The Student Room Group

RAF Fitness test

hi there just a quick question regarding the 1.5mile (2.5km) run on the treadmill for the RAF recruitment process ( which i have tomorrow:eek:)

this has to be completed in at least 11 minutes i believe
so at what speed should i set the treadmill in order to achieve this?

kinda dumb question i know but i'm just having a huge mental block :tongue:

also this is my first post here so a big hello to everyone:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there Marky, and welcome to the student room :smile: im only new myself.

Anyways i completed my 1.5mile run on a treadmill that was set in Km. The Personal Trainer started me off with a quick walk for 5min, to get the muscles warmed up to prevent injury. We then went straight into the deep end he started me on 13.4Kph and told me that if i ran at this speed all the way, i would just pass. (but being competitive i wasnt aiming for a scrape through)
So as the run went on we slowly upped the speed of the treadmill, say 0.5 kph every 2mins or so. At the end i was at 16.5kph and manage to get a time of 10minutes flat.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
yea thanks man that's good

that sounds pretty brutal haha
i wish it was a run on ground like with the army
i already know i can do it like that

anyways how far along are you with your recruitment process now?
Reply 3
Well im currently waiting on a Pre Recruit training Date, where if i pass a bleep test, I will get issued an RTC date.

Its taken me approximatley 2 months to get from initial application through to this point.
How far are you and what are you applying for?
Reply 4
Original post by Marky8703
hi there just a quick question regarding the 1.5mile (2.5km) run on the treadmill for the RAF recruitment process ( which i have tomorrow:eek:)

speed=distancetime speed = \frac {distance} {time}
Just remember, treadmill running is easier than running outdoors. My 1.5 mile treadmill time is 9:28, but outdoors is 10:13.
Reply 6
I used this website to work out the speed at which I had to run..

http://www.csgnetwork.com/runracepacecalc.html

Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by wizz_kid
speed=distancetime speed = \frac {distance} {time}

Does that contribute to the time take to get the treadmill up to speed, no.
Reply 8
Original post by craglyboy
Does that contribute to the time take to get the treadmill up to speed, no.

But does it take a genius to think "Hmm, it can't take any more than 20 seconds for a treadmill to speed up, I'll take that into account when doing the maths." No.
Original post by Marky8703

Hi buddy, good luck for tomorrow get plenty of rest today and don't hit the beer tonight.

If your man in the gym is good, he will take you through the process and show you a list of speed/times etc you need to run at. If he is not so good you will have to fend for yourself, so here are my tips (I did this a few months ago)

1.)Ask for a 5 minute warm up, during this 5 minutes just walk at about 6kph, just to get the muscles a bit loose.
2.)Stick the treadmill at 13.5kph with 0 incline, as far as I know you don't need an incline to pass the PJFT so leave it off, it will be easier and doesn't mean you are a coward all we want to do is make sure you pass this test. 13.5 kph should get you done in 10:30 ish, you can speed it up as you feel comfortable but do not drop the speed below 13.1 i think any lower than 13.1 and it will take longer than 11.11
3.) With the press ups and the sit ups crank out as many you can do in the time provided, if you smash the target keep going, it will look great on your results.
4.) Don't forget to ask him to put some weight on your feet for the sit ups test, they are allowed to do it and it makes them much more bearable. (sp?)

Good luck again!
Reply 10
Original post by woody55
Well im currently waiting on a Pre Recruit training Date, where if i pass a bleep test, I will get issued an RTC date.

Its taken me approximatley 2 months to get from initial application through to this point.

:eek:

i applied back in march and am only as far as the fitness tests which i have tomorrow

i'm trying for Survival Equipment Fitter what bout yerself?
Reply 11
Original post by mikestraws
Hi buddy, good luck for tomorrow get plenty of rest today and don't hit the beer tonight.

If your man in the gym is good, he will take you through the process and show you a list of speed/times etc you need to run at. If he is not so good you will have to fend for yourself, so here are my tips (I did this a few months ago)

1.)Ask for a 5 minute warm up, during this 5 minutes just walk at about 6kph, just to get the muscles a bit loose.
2.)Stick the treadmill at 13.5kph with 0 incline, as far as I know you don't need an incline to pass the PJFT so leave it off, it will be easier and doesn't mean you are a coward all we want to do is make sure you pass this test. 13.5 kph should get you done in 10:30 ish, you can speed it up as you feel comfortable but do not drop the speed below 13.1 i think any lower than 13.1 and it will take longer than 11.11
3.) With the press ups and the sit ups crank out as many you can do in the time provided, if you smash the target keep going, it will look great on your results.
4.) Don't forget to ask him to put some weight on your feet for the sit ups test, they are allowed to do it and it makes them much more bearable. (sp?)

Good luck again!

thanks man sound advice
Reply 12
WoW! I've obviously been quite lucky. Have you had to wait for you trade to open?
I'm going for aircraft tech ( mechanical) I'm getting excited now I've passed nearly everything :smile:
Good luck with the fitness tests tomorrow mate, let me know how it goes.
Reply 13
Original post by woody55

Just to let you know I have just got back from PRTC around 1 hour ago and it is a really good two days! :biggrin:

Fitness test is nothing to worry about if you are relatively fit. Met a few good lads down there and I am currently polishing/wearing my boots already.
Reply 14
Congrats Watson, you finally
Put pen to paper on your contract?
Getting excited for prtc now you said that :smile:
Is it basically to show you what will be happening in basic and how to prepare?
Reply 15
just back from the pjft

skooshed it no problem:tongue:
10.06 for the run ( i nwas told not to go all out just make sure i pass in a good time) and 30 for both push ups and sit ups

now just gonna have to wait for a date for this 2 day stint at halton:biggrin:
Reply 16
Nice one marky, let's hope we get the same date at halton, would be good to at least of spoke to
Someone before hand.
Reply 17
it's possible we will since it's a technical trade we are both going for

i'll pm ya
Reply 18
Original post by woody55
Congrats Watson, you finally
Put pen to paper on your contract?
Getting excited for prtc now you said that :smile:
Is it basically to show you what will be happening in basic and how to prepare?

No need to wait for my final interview date.

It's just to show you around, make sure you go to RTS prepared and know what to expect. It also helps you to meet some people who have the same start date and of course giving you your combat boots. Well worth it.
Reply 19
Original post by Tommmo
But does it take a genius to think "Hmm, it can't take any more than 20 seconds for a treadmill to speed up, I'll take that into account when doing the maths." No.

If someone is going to make a sarcy comment why cant I make one back, admittedly sarcasm does get lost in translation on the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest