The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3880
Original post by annaheidi
Sorry! I totally did not see this post!
I originally wanted to go to sheffield but they rejected me so I a have firmed Reading now and after going to the visit day I know that is the right place for me! I am sooo exciteddd!
Where have you applied /heard from?

Umm I have two off from Manchester and reading :smile: I'm still waiting from Sheffield and UEA but I don't think I want to go to UEA as it's a bit close to home.. Haha. Iv also had a rejection from de Montfort but Im not too bothered about that cos it was my bottom choice. I'm so looking forward to uni, ill probably firm reading depending on what Sheffield say :-)
Reply 3881
Still waiting for MMU to give me an answer. Sent them the written interview a week and a half ago, so will probably need to wait a few more days. If I don't get an offer I'm going to accept Leeds Met's I think.

Haven't done my finance yet, is that through the Directgov site? Excuse my ignorance, I'm not from the UK and am living abroad so I'm not very familiar with how it works there.

Regarding accommodation, I'm thinking of staying in halls for first year. Does anyone know any for MMU that are more for mature students or foreign students, and less for those just out of school? No offence :redface:

Also if I do end up getting MMU it will be a bit of a rush... It says the course starts on the 1st September, while my contract over here finishes on the 29th August! Might just have to move straight from here to there without going home to Ireland at all first. I'll be the jet-lagged one!
Original post by dapto1
Still waiting for MMU to give me an answer. Sent them the written interview a week and a half ago, so will probably need to wait a few more days. If I don't get an offer I'm going to accept Leeds Met's I think.

Haven't done my finance yet, is that through the Directgov site? Excuse my ignorance, I'm not from the UK and am living abroad so I'm not very familiar with how it works there.

Regarding accommodation, I'm thinking of staying in halls for first year. Does anyone know any for MMU that are more for mature students or foreign students, and less for those just out of school? No offence :redface:

Also if I do end up getting MMU it will be a bit of a rush... It says the course starts on the 1st September, while my contract over here finishes on the 29th August! Might just have to move straight from here to there without going home to Ireland at all first. I'll be the jet-lagged one!

Just a thought... but how long have you been living outside of the UK? To be eligible for a bursary and student loan you need to 'Have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man throughout the three years preceding the prescribed date, apart from occasional or temporary absences;' (http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3261.aspx).
Reply 3883
Anyone who's attending the Manchester Open Day today, I'd love to hear what you thought. I couldn't make it, but hoping to go to the one in April.
Just on the train back from Manchester. Love the uni more every time I come to it! Firming it as soon as I'm home. Anyone else's views who went today or anyone else who is firming it? :smile: Emily xox
Original post by Lusanda
Anyone who's attending the Manchester Open Day today, I'd love to hear what you thought. I couldn't make it, but hoping to go to the one in April.

It was amazing! We did a few excersises such as lip-reading and all the staff were so lovely :smile: The just talked through the course, probably email them if you need to ask anything. I love Manchester as a city. Everyone I talked to there said they were impressed with Manchester.
Hope this helped :smile:
xox
Reply 3886
I think I'm going to insure manchester and have Reading as a back up. But I'm 99% sure I won't get the grades for Manchester and probably end up going to Reading, is there any point not firming Reading instead? Will I get rubbish accommodation or something?
sorry if you can't understand this haha
Original post by emilylol
I think I'm going to insure manchester and have Reading as a back up. But I'm 99% sure I won't get the grades for Manchester and probably end up going to Reading, is there any point not firming Reading instead? Will I get rubbish accommodation or something?
sorry if you can't understand this haha

If you know you won't get those grades I wouldnt put it as your firm first choice as if you choose reading as your insurance you will just end up with any accomodation they have left there! so you wouldn't get a choice. I know, Manchesters grades are so high! I'm predicted AAB but the B (which will be in music) is what I'm most worried about :frown: Just going to have to try really hard!!!
All the best xox
Reply 3888
Original post by jennie.stollar
Yeah I applied haha, fingers crossed, just waiting for Reading and BCU now to reply, both my top choices, wouldnt know which one I would prefer tbh. and yeah fair enough, bad experiences do make the day seem even worse ! :smile: was just interested :P I am only concerned about the course having like 70 places so I feel that BCU wont have as much tutor to student ratio, but then its also got its pro's because it means you mix with more people with the same interest. Also wondering why their grades are much lower than other unis. mmm decisions... I hope i get either reading or BCU :P x

Oh right I travelled that morning, had to get up at 5.30 :frown: was a long day ! ireland, wow. what was you wearing? I was the girl in a white top, black skirt, black tights, black dolly shoes, and a grey cardi who walked out and got a drink from downstairs :P yeah I really liked it there, hope they reply soon. how did the written interview go? :smile: I am from hertfordshire, hemel hempstead, kinda nearish to london I suppose :smile:

sorry again for the late reply :P
i had to take a few days off to get there because of the flights and all so was a nice wee break even for the interview. i was wearing a white shirt plain black Trouser and jacket suit with a pair of crippling black heels (which were a bad idea) i had the big bright pink suit case with me. :biggrin: i actualy think i remeber you , you are very lucky as i have a terrible memory . i though the written interview went well although im very nevous about the reply i still havint gotten mine hbu??
Original post by EmilyMS94
Just on the train back from Manchester. Love the uni more every time I come to it! Firming it as soon as I'm home. Anyone else's views who went today or anyone else who is firming it? :smile: Emily xox

Literally firmed Manchester when I got in!!!! Love the city sooooo much, so was always out of MMU or UoM. Everybody from UoM seemed really nice, enjoyed the practicals!
Is anyone aware that nursing and audiology have had their NHS funding cut????I have a feeling this maybe the last intake of SLT they will fund....
Reply 3891
Original post by dibdobmichaela
Is anyone aware that nursing and audiology have had their NHS funding cut????I have a feeling this maybe the last intake of SLT they will fund....

Did you read that somewhere? That really surprises me as the whole bursary scheme for 2012 is new so it's not due for review for another 4 years!
Reply 3892
Original post by Spence_LJS
Just a thought... but how long have you been living outside of the UK? To be eligible for a bursary and student loan you need to 'Have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man throughout the three years preceding the prescribed date, apart from occasional or temporary absences;' (http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3261.aspx).

Yep, well spotted. As far as I know I'm not eligible for the NHS bursary, or the travel bursary. Is the student loan SEPARATE from having your fees paid? If so I'm pretty sure I'm not eligible for that either, so I'll be looking at a bank loan. It's not too bad though, I have managed to save a bit here in Korea and I don't have any previous debts to pay off.

So from what I can make out the only thing I'm eligible for is having my fees paid. Is that application done through the Directgov site?
Original post by dapto1
Yep, well spotted. As far as I know I'm not eligible for the NHS bursary, or the travel bursary. Is the student loan SEPARATE from having your fees paid? If so I'm pretty sure I'm not eligible for that either, so I'll be looking at a bank loan. It's not too bad though, I have managed to save a bit here in Korea and I don't have any previous debts to pay off.

So from what I can make out the only thing I'm eligible for is having my fees paid. Is that application done through the Directgov site?

Yeah, the student loan is separate; but in order to be eligible for it, you must be eligible for the NHS Bursary, I think. Ahh... I have no idea how the fees are paid, though. I think the NHS will contact everyone about this in May. I doubt it's done through the Directgov site - that's for student finance, but it's the NHS who pays the fees. Try the NHS website? There might be an email address... Anyway, I'm not helping :tongue: Good luck! Lemme know what you find.

EDIT: Found this:

Note to students: If you believe you will not be eligible for a Student Bursary after means testing, you are still required to apply if you want us to pay your tuition fees[...]

To apply for an NHS bursary, including any additional allowances, you must be offered either a conditional or unconditional place on an NHS funded course at a University or Higher Education Institution in England.

Shortly afterwards, your university will pass your personal details to NHS Student Bursaries and we will send you a letter or email which will notify you how to create your own personal online account[...]

So you just need to wait for the 'letter or email' :smile: It does kinda sound like you have to be eligible for the bursary, though, in order to be eligible for the tuition fee funding... so you might want to give them a call... :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dibdobmichaela

Where did you see that? I was wondering about this the other day... d'you think the NHS is entitled to stop our funding, halfway through our degree? I.e. Is there any 'legal' obligation for them to fund us for the whole course? :/
Original post by meg:)
sorry again for the late reply :P
i had to take a few days off to get there because of the flights and all so was a nice wee break even for the interview. i was wearing a white shirt plain black Trouser and jacket suit with a pair of crippling black heels (which were a bad idea) i had the big bright pink suit case with me. :biggrin: i actualy think i remeber you , you are very lucky as i have a terrible memory . i though the written interview went well although im very nevous about the reply i still havint gotten mine hbu??

I have a poor memory so admittedly I dont actually remember you, but then I dont remember anyone really :P do you have facebook? :smile:
Did you like BCU? will it be your firm if you get an offer? It will be mine if i get in :/ I'm really worried... they said the end of the month, so hopefully soon ! they also told the interview date after us that they will also hear end of month so they probs doing us together or something. Really worried. When I do get that track update I dont think I will open it for a while cus I will be shaking. I got rejected from Reading and I knew it'd be reading cus I only had BCU and reading left and knew it wouldnt be BCU a few days after the interview haha. I was ****ting myself and could hardly look. Was kinda expecting a rejection though because sooo many people have offers. pretty sure they lost my application and they just sent me the written interview to be polite. :/
In the BCU interview questions I hardly wrote anything compared to others which was worrying :frown: and I wrote quite a few sentences that didnt make sence..... '.............because speech and language therapists does.' :/ ooops !
Good luck ! Fingers, legs, toes, arms, body, and everything else crossed for us both :smile: Do you have any other replies or offers/rejections? x
Original post by Spence_LJS
Where did you see that? I was wondering about this the other day... d'you think the NHS is entitled to stop our funding, halfway through our degree? I.e. Is there any 'legal' obligation for them to fund us for the whole course? :/

no whatever u start with thats what u get until u finish...in the same way that for non NHS funded courses anyone who started a degree in sept 2011 will pay the £3000 fees for their 3/4 years whilst those who start in sept 2012 will pay £9000
Reply 3897
Original post by dapto1

Hi, I am British, but living overseas, and I have been told by the universities that I have to pay all my tuition fees myself,as an international student..... which is a LOT :eek: How are you able to qualify for the NHS to pay your fees? How did you apply for the NHS to pay ? Desperately hoping that I may qualify also:confused:
Original post by rachel2011
no whatever u start with thats what u get until u finish...in the same way that for non NHS funded courses anyone who started a degree in sept 2011 will pay the £3000 fees for their 3/4 years whilst those who start in sept 2012 will pay £9000

That makes sense :smile: Thanks.
Reply 3899
hey is anyone going to the strathclyde offers open day? Think im going to try and go to the one on friday 20th

Quick Reply

Latest