The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

linguist786
i couldn't believe i'd never heard of it before! it was like "*me and linguistics* we just clicked! its one thing learning A language, and another learning about the actual concept "language" - i just find linguistics fascinating, and can't wait to get my teeth stuck in it at uni!

Hee hee at least you KNEW it was between two things, all I know is I want to do EVERYTHING I study now apart from English Language hee hee!

I nearly did German and Linguistics and then realised how similar to English Language, linguistics is and nearly died, couldn't have coped, all that scientific sentence and clause analysis!

I love German, I wish there was a way I could keep it but I just can't make up my mind, need to for Extra! I don't mind MOST of the grammar, saying that I always seem to mess it up :smile:

I was always better at French than German, apparently more latinate languages like Spanish and French are easier to learn...I don't know!

--------------

ooh hehe just randomly saw you were born exactly 1 day b4 me hehe, never known anyone older than me in my year b4!
what_a_shambles
Hee hee at least you KNEW it was between two things, all I know is I want to do EVERYTHING I study now apart from English Language hee hee!

I nearly did German and Linguistics and then realised how similar to English Language, linguistics is and nearly died, couldn't have coped, all that scientific sentence and clause analysis!

I love German, I wish there was a way I could keep it but I just can't make up my mind, need to for Extra! I don't mind MOST of the grammar, saying that I always seem to mess it up :smile:

I was always better at French than German, apparently more latinate languages like Spanish and French are easier to learn...I don't know!

--------------

ooh hehe just randomly saw you were born exactly 1 day b4 me hehe, never known anyone older than me in my year b4!

hehe. u seem the complete opposite to me, in terms of "analysing language" - that is SO my thing. some people tell me i'm REALLY silly for having not done english language for A-Level, and i really really regret not doing it! it's so similar to linguistics as u quite rightly put! anyway, what DID u end up applying for?

just seen the last bit of ur post - i know!! if i was born two days earlier, i would be whole year ahead in my education!! what a bummer!
linguist786
hehe. u seem the complete opposite to me, in terms of "analysing language" - that is SO my thing. some people tell me i'm REALLY silly for having not done english language for A-Level, and i really really regret not doing it! it's so similar to linguistics as u quite rightly put! anyway, what DID u end up applying for?

just seen the last bit of ur post - i know!! if i was born two days earlier, i would be whole year ahead in my education!! what a bummer!

I ALWAYS think that, although I prefer the new financial thing, ends up meaning I can afford to go now and think about payin later hehe!

English Language is so so so SO tedious, but the easiest subject in the world (in my opinion!) It is like Linguistics I guess but less socially/psychologically based cause ya do a lot of that in linguistics I guess.

LONG STORY about my app. Just b4 I sent it in October I was gunna apply for German + Lings like I said, the I changed my mind to English Literature courses and I've got 3 offers atm for Lit @ NCL, Lit and Latin @ Notts and English @ JMU...BUT I've had a complete change of heart and really don't want to do English Lit (basically cause I don't enjoy English literature, I enjoy foreign!)
So NOW, I want to go to Liverpool or JMU through Extra and I just don't know what to do, I've got so many ideas: Irish Studies + History, German courses...ANYTHING! Need guidance really hehe
what_a_shambles
I ALWAYS think that, although I prefer the new financial thing, ends up meaning I can afford to go now and think about payin later hehe!

English Language is so so so SO tedious, but the easiest subject in the world (in my opinion!) It is like Linguistics I guess but less socially/psychologically based cause ya do a lot of that in linguistics I guess.

LONG STORY about my app. Just b4 I sent it in October I was gunna apply for German + Lings like I said, the I changed my mind to English Literature courses and I've got 3 offers atm for Lit @ NCL, Lit and Latin @ Notts and English @ JMU...BUT I've had a complete change of heart and really don't want to do English Lit (basically cause I don't enjoy English literature, I enjoy foreign!)
So NOW, I want to go to Liverpool or JMU through Extra and I just don't know what to do, I've got so many ideas: Irish Studies + History, German courses...ANYTHING! Need guidance really hehe

god. what a terrible situation to be in. i wish i could help u!

well guess what i wanted to do before i decided for french with ling? optometry.
linguist786
god. what a terrible situation to be in. i wish i could help u!

well guess what i wanted to do before i decided for french with ling? optometry.

Least ya got your head round it in the end :smile:

I envy talented people and people who have passions! I just want to do everything!
what_a_shambles
Least ya got your head round it in the end :smile:

I envy talented people and people who have passions! I just want to do everything!

i'm sure whatever you end up doing - u'll love it.
and yes, its gr8 to be sure about what u wanna do @ uni! i'm just doing something which i know i will be interested in, and good at.

as for the optom, well i always wanted to do that (at like GCSE time) and chose bio/chem at AS. and it was the biggest mistake of my life! i just looked at the lifestyle of an optician and thought "mmm...nice 9 to 5 job" but didnt even analyse the actual course! i realised a little bit into AS that anything scientific is definitely not for me!
linguist786
as for the optom, well i always wanted to do that (at like GCSE time) and chose bio/chem at AS. and it was the biggest mistake of my life! i just looked at the lifestyle of an optician and thought "mmm...nice 9 to 5 job" but didnt even analyse the actual course! i realised a little bit into AS that anything scientific is definitely not for me!

Aye I wish I was good at ONE thing that I've chosen and awful at the rest lol, then it'd be an easy choice!

God I would have died if I'd taken sciences at AS, would have been insane. Did you end up with 2 Science and 2 Language AS levels? That'd be pretty cool I guess for diversity - good job you got it sorted out though plus you can do ANYTHING with languages (+ linguistics is still a bit sciencey!)
what_a_shambles
Aye I wish I was good at ONE thing that I've chosen and awful at the rest lol, then it'd be an easy choice!

God I would have died if I'd taken sciences at AS, would have been insane. Did you end up with 2 Science and 2 Language AS levels? That'd be pretty cool I guess for diversity - good job you got it sorted out though plus you can do ANYTHING with languages (+ linguistics is still a bit sciencey!)

yes i did french german biology and chemistry

i got AABD (respectively) but i'm doing chemistry this year, and not biology! (not because i preferred chemistry, but my sixth couldn't fit it on the timetable!) i know, so annoying!

and yes i do see what you're saying about linguistics being a little "sciencey" - and i think i will like that! because its not an actual science course, but the concept of linguistics is a little bit scientific - and my study of sciences will help me with it maybe
linguist786
yes i did french german biology and chemistry

i got AABD (respectively) but i'm doing chemistry this year, and not biology! (not because i preferred chemistry, but my sixth couldn't fit it on the timetable!) i know, so annoying!

and yes i do see what you're saying about linguistics being a little "sciencey" - and i think i will like that! because its not an actual science course, but the concept of linguistics is a little bit scientific - and my study of sciences will help me with it maybe

That's not bad for subjects you realised you didn't want to do :smile:, I've fitted all my subs into my A2 course plus beginners Latin and AEA English so it's pretty busy, even though my grades apparently weren't good enough!

It's a good idea to have something sciency cause by doing Lings and French its more diverse than a straight languages couse really :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending