The Student Room Group

Good Television Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm, just watched the first episode of Strikeback vengeance. Pretty typical episode from them, but I quite like it. The locations are great and the character dynamic between the Scott and Stonebridge.

There was another Ross Kemp extreme world shown last night. I always like them, very informative and tend to focus on areas other shows don't. So long as you can tolerate Kemp's stupid little mannerisms then they are worth a watch.
Reply 981
The Borgias has actually been pretty good this season, a vast improvement :pierre:

Never seen Breaking Bad should try and get into it.

Season 5 has got a metacritic score of 99/100 :sogood:
Reply 982
Original post by doggyfizzel
Hmmm, just watched the first episode of Strikeback vengeance. Pretty typical episode from them, but I quite like it. The locations are great and the character dynamic between the Scott and Stonebridge.

Strikeback is a fun show to watch, its basically 24 on crack with loads of sex and over the top stuff. If only the storylines were anywhere near as engaging as 24 it would be very good.

Anyway the pilot for Revolution is out, don't know if I want to watch it yet though as the show isn't properly out 'till the 17th, so to watch the next episode I'd have to wait overt two weeks :holmesL
Reply 983
Haven't watched a comedy in a while, can't decide between Community and Entourage?
Reply 984
Original post by Deshi
Haven't watched a comedy in a while, can't decide between Community and Entourage?

I'd say Community but I'm a little biased. Could never get into Entourage after watching a couple of episodes.
Reply 985
Original post by Roobsa
I'd say Community but I'm a little biased. Could never get into Entourage after watching a couple of episodes.

The thing is HBO rarely ever let me down, but loads of people like Community :beard:
Original post by Deshi
The thing is HBO rarely ever let me down, but loads of people like Community :beard:

I hate Community.

Entourage is generally okay, sometimes a bit weak.

Should check out any of these you haven't seen first, because I have SUPERLATIVE TASTE:

Venture Bros
Archer
Eastbound and Down
15 Storeys High
Monkey Dust
Marrion and Geoff
The Thick of It
Veep
Green Wing
Reply 987
How can you hate community?! Are you dead inside?!

Community is my favourite show, potentially ever if the next series are as good.

To any sane people here, watch community.
Original post by concubine
I hate Community

Should check out any of these you haven't seen first, because I have SUPERLATIVE TASTE:

Venture Bros
Archer
Eastbound and Down
15 Storeys High
Monkey Dust
Marrion and Geoff
The Thick of It
Veep
Green Wing

*Jaw Hits Floor*

you can't say you hate community in the same post as recommending trash like Green Wing, I mean, you just can't!

Monkey Dust is dubious as well.

I'll give you the rest though.
Original post by Mister Dead
*Jaw Hits Floor*

you can't say you hate community in the same post as recommending trash like Green Wing, I mean, you just can't!

Monkey Dust is dubious as well.

I'll give you the rest though.

Dude, what?

Green Wing and Monkey Dust **** all over Community. Community has like... 2 hot actresses, and one funny character. The rest are awful. The 'aspergers' dude needs to die, as does the fat black woman, and the black guy, the main character is boring as ****ing... grass. Why would I watch that ****? The awkward hot woman should just take off her ****ing clothes.

Worst show, mayn.
Dude, what?

Green Wing and Monkey Dust **** all over Community. Community has like... 2 hot actresses, and one funny character. The rest are awful. The 'aspergers' dude needs to die, as does the fat black woman, and the black guy, the main character is boring as ****ing... grass. Why would I watch that ****? The awkward hot woman should just take off her ****ing clothes.

Worst show, mayn.

This makes me sad :frown:

Such a wonderfully complex and warm show criticised in such a perfunctory manner. Should we apply the same rules to critique Monkey Dust?

I can't make you like what you don't like though.

Monkey Dust had its moments, usually when the animation was really great, but I found it fairly short on ideas and repetative, especially in the second season. And it made my head GNNNNNNNNNGGGGG every time they used a great Boards of Canada song in an average sketch. I dunno where to start with Green Wing - I love Mark heap and he was excellent in it, as was Tamsin Greig, but the 'lulz RANDOM!' nature of it was profoundly grating. And the script was mediocre and just not that funny. I'd rather just cut to the chase and watch Smack The Pony.

Community IMO is head and shoulders above these programs in almost every possible way. It almost lost its way a little in the second season, and the clay-mation special is a truly abysmal episode, but aside from that i'd say it's a fairly unique sitcom (I dunno really) and one of the best shows out there. It doesn't have the 'laugh count' of many other shows, but then neither did King of the Hill and i'd still argue that's one of the greatest comedies of my lifetime.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 991
Is Suits any good?
Reply 992
Original post by TM94
Is Suits any good?

It's decent. Watched the first season and quite liked it but for some reason there was just this niggling feeling I got that the show tried too hard.
I've been watching The LA Complex (first season). It's pretty trashy but the characters are mostly decent and I enjoyed it. Definitely give S2 a whirl.

[video="youtube;lyr-hiR-KXM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyr-hiR-KXM[/video]
Reply 994
The best show on TV returns. :sogood:

[video="youtube;PZJ7E_iTwZQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJ7E_iTwZQ&feature=relmfu[/video]

:adore:
The first episode of the new season of Sons of Anarchy was somewhat grim, the first time the show has ever really felt as gritty to me as The Shield managed to in places.

Original post by TM94

[video="youtube;PZJ7E_iTwZQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJ7E_iTwZQ&feature=relmfu[/video]

I dunno. I think Breaking Bad is better (current season excluded), but yeah. Pretty excite for this to start again. After BB Boardwalk and Homeland are my favourite current dramas.

Original post by TM94
The Borgias has actually been pretty good this season, a vast improvement :pierre:

Never seen Breaking Bad should try and get into it.

Season 5 has got a metacritic score of 99/100 :sogood:

It's the weakest season so far, sadly. Far too much over the top silliness and dumb ****. So, I guess, thinking about it, it'll probably remain with the highest rating because, you know, people like dumb, sensationalist things. (very much aware that Sons of Anarchy is like this, but Sons of Anarchy has always been like this whereas BB seems to be pandering to its growing fan base).

I've tried to watch the first season of The Borgias a few times but I never pay enough attention and whilst it seems really promising (hard for something with Jeremy Irons in not to) it never clicks. Maybe I'll just skip to the latest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 996
I hate Community.

Venture Bros
Archer
Eastbound and Down
15 Storeys High
Monkey Dust
Marrion and Geoff
The Thick of It
Veep
Green Wing

Missed this post. Will have a look though them. Put the new episode of Sons of Anarchy on the other day, and was a few minutes into it before I realised I hadn't finished watching season 4 :facepalm2:
Original post by TM94

Aaaaah I've been loving the Borgia's this season!! During the first season, I found it could drag a little at times but the second season's been really good so far :smile:
Helps that I love Jeremy Irons too...
Original post by TM94

I'm on the mad dash though seasons 1-2. One of the those shows I was supposed to watch then never did, then season 2 came out, and I was like fml I so far behind now. That is being rectified. Only 24 hours worth of programs to watch, so I hope to clear them pretty quick. S1 E10 currently.
Reply 999
Just finished the first season of The Good Wife and got to say I thought it was excellent. Would highly recommend! Looking forward to starting season 2.

Also, anyone catch Lilyhammer on BBC4 which started the other night?

Quick Reply

Latest