The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
Who said it was mockery?
Ever heard of 'having some fun'? Clearly not.

I'm sure some of the people looting in Tottenham last night were having fun as well. I think "it was just a bit of fun" should be a new defence in criminal trials as well tbh.
Reply 41
LOL. Well... I don't even know how to react to that.
Reply 42
Original post by whyumadtho
You have access to the definitions of every word I use here. Given that, it is fully possible for you to argue against the apparent faults in my arguments; the notion that you don't understand what I'm saying doesn't hold. The fact that you cannot refute my points does not mean my points are too confusing or irrelevant, it just means your argument has been dismantled. :h: Learn to concede an argument instead of resorting to ad lapidem and ad hominem arguments, because it is evident that when you say my argument or character is faulty without evidence, you cannot argue the actual point any more.

By that logic, bullying doesn't exist because it's just 'having some fun'. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
But I do understand everything you say, and that is my point - it is mostly bull****, the type commonly spouted by an autist. You mask an incredibly basic and/or irrelevant argument by making it extremely long and overly complex. Yet once you shift through the ****, it is clear why you use such a ploy; you have no idea what you are trying to argue.

So I shall repeat my question: Why is acting on a stereotypical image bad? It is only a bit of fun.

And no, bullying is not 'a bit of fun' as the intent is to cause grief. :facepalm: Again you make ridiculous comparisons.

Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi
I'm sure some of the people looting in Tottenham last night were having fun as well. I think "it was just a bit of fun" should be a new defence in criminal trials as well tbh.

:facepalm2:

Yes, causing criminal damage and trying to be destructive is the same as dressing up as a stereotype. Ever heard of motives???
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
$75,000 because Wigger Day made her 'so depressed' she almost dropped out of school?

What a load of ****.
:rolleyes:
But I do understand everything you say, and that is my point - it is mostly bull****, the type commonly spouted by an autist. You mask an incredibly basic and/or irrelevant argument by making it extremely long and overly complex. Yet once you shift through the ****, it is clear why you use such a ploy; you have no idea what you are trying to argue.
If you understand my arguments fully you would not comment on my English or character disguising the weakness, but would attack the weakness directly. Why don't you do this? In recent arguments, you have done nothing but say my arguments are 'bull****' without any evidence or reasoning. You eventually resort to ad nauseam without ever explaining what was so wrong with my argument. If they are so terrible and you fully understand why they are so terrible at a fundamental level, they should be easy to refute, no?

So I shall repeat my question: Why is acting on a stereotypical image bad? It is only a bit of fun.

And no, bullying is not 'a bit of fun' as the intent is to cause grief. :facepalm: Again you make ridiculous comparisons.
Are you seriously suggesting bullies do not derive enjoyment from the ability to cause distress to another? Wow. Why do you think people bully others if there is no personal gain? It's not 'a bit of fun' because there is not mutual appreciation of the event--it's bullying. :rolleyes:

It is just propagation of an ultimate attribution error. The stereotypical constructs that plague America should be deconstructed by any responsible authority, for the reasons stated in the post I linked. Do you genuinely believe everyone was doing it in good 'fun' and they secretly didn't actually believe all 'black' people acted like that? If they did, they would not participate in such a denigrating and offensive event. As I said previously, mocking people on a small-scale is classed as bullying, so why is this any different?

The person in question felt a sense of grief from the mockery of their ethnicity. Was there any direction given, or was it just 'act how you think black people do'? There's no value or educational merit to this event, it is just a disgusting platform to bully minority groups.

It's just like having a day to 'act like a Southerner' and everyone behaves like backwards hillbillies. It is deeply offensive to people who hail from Southern states, as it is an archaic, false stereotype (by definition) that only serves to belittle minority groups due to the negativity effect and ultimate attribution error. Every Southerner in the school would be demonised, mocked and sneered at for the day without any ability to remonstrate because it is sanctioned by the very authority that should protect them from such abusive behaviour.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
If you understand my arguments fully you would not comment on my English or character disguising the weakness, but would attack the weakness directly. Why don't you do this? In recent arguments, you have done nothing but say my arguments are 'bull****' without any evidence or reasoning. You eventually resort to ad nauseam without ever explaining what was so wrong with my argument. If they are so terrible and you fully understand why they are so terrible at a fundamental level, they should be easy to refute, no?

Oh look, another overly long and convoluted reply. Damn the internet being a magnetic for autists. I do refute your points with ease but you always go off on some random tangent that has no connection to any points being made.Iirc in the Africa thread you started to argue 'what is a nurse though' which had no relevance and was utter pretentious rubbish or just look below.

Are you seriously suggesting bullies do not derive enjoyment from the ability to cause distress to another? Wow. Why do you think people bully others if there is no personal gain? It's not 'a bit of fun' because there is not mutual appreciation of the event--it's bullying. :rolleyes:

Oh look, yet again you failed to read what I posted :clap2:

It is just propagation of an ultimate attribution error. The stereotypical constructs that plague America should be deconstructed by any responsible authority, for the reasons stated in the post I linked. Do you genuinely believe everyone was doing it in good 'fun' and they secretly didn't actually believe all 'black' people acted like that? If they did, they would not participate in such a denigrating and offensive event. As I says previously, mocking people on a small-scale is classed as bullying, so why is this any different?

The person in question felt a sense of grief from the mockery of their ethnicity. Was there any direction given, or was it just 'act how you think black people do'? There's no value or educational merit to this event, it is just a disgusting platform to bully minority groups.

It's just like having a day to 'act like a Southerner' and everyone behaves like backwards hillbillies. It is deeply offensive to people who hail from Southern states, as it is an archaic, false stereotype (by definition) that only serves to belittle minority groups due to the negativity effect and ultimate attribution error. Every Southerner in the school would be demonised, mocked and sneered at for the day without any ability to remonstrate because it is sanctioned by the very authority that should protect them from such abusive behaviour.

I think that the people did it out of fun and it was simply reacting a small stereotype within the black american culture. To think that to dress up means you have to believe in what you are wearing is just stupid. Does that mean every student who has painted themselves to be a smurf thinks they are a smurf? Haha, righto. :rolleyes:

Also, how do you not know the difference between 'act like a Wigger' and ' act like a Black'. A wigger specifically relates to whites trying to recreate black ghetto culture.......not all black culture. As always, you need to do some research on the social side of this event more.
Oh look, another overly long and convoluted reply. Damn the internet being a magnetic for autists. I do refute your points with ease but you always go off on some random tangent that has no connection to any points being made.Iirc in the Africa thread you started to argue 'what is a nurse though' which had no relevance and was utter pretentious rubbish or just look below.
You don't recall correctly. That never happened, dear. :h:

If your 'refutation' extends to, 'That's just bull****. You're so autistic. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:', you're more stupid than I thought. :biggrin:

A more demonstrable example would be the burqa thread; what was wrong with my argument?

Oh look, yet again you failed to read what I posted :clap2:
You have suggested this is not bullying because bullying requires grief. The 'fun' to which you refer is a fundamental aspect of bullying. It may seem like all-round fun, but that's because you're only looking in the perspective of the bully. It's not fun and is bullying, because the victim doesn't mutually appreciate the mockery.

I think that the people did it out of fun and it was simply reacting a small stereotype within the black american culture. To think that to dress up means you have to believe in what you are wearing is just stupid. Does that mean every student who has painted themselves to be a smurf thinks they are a smurf? Haha, righto. :rolleyes:
Yes, they think they are representing a Smurf's attributes. All 'black' people are 'black' and all Smurfs are blue--no offence caused because it is factually correct. This, however, pertains to behavioural representation; i.e., 'this is the psychological characteristic associated with this incidental physical characteristic inextricably'--do you see the offence? Their representation caused severe distress, which suggests there is a negative and offensive perception of what it is to be 'black'. Nobody challenged these stereotypes under the guise of 'fun', so the bullying and ignorance was left unchecked.

Where is the value in the unstructured mockery of a minority group? Can you tell me how it differs from the offensiveness of 'act like a psychologically impaired person day'? It is extremely denigrating and only fuels the inherent ignorance of people who believe in stereotypes.

Also, how do you not know the difference between 'act like a Wigger' and ' act like a Black'. A wigger specifically relates to whites trying to recreate black ghetto culture.......not all black culture. As always, you need to do some research on the social side of this event more.

The article that you linked said, 'where white students pretended to be black'. In any case, my grievance is with the lack of educational merit and the propagation of stereotypes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Are you serious? :indiff:

Yeah, I'm raising the point of she's actually made her race look bad by doing this.
Reply 48
You don't recall correctly. That never happened, dear. :h:

If your 'refutation' extends to, 'That's just bull****. You're so autistic. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:', you're more stupid than I thought. :biggrin:

A more demonstrable example would be the burqa thread; what was wrong with my argument?

Bless, you have no idea what you are on about any more. I do refute your points with sound logic, but you go off on some irrelevant and convoluted tangent every time. Clearly I am not alone on this opinion as you always get threads closed for doing this.

You have suggested this is not bullying because bullying requires grief. The 'fun' to which you refer is a fundamental aspect of bullying. It may seem like all-round fun, but that's because you're only looking in the perspective of the bully. It's not fun and is bullying, because the victim doesn't mutually appreciate the mockery.

No, I said bullying is done to cause grief and within that amusement is found.

Yes, they think they are representing a Smurf's attributes. All 'black' people are 'black' and all Smurfs are blue--no offence caused because it is factually correct. This, however, pertains to behavioural representation; i.e., 'this is the psychological characteristic associated with this incidental physical characteristic inextricably'--do you see the offence? Their representation caused severe distress, which suggests there is a negative and offensive perception of what it is to be 'black'. Nobody challenged these stereotypes under the guise of 'fun', so the bullying and ignorance was left unchecked.

Right. Your logic is bordering on drunk or crazy.

Where is the value in the unstructured mockery of a minority group? Can you tell me how it differs from the offensiveness of 'act like a psychologically impaired person day'? It is extremely denigrating and only fuels the inherent ignorance of people who believe in stereotypes.

The article that you linked said, 'where white students pretended to be black'. In any case, my grievance is with the lack of educational merit and the propagation of stereotypes.

Why is dressing up like a group mockery? :rolleyes: Also, lets not forget, it is the ghetto that chose the fashion, they are not forced to act of behave like that.

Anyway, don't bother replying as I can not be bothered replying to your ridiculously illogical and socially impaired reasoning.
Only in America ..
Reply 50
I thought it was a joke term for people like Tim Westwood that mostly gets used by black people themselves :s-smilie: even so I'm gay and straight people use words like gay, homo, queer all the time as a pejorative term for effeminate behaviour or as if sexuality is something bad but it's never really bothered me lol...
Original post by DirtyPrettyThing
Yeah, I'm raising the point of she's actually made her race look bad by doing this.

She 'represents' nobody but herself. By your logic, she has made all women, brown-eyed and black-haired people look 'bad', too (what is the problem of suing them for a clearly offensive and irresponsible act?) Does the person living in rural Democratic Republic of Congo know or care about this story? How are they suddenly 'represented' by one person's actions?
I just wish my school did it :sad:
Reply 53
To 'celebrate' a behavioural trait under the pretence that it is attached inextricably to 'black' people propagates a stereotype that an educational authority should aim to reduce. If they said 'African-American Culture Day', or something similar, I would have no problem; however, I find the notion of 'acting like a black person' offensive, because there is not an archetypal set of behavioural traits for 'black' people, as ethnicity is inconsequential to a person's psychological attributes.

Ethnicity involves cultural ties, often strong ones. Culture influences behaviour.

Original post by BenjyK
Ofcourse it's racist, even the fact that they used the term wigger in the title makes it racist from the start, there's no way of "acting black" or even "acting White" for that matter.

You might as well say there's no way of 'acting French', but if asked to I'd still don a beret, find some onions and start speaking in a French accent.
(edited 12 years ago)
Bless, you have no idea what you are on about any more. I do refute your points with sound logic, but you go off on some irrelevant and convoluted tangent every time. Clearly I am not alone on this opinion as you always get threads closed for doing this.
Two people arguing, but it's only one person's fault? Okay. I would have received a warning or alert if my arguments were so irrelevant, but I haven't, so they're not. It ends up circular because you continuously use ad lapidem arguments and selectively answer questions.

As I said: your inability to understand what an analogy is doesn't mean my argument is inherently poor.

No, I said bullying is done to cause grief and within that amusement is found.
If someone is given free reign to mock and offend a minority group using stereotypes and no-one will stop them, do you not see how that can give rise to abusive behaviour our bullying? Can you please stop avoiding my questions and tell me how it is different to an 'act psychologically impaired day'? Where is the educational merit of this? What has been learnt if all that is taught is pure ignorance? There's no cultural awareness or education at all.

Right. Your logic is bordering on drunk or crazy.
Another ad lapidem? Oh dear, even when using your own analogy you still don't understand it. :erm: Read it again. My logic is 'crazy', but you can't actually explain why... :K:

Why is dressing up like a group mockery? :rolleyes: Also, lets not forget, it is the ghetto that chose the fashion, they are not forced to act of behave like that.
It is not representative of 'black' people and should not be associated with them. It's not, 'act like a gangster day', it's 'act like a black person day'. The two are not inherently linked and should not be seen to be.

Anyway, don't bother replying as I can not be bothered replying
Ad nauseam. Check.

to your ridiculously illogical
Ad lapidem. Check. :teehee:

and socially impaired reasoning.

Ad hominem. Check.

Ding ding ding! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: So predictable.
Original post by L i b
Ethnicity involves cultural ties, often strong ones. Culture influences behaviour.
It is not the school's place to ascribe behavioural traits (especially unfavourable ones) to a particular group of people. This isn't cultural awareness or comprehensive education on a particular culture, it's 'act how you think black people do', which has caused extreme distress, since it fuels ignorance and is nothing more than bullying and denigration, as a product of the salient ultimate attribution error used in society.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why?
It is merely a bit of fun.

You call that fun? If it was by a small group of students it probably could be seen as fun, but a whole school endorsing it? Thats ridiculous
Reply 57
Original post by FrigidSymphony
Aw, does white people pretending to be black hurt your already severe inferiority complex? The only bad thing about this is that anybody who dresses or acts like that, black or white, is a feckin eejit that needs a slap.

Oh ffs! What isit with you White boys on TSR always commenting on my apparent 'inferiority complex' :rolleyes:
Reply 58
Original post by BackDoorEntry
You call that fun? If it was by a small group of students it probably could be seen as fun, but a whole school endorsing it? Thats ridiculous

Well why not? Look at where they did it. Probably as much cultural diversity as that state is use to.
Original post by pepsihot
Oh ffs! What isit with you White boys on TSR always commenting on my apparent 'inferiority complex' :rolleyes:

It was me the first time, numbnuts, and people comment on it because from the way you talk about black people and racial issues it seems obvious that you have an inferiority complex.

Latest

Trending

Trending