview last April, and now he is a happy first year medic at Leeds!

I know it's the ****s right now (with the lack of information / confusion) but they've been changing their admissions policy loads throughout this cycle (reducing the number of interviews, suddenly interviewing internationals), so you never know, someone might ring up in a months time and be told an extra batch of interviews are being held late April

the wait might be worth something, even if it is just a place on a waiting list or something

Good luck y'all
Reply 1989
Original post by Bec...
Like how much clinical experience you may get in the first few years? How many hours a week are spent in lectures or whatever and how integrated the medical students are with other students. Iv tried to find this sort of information from the Leeds university website but not found much.

I met up with my friend after my interview and he gave me a brief outline of the timetable (I hope this is accurate)

I think the first term is purely science, with 9-5 lectures/seminars most days bar Wednesdays and IDEALS on a Friday - which he told me you have to get 80% attendance to pass!
You start going on clinical placements (GP or hospital I think) for a half day a week in the 2nd term. I think it's on a Tuesday - you have a half day of GP and then a half day in dissection room doing anatomy. With a similar 9-5 structure the rest of the days.
You also have student selected components in both terms (I think its called RESS) and the amount of work you have depends on which modules you pick, but he said RESS makes up the bulk of his weekly workload. For example, if you take cardiovascular in the 2nd term, you have to write a 1000 word essay each week!
You have access to the dissection room whenever it is open (you don't need supervision) and I got the gist it was well taught.
I have no idea what clinical exposure is like in the 2nd and 3rd years, but tbh a half day a week in 1st year is the norm I would say.

In terms of integration I'm not sure, although I think he said the MedSoc organises lots of events with nurses, physios, dentists etc.

Okay wow a lot of information I'm sorry - but also here is the timetable if you are SUPER KE-HEEN: http://www.medicine.leeds.ac.uk/timetable/
Original post by Tanith44
Don't give up hopeeee (especially to the people considering withdrawing)
They really do keep some interviews until April for people not firming Leeds etc.
My friend got a late interview last April, and now he is a happy first year medic at Leeds!

I know it's the ****s right now (with the lack of information / confusion) but they've been changing their admissions policy loads throughout this cycle (reducing the number of interviews, suddenly interviewing internationals), so you never know, someone might ring up in a months time and be told an extra batch of interviews are being held late April

the wait might be worth something, even if it is just a place on a waiting list or something

Good luck y'all

Hey! So was ur friend put on hold n then they got back to him in April? How does it work?
Original post by Flcheese
I also got an interview today, at 10:24 :smile:

I got 1 too !

Does the work experience form you`ve got make you type in red and underlined ?
Reply 1992
Original post by m3scrumpy
I got 1 too !

Does the work experience form you`ve got make you type in red and underlined ?

mine did when i had my interview, fiddle round with the settings on word, go to review - final markup
and it lets you type normally :smile:
Reply 1993
Original post by heeeello
course if leeds is your dream uni go for it!!!

i was just makin a lil suggestion :P
dont see how it would increase competition by people withdrawing though!!

Well, you have more different people being interiewed then surely? Ah I make no sense, what I meant was that there's still the same number of places at every medical school at the end of the day. I do think Leeds are being weird only interviewing 400 though, they're so popular and with a fairly large year group that I assumed they'd interview lots of people and be picky.

I'm probably withdrawing from Belfast any day now as they're ignoring me, it's my 4th choice and after my interview there's no way I'll be getting an offer :colondollar:.
Original post by GabbiWS
mine did when i had my interview, fiddle round with the settings on word, go to review - final markup
and it lets you type normally :smile:

Fab thanks, just can`t get rid of the blue/grey rectangle now so text starts automatically with a colon to the right of it! Any suggestions?
Reply 1995
Original post by m3scrumpy
Fab thanks, just can`t get rid of the blue/grey rectangle now so text starts automatically with a colon to the right of it! Any suggestions?

that stayed on mine, couldn't find a way to remove it, sent it off like that though and it was accepted :smile:
since we have acknowledged that internationals are being interviewed too, has any of the internationals heard from leeds yet?
Original post by Bec...

What Tannith44 said is right :smile: we have half a day a week on placement from 2nd term in first year
then in 2nd year you do a full day a week
then in 3rd year you start proper placement, so doing 6 week rotations I think it is, with lecture weeks in between.
Lectureswise I think first term was harder, you do the IMS course (introduction to medical sciences) and we had 9-5 most days. this term we're doing core body systems and we've had a fair few half days :smile:
dissection is either tuesday or thursday afternoon (depending on where you are in the alphabet), but you also need to put a lot of self study into that I find. i love it though :smile: And on the day when you're not doing dissection we have 'clinical symposia' which is a seminar where we discuss clinical cases relevant to the lectures
RESS is a lot of work yes, definitely depends on which project you choose! But it is quite self directed so not much timetabled exactly.

hope that helps, good luck :smile:
Original post by Bec...

About integration with other students, I think that's really down to you? The worsley building is kind of in a corner of the campus so sometimes it does feel like medics etc are a bit out of it. but you make your halls friends and you can join societies etc at the union, so it's just what you make it :smile: x
so for those of us who havent heard do we assume a rejection? :frown: just want to know the outcome now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending