The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sineadp
Thanks, this is helpful to know. Im getting everyone I know to read my statement so we'll see how that goes! Its getting closer now!!

Yeah it is :smile: I've just managed to secure some more observation sessions.. I just contacted my local NHS and suddenly loads of opportunities have opened up!

I've got:
- few days in a SEN school observing their SLT
- two days observing two different SLTs in an NHS clinic
- few days in a private clinic observing their SLTs work with people with learning disabilities.

Then various other bits and bobs (stroke group, Citylit course, hospital career open day...).

Hoping this'll be enough to talk about now. Fingers crossed! It's all coming together finally :smile:

If anyone is looking for shadow experience, you should contact Northwick Hospital in London. They're doing a two day course mid November which includes a shadow session.. think they still have a few places.

x
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello

I am applying for an MSc/PG Dip SLT course soon and I'm still trying to make up my mind where to apply to. I'm pretty set on Reading, UCL, City and Sheffield. I'm thinking about Essex too, but I'm not sure how long this course has been running, and how good it is. Does anyone have any info on this please?

My sister went to Essex uni and enjoyed her degree there, and I know the uni is good but I need details about the Speech and Language Therapy courses specifically. They don't really provide much information about their history on the school/department website, unless I've missed something.

Thanks!:smile:
Reply 382
Hey everyone,

I've just booked on the Citylit course for November 1&2 will anyone else be going too? I'm so looking forward to it, not even just because it will look good on my personal statement but because I'm a total geek and it sounds so interesting! Hope to see some of you there =)

Rhona
Original post by Rhonaa
Hey everyone,

I've just booked on the Citylit course for November 1&2 will anyone else be going too? I'm so looking forward to it, not even just because it will look good on my personal statement but because I'm a total geek and it sounds so interesting! Hope to see some of you there =)

Rhona

You'll loooove it! :smile: Enjoy.
Original post by paperlily3
Hello

I am applying for an MSc/PG Dip SLT course soon and I'm still trying to make up my mind where to apply to. I'm pretty set on Reading, UCL, City and Sheffield. I'm thinking about Essex too, but I'm not sure how long this course has been running, and how good it is. Does anyone have any info on this please?

My sister went to Essex uni and enjoyed her degree there, and I know the uni is good but I need details about the Speech and Language Therapy courses specifically. They don't really provide much information about their history on the school/department website, unless I've missed something.

Thanks!:smile:

Wow can't believe I haven't even considered Reading for their postgrad course (I thought they only offered the BSc for some silly reason). Do you know how many places they have and whether they interview? (I'm assuming all postgrad applicants are interviewed - except at City).

Sorry can't help you RE Essex... hope you don't mind my questions :biggrin:
Reply 385
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Good luck! :smile:

Thanks- and thanks for your help. Your suggestions pretty much doubled my statement, but numerous editing sessions brought it down!!!!
Reply 386
Original post by Spence_LJS
Wow can't believe I haven't even considered Reading for their postgrad course (I thought they only offered the BSc for some silly reason). Do you know how many places they have and whether they interview? (I'm assuming all postgrad applicants are interviewed - except at City).

I've applied for Reading MSc - it would be my first preference as that's where I'm from! I emailed them about the number of places available and I think it was around 18. And yep, they interview

I don't really know much about the Essex course either the websites pretty rubbish!! But I've applied for it anyway.

I've sent off for Reading, Sheffield, Essex & Newcastle, just City and UCL to go, although I really don't want to be in London...

Ah no problem. I'll apply to Essex anyway probably.

I went to a Careers Day at the University of Reading (put on by Berkshire NHS) and I was told that they have 10 places for the postgrad course usually. However this was in July, so it might have changed since then - as Pimpom suggested it might be around 18. I asked the tutor how many applicants it was per place and it's a staggering 45:1 (based on 10 places available). Crazy! I don't have much hope of getting in, but I'm just trying to get as much volunteering experience as I can and kind of hoping having a good degree from Reading already I might stand a chance. I reckon they might only except Firsts though :frown: - given the large amount and therefore wide choice of applicants they have! Eek.

City don't interview? Wow, I'm surprised. I thought all unis would want to see what you are like in person.

Yep, Reading interview for postgrad but not for undergrad.

:smile:
Original post by pimpom
I've applied for Reading MSc - it would be my first preference as that's where I'm from! I emailed them about the number of places available and I think it was around 18. And yep, they interview

I don't really know much about the Essex course either the websites pretty rubbish!! But I've applied for it anyway.

I've sent off for Reading, Sheffield, Essex & Newcastle, just City and UCL to go, although I really don't want to be in London...

Yeah I might go for it anyway!

I'm keen for the London ones or Reading because I know people in this area and like the unis. Sheffield and Newcastle seem so far away!

How did you find the application process for the ones you've applied to already? I'm feeling a bit nervous about asking my tutors for references because I don't really understand how it all works when it comes to that part of the application. I think I remember UCL saying they send an e-mail requesting a reference to your tutors. That's fine, but for the others... do you just need to ask your tutor to write one reference then they send it by post/e-mail to all the unis you applied to? Or do *I* have to obtain it and post/attach/e-mail it myself? Ahhh. So confused..
Original post by paperlily3
Ah no problem. I'll apply to Essex anyway probably.

I went to a Careers Day at the University of Reading (put on by Berkshire NHS) and I was told that they have 10 places for the postgrad course usually. However this was in July, so it might have changed since then - as Pimpom suggested it might be around 18. I asked the tutor how many applicants it was per place and it's a staggering 45:1 (based on 10 places available). Crazy! I don't have much hope of getting in, but I'm just trying to get as much volunteering experience as I can and kind of hoping having a good degree from Reading already I might stand a chance. I reckon they might only except Firsts though :frown: - given the large amount and therefore wide choice of applicants they have! Eek.

City don't interview? Wow, I'm surprised. I thought all unis would want to see what you are like in person.

Yep, Reading interview for postgrad but not for undergrad.

Nope. They've just stopped interviewing because they said it took up too much of their time. Also, the lecturer mentioned something about 'when you interview someone, you tend to like people who are similar to you and have a similar background'. So I guess by not interviewing, they get a better mix... Ach. I think it's mainly 'cause it took up 4 working days of their time!

That ratio is insane... Makes City's 100 places to 650 applicants look much better.

Does anyone know - for undergrad, do you only need one reference?
Also... just going to throw this one out there 'cause I'm intrigued by different people's reasoning:

Why SLT?

Does anyone know - for undergrad, do you only need one reference?

Yes, you only need one, usually from your tutor or current employer, depending on whether you're applying through an institution or as an individual.
Yes, you only need one, usually from your tutor or current employer, depending on whether you're applying through an institution or as an individual.

I graduated two years ago so I've requested one from my old lecturer (he knew me better than my tutor as I only saw my tutor about 3-4 times). Do you think this will be okay? They say they prefer an academic reference and as I graduated fairly recently (ish), I thought he'd be okay?
I graduated two years ago so I've requested one from my old lecturer (he knew me better than my tutor as I only saw my tutor about 3-4 times). Do you think this will be okay? They say they prefer an academic reference and as I graduated fairly recently (ish), I thought he'd be okay?

I was referring to a school tutor rather than a university tutor. The lecturer who knows you best will be fine. :smile:
Reply 394
Hi,

I've just started trying to pull all my ideas together into my personal statement tonight and I have a few (actually many!) questions I was hoping some of you could help me with :smile:

The basic structure I have so far is basically: open with a quick why SLT, followed by why would I make a good Speech & Language Therapist (in this section I've included relevant transferable skills from my current degree course, and voluntary work and what it taught me about SLT) and then finishing with a sort of acknowledgement of the workload/commitment required and what my future plans would be with the degree.

My questions are this:
What has everyone else said for why SLT? I think this is a really difficult question - it's just a career that I've ALWAYS known I wanted to do, and that I find fascinating.
I'm unsure as to whether I should be explaining why I would be a good Speech & Language Therapist or why I would be good for the course, should I be making a distinction here?
Finally - my ideal future plans with an SLT degree would be to get involved with paediatric SLT early intervention in deprived areas (I saw some of these programmes when I shadowed paeds SLTs in really rough areas of Glasgow and they're amazing!) Do you think I should say that this is my ultimate goal, or am I narrowing myself too early by saying I want to paediatrics? I was a student teacher before I decided to apply to SLT so obviously I'm more geared to working with children.

Sorry for the big rambling post, the personal statement is just so important it's scary! I also have no idea how I'll cut it down to 4000 characters as I have a lot of work experience and so much to say about it all!

Thanks for reading =)

Rhona
Original post by Rhonaa
The basic structure I have so far is basically: open with a quick why SLT, followed by why would I make a good Speech & Language Therapist (in this section I've included relevant transferable skills from my current degree course, and voluntary work and what it taught me about SLT) and then finishing with a sort of acknowledgement of the workload/commitment required and what my future plans would be with the degree.

You should talk about work experience and academic achievements then go into why you would make a good SaLT. That way you have a better balance of information.

What has everyone else said for why SLT? I think this is a really difficult question - it's just a career that I've ALWAYS known I wanted to do, and that I find fascinating.

'Why SLT?' is a very personal thing, either because you have personal/family experience of SLT, or were just researching various careers in health care came across it. Thinking about how you found out about the career can help you answer this question.

I'm unsure as to whether I should be explaining why I would be a good Speech & Language Therapist or why I would be good for the course, should I be making a distinction here?

As the course leads to the career, you can talk about both, but make your main focus the course (don't run before you can walk is a good analogy here!).

Finally - my ideal future plans with an SLT degree would be to get involved with paediatric SLT early intervention in deprived areas (I saw some of these programmes when I shadowed paeds SLTs in really rough areas of Glasgow and they're amazing!) Do you think I should say that this is my ultimate goal, or am I narrowing myself too early by saying I want to paediatrics? I was a student teacher before I decided to apply to SLT so obviously I'm more geared to working with children.

Talk about your ambitions if you feel it is relevant, because remember that admissions tutors will be looking for people with a wide interest in various client groups, and many people enter the course wanting to work with one client group, and end up wanting to work with another by graduation!

I also have no idea how I'll cut it down to 4000 characters as I have a lot of work experience and so much to say about it all!

If you need to remove some work experiences, then make sure you keep in the most relevant: direct SLT observations. After that, focus on the three main client groups: children, adults and learning disabilities. If you are still having trouble cutting it down, I can take a look at it for you on the secure PS help forum. :smile:
Original post by Rhonaa
Hi,

I've just started trying to pull all my ideas together into my personal statement tonight and I have a few (actually many!) questions I was hoping some of you could help me with :smile:

My questions are this:

Sorry for the big rambling post, the personal statement is just so important it's scary! I also have no idea how I'll cut it down to 4000 characters as I have a lot of work experience and so much to say about it all!

Thanks for reading =)

Rhona

I have trouble summing up why I want to do SLT too... For me I think it's all about relationships. Helping a child to connect with their peers and parents etc.. Without communication and relationships, I imagine life would be a very lonely/isolated experience. Hmm.. obviously I wouldn't explain it just in relation to children though. And I'd try and make it a bit more coherent :smile: Trouble is - not sounding too sentimental!
I was referring to a school tutor rather than a university tutor. The lecturer who knows you best will be fine. :smile:

Ahh great. Thanks, Phoenix!
Reply 398
I have trouble summing up why I want to do SLT too... For me I think it's all about relationships. Helping a child to connect with their peers and parents etc.. Without communication and relationships, I imagine life would be a very lonely/isolated experience. Hmm.. obviously I wouldn't explain it just in relation to children though. And I'd try and make it a bit more coherent :smile: Trouble is - not sounding too sentimental!

This is a big problem for me too! Anything I write sounds way to sentimental and cheesy and looks insincere! Ah this is stressing me out! Thanks for the help though =) You too Phoenix !
Interesting quote:

"Communication is recognised as an essential human need and, therefore, as a basic human right. Without it, no individual or community can exist, or prosper. Communication enables meanings to be exchanged, propels people to act and makes them who and what they are."

Quick Reply

Latest