The Student Room Group

Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine (Certificate of Higher Education), 2011

I've managed to get an unconditional for this course in October at Birkbeck University of London, I can't wait the university seemed really nice and location wise is brilliant. I spoke to a few universities and they placed this course on higher ground then certain Access to Medicine courses as it provides a more in-depth knowledge in chemistry and biology.

Anyone else starting here and what are you looking to do after, I'm still thinking
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey, i've just finished the life sciences course- i enjoyed it very much, learnt lots of interesting stuff- im sure you will too :smile:
my chemistry exam results are due on fri, so depending on that, i should be starting the biomedical degree at birkbeck. Other people in my class are planning to go onto to do degrees in pharmacy, nutrition and dietetics, biological sciences, biomedicine and there are other areas. this access course is highly regarded and i know people who have gone into kings, and other UoL uni's to study further. perhaps you could sit down with one of the lecturers and discuss future prospects, they would be more than happy to help you out :smile:
all the best!
Reply 2
Original post by baggins

Original post by baggins
Hey, i've just finished the life sciences course- i enjoyed it very much, learnt lots of interesting stuff- im sure you will too :smile:
my chemistry exam results are due on fri, so depending on that, i should be starting the biomedical degree at birkbeck. Other people in my class are planning to go onto to do degrees in pharmacy, nutrition and dietetics, biological sciences, biomedicine and there are other areas. this access course is highly regarded and i know people who have gone into kings, and other UoL uni's to study further. perhaps you could sit down with one of the lecturers and discuss future prospects, they would be more than happy to help you out :smile:
all the best!

I was told there would be classes held on some saturdays etc how often are these held a month as I don't want this to clash with work. Another quick question, how did you find the chemistry and biology exams at the end of the year.
Hello Im student from Italy and I complied the application form this evening, Do you think I have any possibility to get into the course?

Thank's :smile:.
Reply 4
Original post by Shamzmix_34

Original post by Shamzmix_34
I was told there would be classes held on some saturdays etc how often are these held a month as I don't want this to clash with work. Another quick question, how did you find the chemistry and biology exams at the end of the year.

well theres up to about 8 saturdays i think- some are chemistry/biology catch up classes and others to do with the personal development module and skills etc. it is preferable that you attend though not mandatory as all info paperwork handed out during these sessions will be available to you electronically via blackboard. also the exams i would say were not extremely hard, but not very easy either...they're ok! biology was alright. chemistry i found easier than expected..but i may have gone and jinxed myself now!
Reply 5
Original post by Francescox24

Hello Im student from Italy and I complied the application form this evening, Do you think I have any possibility to get into the course?

Thank's :smile:.

If you have the correct attitude and experience then you should have a decent possibility of you getting in.
Well I have Italian A-level in Food science, Hygiene and Dietetic with 70% (BBB)
I attended a Red Cross course for Ambulance service in 2006

And Im trying to be a volunteer in St John Ambulance, if they accept me :smile:

and I did few applications for access to HE Nursing and Medicine but I don't understand if I have interview in a college, do have I time for another interview or after Interview I must sign?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7

Well I have Italian A-level in Food science, Hygiene and Dietetic with 70% (BBB)
I attended a Red Cross course for Ambulance service in 2006

And Im trying to be a volunteer in St John Ambulance, if they accept me :smile:

and I did few applications for access to HE Nursing and Medicine but I don't understand if I have interview in a college, do have I time for another interview or after Interview I must sign?

You sound like a credible person for this course, all Birkbeck requires from you is that you send in your application form and supporting information online, they will then get back to you in 2-3 weeks and which point they will set a date for interview. They require you to bring along a completed Chemistry/Biology assessment pack that you do in your own time so they can assess your suitability, it is at the interview stage that they confirm whether you have gained a conditional or unconditional place.
After long time I add news , well I am going to addend Cert HE allied to medicine at Birckbeck university :biggrin:

Someone else?
Yes I'm also going, chemistry and biology options :smile:
Reply 10
We all need to purchase a scientific calculator for the course and need it latest by the 1st October on our induction, its a Casio FX - range that we should aim to buy it from, well that's what I read in the information pack I was emailed by the course administrator.
Reply 11
Hi all can anyone tell me if which centre and which timings should I choose for this course. Do you recommend any specific tutors or timings for this course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending