The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham Law Students!!!!

Hiii

I have been at Oxford doing History for the last year and have been really unhappy. I'm not that enthusiastic about the course but more importantly, I really haven't settled in to college life and can't adjust to the Oxford atmosphere. I've struggled to make friends and find the setup of it all really lonely.

I have recently received an offer of a place at University of Birmingham to study Law and don't have long to make my mind up if I want to accept it or not.

I've never studied Law and am very scared that if I accept the place and don't enjoy it I will regret not just sticking it out at Oxford.

Have you enjoyed Law? What is the course like? Is it hard? How is it assessed? Do people tend to get a job at the end of it? Do you find it interesting?

I'd appreciate all your help!!! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by lissi08
Hiii

I have been at Oxford doing History for the last year and have been really unhappy. I'm not that enthusiastic about the course but more importantly, I really haven't settled in to college life and can't adjust to the Oxford atmosphere. I've struggled to make friends and find the setup of it all really lonely.

I have recently received an offer of a place at University of Birmingham to study Law and don't have long to make my mind up if I want to accept it or not.

I've never studied Law and am very scared that if I accept the place and don't enjoy it I will regret not just sticking it out at Oxford.

Have you enjoyed Law? What is the course like? Is it hard? How is it assessed? Do people tend to get a job at the end of it? Do you find it interesting?

I'd appreciate all your help!!! :smile:

First year just done.

I like the course. I enjoyed first year.

Is it hard? I didn't really put the work in so I got a mixed bag of results, resulting in a disappointing 2:2 overall, but I didn't find the work during the year hard tbh, nor the exams, but I just did the minimum in terms of work and I did no reading.

It's assessed in first year by 4 exams: contract, tort, criminal and public are all 3 hours, aside from contract which is 2 hours but you have a piece of coursework that constitutes 15% of your module grade. First year doesn't count. I *think* 2nd year is worth 30% of your overall degree so third year is 70%... I *think*.

Do people get a job at the end of it? If you want to be a lawyer, no as you have to do more shizz. If you don't want to be a lawyer, I don't know, but UoB is a prestigious Law school so employers aren't going to shrug you off with a 2:1.
Reply 2
Original post by Jingers
First year just done.

I like the course. I enjoyed first year.

Is it hard? I didn't really put the work in so I got a mixed bag of results, resulting in a disappointing 2:2 overall, but I didn't find the work during the year hard tbh, nor the exams, but I just did the minimum in terms of work and I did no reading.

It's assessed in first year by 4 exams: contract, tort, criminal and public are all 3 hours, aside from contract which is 2 hours but you have a piece of coursework that constitutes 15% of your module grade. First year doesn't count. I *think* 2nd year is worth 30% of your overall degree so third year is 70%... I *think*.

Do people get a job at the end of it? If you want to be a lawyer, no as you have to do more shizz. If you don't want to be a lawyer, I don't know, but UoB is a prestigious Law school so employers aren't going to shrug you off with a 2:1.

Yeah thats understandable.
How much contact time is it a week? How many essays do you get?

what kind of essay questions do you have to do, can you remember any of them?

Thank you for your help! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lissi08
Yeah thats understandable.
How much contact time is it a week? How many essays do you get?

what kind of essay questions do you have to do, can you remember any of them?

Thank you for your help! :smile:

It's 8 hours of lectures + 2 1 hour supervisions a week. You only learn 2 modules a term so it's 5 hours per module. In terms of essays, it's just 1 essay per module. For tort and contract, the questions were problem based and generic essays for criminal and public.
Reply 4
Original post by Jingers
It's 8 hours of lectures + 2 1 hour supervisions a week. You only learn 2 modules a term so it's 5 hours per module. In terms of essays, it's just 1 essay per module. For tort and contract, the questions were problem based and generic essays for criminal and public.

Ahh okay :smile:

Do you remember any of the essay questions you did?

How many people are in a supervision?

Is it a lot of reading?

Sorry about all the questions, but its good to ask someone that's actually studying it!
Reply 5
Original post by lissi08
Ahh okay :smile:

Do you remember any of the essay questions you did?

How many people are in a supervision?

Is it a lot of reading?

Sorry about all the questions, but its good to ask someone that's actually studying it!

I think for Criminal, it was along the lines of 'There is no principled foundation between intention and recklessness. Discuss' and Public was about whether Parliamentary Sovereignty is an immutable factor of our constitutional system. For Tort and Contract we were given problem questions so it's kind of hard to write them out.

In a supervision it's probably about 10-15 people.

Like I said, I didn't do any of the reading. Instead of reading cases, I read their summaries. I read the articles/journals set out for the first supervision of each term but then I stopped (same goes with the cases). I didn't really read the textbook, unless I didn't understand the topic. I'd say that there is a lot of reading if you want to do all of the minimum reading. I remember counting the number of pages I had to read for Tort in one week (~1000), and I only read 3. Bear in mind that you study 2 modules concurrently. I'd say roughly there's about 1500 pages of minimal reading each week.
Reply 6
Original post by Jingers
I think for Criminal, it was along the lines of 'There is no principled foundation between intention and recklessness. Discuss' and Public was about whether Parliamentary Sovereignty is an immutable factor of our constitutional system. For Tort and Contract we were given problem questions so it's kind of hard to write them out.

Can you send me ur essay at [email protected]? the Public one.. about the parliamentary sovereignty.. i just want to have an idea.. have got the same topic :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by gmusavir
Can you send me ur essay at [email protected]? the Public one.. about the parliamentary sovereignty.. i just want to have an idea.. have got the same topic :smile:

Nah, I'm alright. It's pretty easy, just use Mr Gee's lecture notes and the purple book, around page 76 to be precise.

Also, not to be a dick but you need to be more independent. I've seen the amount of stuff you've posted in the UoB Law facebook page and on webct. Obviously those tools are there for you to ask questions, but you need to just relax. Law school's not that serious.

Hopefully you've settled in though.
Reply 8
Original post by Jingers
Nah, I'm alright. It's pretty easy, just use Mr Gee's lecture notes and the purple book, around page 76 to be precise.

Also, not to be a dick but you need to be more independent. I've seen the amount of stuff you've posted in the UoB Law facebook page and on webct. Obviously those tools are there for you to ask questions, but you need to just relax. Law school's not that serious.

Hopefully you've settled in though.

Lol, not to be a dick but for sure those who think 'Law School's not that serious', 'get a 2:2', 'not read the textbook', and 'dont read much'. No offence, cuz i didnt take that as an offence too. And by the way, i have never asked any irrelevant question on webct or on the law school page. Its just that I, like many others, am more concerned about my grades since I am looking forward to another first in my second degree (LLB For Graduates), after securing a first in my first degree in Business. Cheers Jingers.
Reply 9
Original post by gmusavir
Lol, not to be a dick but for sure those who think 'Law School's not that serious', 'get a 2:2', 'not read the textbook', and 'dont read much'. No offence, cuz i didnt take that as an offence too. And by the way, i have never asked any irrelevant question on webct or on the law school page. Its just that I, like many others, am more concerned about my grades since I am looking forward to another first in my second degree (LLB For Graduates), after securing a first in my first degree in Business. Cheers Jingers.

lol you're mad. Going through my posts to see what I've said when I was telling you to just chill, but you took it the wrong way. I see you.

I've figured you out 100% anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by Jingers
lol you're mad. Going through my posts to see what I've said when I was telling you to just chill, but you took it the wrong way. I see you.

I've figured you out 100% anyway.

Lol you took the wrong way too bro. Chillax :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending