The Student Room Group

Postgraduate conversion courses and funding

Hi everyone, quick question. I've seen somewhere online that student finance isn't available for people doing conversion courses (e.g. the GDL), but I wonder if this is because it counts as an undergraduate degree and you can only get loans for one..?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by clarinclo
Hi everyone, quick question. I've seen somewhere online that student finance isn't available for people doing conversion courses (e.g. the GDL), but I wonder if this is because it counts as an undergraduate degree and you can only get loans for one..? If that were the case, what if you had never received loans before? (I studied abroad, basically).

Hi there,
In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there,

2. How old you are.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi Isaac,

1. A graduate diploma course at Birkbeck, not sure exactly which just yet.
2. 29
3. British... so I assume there's no need to answer the other questions
4. I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology from the Netherlands

I would need to know which course in order to see if it's an eligible course. Postgraduate healthcare courses which are graduate diplomas or teaching courses are eligible for funding.

Conversion courses are eligible but it must be a full masters course not a graduate diploma. Our guidance states:
All applicants must be undertaking a full stand alone master's course and not a partial master's course requiring a lesser number of credits as a result of undertaking a previous course. Therefore, they can't transfer credits from a previous course to their master's as this would count as Accredited Prior Learning (APL) and this would mean the course is no longer eligible for a PGM. They therefore must be enrolled on a full master's course to be eligible to receive the PGM.

You wouldn't be able to receive a postgraduate loan for a graduate diploma.
Thanks, Isaac
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your response. As I understand it, Birkbeck's Graduate Diploma in Economics, for example, is a stand alone course and not a shortened version of a master's programme. Would the above still apply?
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your response. As I understand it, Birkbeck's Graduate Diploma in Economics, for example, is a stand alone course and not a shortened version of a master's programme. Would the above still apply?

Economics (Graduate Diploma) at Birkbeck course code GDGECNMC is an eligible part time course that attracts undergraduate funding.

The graduate diploma is a level 6. As you already have a level 6 qualification you would not be eligible for this course.
You can only be funded for a qualification that is higher or an exception course.

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Thanks, Isaac, that's very helpful
Thanks, Isaac, that's very helpful

You're welcome. I hope you have a great evening :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there,

2. How old you are.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

I am in the process of applying to study a Law conversion course, and am in the final year of my undergrad. I wondered whether I would be eligible to recieve funding for the conversion course? I would like to get an idea of this before submitting my applications as I am required to submit information regaring my intended method of funding my education.

I am submitting applications to multiple institutions, so am undecided on which specific one I will be attending, however the course is a Law Conversion Course (GDL, PGDip, Professional Practice Course etc.) with a duration of 1-2 years max.

I am 20 years old at present

I am a British Citizen, a home student, and have had permanent residence in the UK for well over 3 years now.

I am currently pursuing a BA (Joint Hons) in English and History at QMUL, in my final year and set to graduate May 2024 (and recieve my degree in July)

Please let me know if you require any other information, or if there is anywhere else I can contact you.

Many thanks!

(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by niveditham
Hi Isaac,

I am in the process of applying to study a Law conversion course, and am in the final year of my undergrad. I wondered whether I would be eligible to recieve funding for the conversion course? I would like to get an idea of this before submitting my applications as I am required to submit information regaring my intended method of funding my education.

I am submitting applications to multiple institutions, so am undecided on which specific one I will be attending, however the course is a Law Conversion Course (GDL, PGDip, Professional Practice Course etc.) with a duration of 1-2 years max.

I am 20 years old at present

I am a British Citizen, a home student, and have had permanent residence in the UK for well over 3 years now.

I am currently pursuing a BA (Joint Hons) in English and History at QMUL, in my final year and set to graduate May 2024 (and recieve my degree in July)

Please let me know if you require any other information, or if there is anywhere else I can contact you.

Many thanks!

Hi there,

We don't fund Legal Practice courses themselves, it would need to be part of a LLM course to possibly be eligible for Postgraduate funding. We would suggest confirming your full course and university, start date etc and we can check if it shows on the system.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending