The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark? And what should I do

I just got my GCSE results and I am not too impressed and feel kind of deflated.
These were my results:
English lit - 7 (A)
English lang - 7 (A)
Maths - 6 (B)
Citizenship - 7 (A)
Sociology - 8 (A*)
Psychology - 6 (B)
Re - 7 (A)
History - 7 (A)
German - 6 (B)
Combined science - 6/5 (B/C)

I was 1 mark of a 7 for psychology and 2-3 marks always from the next grade for all my other subjects which just made me feel so upset. Should I try getting them remarked or should I just let it go? Is it really a big deal for me to be worried about? And I feel like the c in my science grade is also dragging me down.

I emailed my college because I really want to do maths and they said they are willing to allow me to do maths in a level even though I got a 6 but they will make me take a small test before hand. I feel like I was also robbed because during my gcses I was in set 2 for maths and my teacher would often skip grade 9 and 8 work and tell us to just focus on getting a 5 or 6 and when I started trying to catch up on the harder topics it was a little too late so I do blame myself to a certain extent

I was told that in order for me to get into top schools I have to have results that are capable of making people widen their eyes, obviously my gcse are quite average so I’m not sure what to do. Should I resist some of my gcses during a gap year after college or something? Also do top universities care about gcse if I do better in college?

My A level subject choice is economics, maths and English literature + and epq, does anyone have good advice? Are there any other throngs I could do to supplement my results for college? What are things I can do to make my application stronger for uni? I just feel a little frustrated right now.
Reply 1
Original post by Jody009
I just got my GCSE results and I am not too impressed and feel kind of deflated.
These were my results:
English lit - 7 (A)
English lang - 7 (A)
Maths - 6 (B)
Citizenship - 7 (A)
Sociology - 8 (A*)
Psychology - 6 (B)
Re - 7 (A)
History - 7 (A)
German - 6 (B)
Combined science - 6/5 (B/C)

I was 1 mark of a 7 for psychology and 2-3 marks always from the next grade for all my other subjects which just made me feel so upset. Should I try getting them remarked or should I just let it go? Is it really a big deal for me to be worried about? And I feel like the c in my science grade is also dragging me down.

I emailed my college because I really want to do maths and they said they are willing to allow me to do maths in a level even though I got a 6 but they will make me take a small test before hand. I feel like I was also robbed because during my gcses I was in set 2 for maths and my teacher would often skip grade 9 and 8 work and tell us to just focus on getting a 5 or 6 and when I started trying to catch up on the harder topics it was a little too late so I do blame myself to a certain extent

I was told that in order for me to get into top schools I have to have results that are capable of making people widen their eyes, obviously my gcse are quite average so I’m not sure what to do. Should I resist some of my gcses during a gap year after college or something? Also do top universities care about gcse if I do better in college?

My A level subject choice is economics, maths and English literature + and epq, does anyone have good advice? Are there any other throngs I could do to supplement my results for college? What are things I can do to make my application stronger for uni? I just feel a little frustrated right now.

Your GCSE results are great! You should not feel deflated and should celebrate your achievements. :biggrin:

In my opinion, you should only get a remark if you need the higher grade to go into your college/sixth form choice because it is risky. You have the chance of potentially losing marks. Considering how you may send multiple papers for a remark, if the grade does not change you will have to pay and that potentially can add up to a lot of money across your subjects/papers. I recommend requesting to see your exam papers first from your school as then you can pick and decide what papers would be the best to send for remarking if you do decide to take the risk. Maybe your teachers can help decide for you?

About top universities, it really depends. All universities will prioritize your A-Levels first but they will look at your GCSEs, personal statement and references. Having high GCSEs can make you a more competitive applicant but If you are thinking of Oxford/Cambridge, they will have admissions tests which they may regard more highly than GCSEs when it comes to making offers. The best thing to do in the meantime is to take a peek at some university courses and their entry requirements as some will require specific A-Level subjects or want specific GCSE grades to be eligible. If you do decide to resit any GCSEs, please note that universities will be able to see that you have retaken and see your previous grade and could question you about it.

Hope this is helpful,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending