The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RO'Gara
Does anyone know how long the tour lasts, I want to go on it but my interview is at 2pm?

20-30 minutes

Original post by trammie
to those of you who've had your interview or letter - I'm still waiting on mine...
what time is the tour? the guy at the admissions office wasn't really sure, he said 12pm or 1pm - i'm just asking so i know what train tickets to book.

thanks!

One tour at 1pm and another at 2pm
Reply 1041
Original post by trammie
to those of you who've had your interview or letter - I'm still waiting on mine...
what time is the tour? the guy at the admissions office wasn't really sure, he said 12pm or 1pm - i'm just asking so i know what train tickets to book.

thanks!

Original post by RO'Gara
Does anyone know how long the tour lasts, I want to go on it but my interview is at 2pm?

On my day, the tour was at 1pm (but it might be different at different days) and everybody was back before the afternoon interviews started - but if you're worried call up and ask :smile: it might change depending on when the students are free to do the tours!
When you all that have interviews sent an email back saying that you could make it, did you get a reply back?
Original post by MSheekey
When you all that have interviews sent an email back saying that you could make it, did you get a reply back?

I havent :smile:
Reply 1044
Original post by hookguy
20-30 minutes

Original post by twelve
On my day, the tour was at 1pm (but it might be different at different days) and everybody was back before the afternoon interviews started - but if you're worried call up and ask :smile: it might change depending on when the students are free to do the tours!

My letter says the tour is on at 1pm on my day so was just getting worried about going on it in case it made me a little late.
Reply 1045
Original post by hookguy
20-30 minutes

and for how many people do they make the tour?
Reply 1046
Original post by hoonosewot
Prosection. Much better as a learning tool in my opinion.

why do you think so?
Reply 1047
Original post by arth
Please can someone explain this to me?

the difference between prosection and dissection?

prosection is when someone already cut certain parts and organs and you will only see what's inside. you won't cut.

dissection is when you seperate the parts of the body and cut it by yourself.
Original post by mgflynn
anyone still waiting for a interview or a rejection?? still heard nothing from them since they recieved my application, anyone same??

They give out interviews right up until late March/April, so don't panic! Also I think they give UKCAT-based rejections out in March time as well, so don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet either way! There's still plenty of chance for an interview :smile:
Original post by MGA
Does anyone know some website where I can find some medical news, as I am afraid they might ask me in the interview.

I have been having trouble finding one since its difficult to find one that doesnt have a lot of specific/technical terms that i may not understand or that is not too basic and abstract.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

For all of my interviews I just used the Health section of BBC news - not too much jargon and easy to read, and they'll cover all of the main stories.

Good luck for your interview :smile:
Original post by MGA
why do you think so?

Because with prosection you get to examine and play around with well dissected body parts and can clearly see all the structures that you need to.

In dissection you often have some fresher who has no idea what he's doing butchering a useful specimen and not dissecting it well enough to see what you actually need to see.

So you can spend 2 hours looking at various excellent specimens, or far longer watching your coursemates try and dissect them (there will rarely be enough for everyone to get their own). The only advantage is you might get a better understanding of surface anatomy, but unless you actually go on to be a surgeon it's largely irrelevant, and it's stuff you'd be retaught again anyway.

Dissection's one of those things everyone gets excited about, then they do it and realise it's just not that good.
Reply 1051
Original post by xconfetti
For all of my interviews I just used the Health section of BBC news - not too much jargon and easy to read, and they'll cover all of the main stories.

Good luck for your interview :smile:

aw thank you :smile:

have you already had yours?

in case you havent, good luck for you too!
Reply 1052
Original post by hoonosewot
Because with prosection you get to examine and play around with well dissected body parts and can clearly see all the structures that you need to.

In dissection you often have some fresher who has no idea what he's doing butchering a useful specimen and not dissecting it well enough to see what you actually need to see.

So you can spend 2 hours looking at various excellent specimens, or far longer watching your coursemates try and dissect them (there will rarely be enough for everyone to get their own). The only advantage is you might get a better understanding of surface anatomy, but unless you actually go on to be a surgeon it's largely irrelevant, and it's stuff you'd be retaught again anyway.

Dissection's one of those things everyone gets excited about, then they do it and realise it's just not that good.

thanks for the explanation :smile:
Original post by MGA
aw thank you :smile:

have you already had yours?

in case you havent, good luck for you too!

No problem! :smile:

I'm a first year medic at Newcastle :smile: Any questions just ask! Can't promise I'll be able to answer though seeing as it's only 10 weeks into the course!
Reply 1054

I'm a first year medic at Newcastle :smile: Any questions just ask! Can't promise I'll be able to answer though seeing as it's only 10 weeks into the course!

Oh congratulations, then! :biggrin:

I hope I can say the same in 1 year time :smile:

Do you have any advice on how I should prepare to the interview?
Original post by MGA
Oh congratulations, then! :biggrin:

I hope I can say the same in 1 year time :smile:

Do you have any advice on how I should prepare to the interview?

Haha, I hope so too for you! :smile:

Umm basically, make sure you read up on the latest news topics, what's going on in the NHS, how the NHS works etc, and know answers to the questions they might ask you about yourself, but also make sure not to over-rehearse! For me and most of the other people I've spoken to the Newcastle interview was more like a chat, as well as assessing what you actually say, they want to see that you can interact well with other people at the end of the day. Also I'd say one of the most important things is to chill the night before and the morning of the interview, get a good night's sleep, and basically try to make yourself as relaxed as possible.
Does anyone here know how long it'd take to reschedule an interview at Newcastle? The guy hasn't gotten back to me and it's been 6 days :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MGA
and for how many people do they make the tour?

As many as turn up, for me it was about 10 people
Reply 1058
Original post by Metastasis
Does anyone here know how long it'd take to reschedule an interview at Newcastle? The guy hasn't gotten back to me and it's been 6 days :frown:

Email him again, or phone up.
Reply 1059

wheres the best place to live in the first year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending