The Student Room Group

Mature Students Applying for University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Evening all.

Just had my first reply back - an offer from Bristol, conditional on passing my OU module (or as much of it as possible by August, at 60%).

Really pleased about this, thought I'd get all rejections! I'm 38 and don't even have GCSEs...
Original post by SWPanda
Evening all.

Just had my first reply back - an offer from Bristol, conditional on passing my OU module (or as much of it as possible by August, at 60%).

Really pleased about this, thought I'd get all rejections! I'm 38 and don't even have GCSEs...

Congratulations. Awsome result.
Reply 782
Original post by SWPanda
Evening all.

Don't need em really. I don't have any GCSEs either and I still got in, the Access course I did was considered enough - in your case it is the OU course.

Well done on the offer, Bristol is a great uni. What are you hoping to study?
Reply 783
Thanks guys.

The course at Bristol is Childhood Studies. I'm still waiting to hear from the two Bath unis and Newport, but I only sent my application on Jan 4th.
Reply 784
Currently studying: Art history A level as an evening class
Unis applied for: Oxford Brookes, Reading, Bristol, Aberystwyth and Plymouth
Course applied for: Art History (seems I'm in the minority here!)
Favourite snack: sherbert fountains!

I started university before 7 ago and was forced to drop out, so I was a bit scared about reapplying this year - I only decided to apply just before xmas, and my application was sent on 14th Jan, so it was a bit of a whirlwind! I was expecting conditionals based on the art history a-level, because my A level grades from before are a bit old, but I've been getting offers based on the grades I already have :smile:

So far: Bristol - rejection, Aberystwyth - unconditional, Oxford Brookes - unconditional, Plymouth - conditional, Reading - still waiting

I'm super excited about doing a degree, but slightly worried about whether I'll be eligible for student finance having used it before - they said yes on the phone, but I'll believe it when I see it... Could be a bit expensive otherwise!

Well done to all those with offers :biggrin:
Forgot about this thread.

Got a conditional offer from Northampton, gotta get a DMM (which by my calculations, I already have).
City uni said no
Lincoln said no (sent the qualifications I forgot about, hoping they will reconsider)
Nottingham haven't responded
KCL haven't responded.
Reply 786
Original post by GStevens
I did a Legal Method Cert at Birkbeck and got 42 in LNAT.

Oops, I mean't 24. :-)

haha! well done anyhow.. Good luck!
Congrats to the latest offer holds
Finally some movement from the London unis.

UCL invited for interview in Feb
LSE say 'no thanks'
KCL say 'sorry for delay'

Reading invited for interview in March
Oxford said no after interview in Dec
Winchester unconditional offer.

did u apply seperately for one of these university choices GStevens as the UCAS application form only allows you as another forum member has said upto 5 university choices on ur application,hugh congrats on that Winchester offer :biggrin:
I did a Legal Method Cert at Birkbeck and got 42 in LNAT.

Oops, I mean't 24. :-)

I read the 42 and literally, out loud, said sh****t. 24, is still very competitive, however! Good luck with UCL and KCL!

What score did you get on the cert? I'm currently weighing in at 70% so far, having attained a distinction in the first module.

I've heard nothing from my London uni, QMUL.

It is looking more and more like I will be reapplying next year.
Refused from my only choice because it's full.

Oh well, apply for 2013 then.
Reply 791
Original post by G-Veronica B.O.W

What have you applied for? Which Uni? Sorry to hear that...
Original post by admbeatmaker
I read the 42 and literally, out loud, said sh****t. 24, is still very competitive, however! Good luck with UCL and KCL!

What score did you get on the cert? I'm currently weighing in at 70% so far, having attained a distinction in the first module.

Keep your chin up... still a few replies to come in yet :smile:

Which course and Uni, sorry :frown:

I am getting organised :colondollar:

I have childcare sorted now, and I have filled out my finance form online and have just gathered up all the evidence required...just need to post it recorded delivery on Monday... and hope the buggers send my marriage certificate back recorded/signed for delivery! I will go absolutely mental at them if they lose it:rolleyes:

Just need to decide whether to stick with useing the car to get in to Chester or buy a motorbike :confused:

Good luck everyone else:biggrin:
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
You applied to six universities? How's that possible? I thought the limit was five...

The limit is 5.

However.

UCAS sent the email about fee changes and the swap option just around the time that Oxford sent my rejection letter. It seem entirely possible that the letter and my new choice email may have crossed in the post.

If I had known that Winchester was only going to be £7500 then I never would have chosen Oxford in the first place, would I. :tongue:
Original post by admbeatmaker

74% overall, got a 68% in one of the modules. So far no one has been concerned about individual module marks, just the final result.

I wouldn't give up yet, the London unis seem to take their own sweet time with the mature students.

That's a bummer. Are you restricted to just the one choice for some reason or can you expand your options for next year?
Original post by SWPanda
Evening all.

Well done - that's great!!
About an hour ago.

I'd better have a quick look at my PS, it seems like months since I sent the applications.
Actually, it is months, almost four!

Interview on 22nd this month so time to revisit the exaggerations, embellishments and downright fabrications.

Goodluck, as a fellow mature student, I have an interview on the 23rd for Biochemical Engineering at UCL, with being out of education for so long. Its interesting what questions they could possibly answer other than whats our personal statements and about the course we are studying. Gone through course criteria, admission videos, course content and outcomes.
Reply 798
Hi folks, still celebrating getting conditional offers fro all five courses i applied to at Bangor!
Two of them were masters courses, so i guess i'll be signing up for the full four years!
conditions were passing the access course, no merits or distinctions required! :smile:
Original post by SloaneRanger
Goodluck, as a fellow mature student, I have an interview on the 23rd for Biochemical Engineering at UCL, with being out of education for so long. Its interesting what questions they could possibly answer other than whats our personal statements and about the course we are studying. Gone through course criteria, admission videos, course content and outcomes.

I've found little on the website about interview content except for the stuff on http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/prospective/undergraduate/index.shtml?entry_tips

At least for this one, Law, there doesn't seem to be a law specific interview.

Good luck to you on the 23rd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending