The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrWannabe
Good luck to the candidates being interviewed on the 14th, 15th and 16th.

Thanks! :smile: Mine's on the 16th... Can't believe it's here in 2 days! Time flies...
Original post by Metastasis

Original post by Metastasis
Thanks! :smile: Mine's on the 16th... Can't believe it's here in 2 days! Time flies...

I know right, it'll soon be September and you'll be moving into Hillhead :P

Best thing is. You'll only have about 4 weeks to wait for an answer. Some poor people have been waiting since November.
Oh my, interview! Wasn't expecting that.
Original post by BlissJunkie

Oh my, interview! Wasn't expecting that.

Gratz :biggrin:

What date you got?
Original post by DrWannabe
Gratz :biggrin:

What date you got?

Thank you. It's on the 29th of February at 15:10. I live in Plymouth and taking the train costs about £450, thankfully the plane costs less. :tongue:

Thank you. It's on the 29th of February at 15:10. I live in Plymouth and taking the train costs about £450, thankfully the plane costs less. :tongue:

Cool. A good two weeks notice too. Plenty of time to prepare. Good luck :smile:
Reply 1086
I am panicing.
Havnt heard a word from Aberdeen and iv got a feeling that they've pretty much given out all their interviews. Want to cry :'(
Original post by Shalo1
I am panicing.
Havnt heard a word from Aberdeen and iv got a feeling that they've pretty much given out all their interviews. Want to cry :'(

Please don't cry :frown:

No news can be good news.
Aberdeen have requested a reference from my college for me... Good sign?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1089
Original post by Shalo1
I am panicing.

i havent heard either and thats because my application is stuck with the fee status assessors :/
so the med school had no chance to look at my application yet
Hi was wondering has anyone from N.I heard from Aberdeen starting to panic now that more interviews have been givin out. :s-smilie:
Original post by Farwa
i havent heard either and thats because my application is stuck with the fee status assessors :/
so the med school had no chance to look at my application yet

That sounds rather odd...usually fees are sorted out after offers are accepted :s-smilie:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
That sounds rather odd...usually fees are sorted out after offers are accepted :s-smilie:

Except that the international quota means they will probably have a different list for international students to be made offers from, so that they don't go over their 7%.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Except that the international quota means they will probably have a different list for international students to be made offers from, so that they don't go over their 7%.

How annoying.
Original post by jude2112
Were your grades anything like mine? :smile:

at GCSE i got 4A*, 5A and 1B
at AS i got 5B and an A* in my extended project
UKCAT was 600

in my favor is that i go to a rubbish school that has been rated poor by OFSTED so i hope the medical school will feel sorry for me haha
its my only hope lol
Reply 1095
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

yes it is odd and annoying :frown: because i just got told that my application wont be getting processed till they decide my fee status :redface:

Thanks, i've given it a read. So am I right in saying that the main teaching methods are case-based learning, and clinical attachments?
Original post by CalumBlack
Thanks, i've given it a read. So am I right in saying that the main teaching methods are case-based learning, and clinical attachments?

Years 1-3 are still primarily taught by lectures, with case based learning as an additional thing. Clinical attachments are used in all years, fairly minimally to start but enough to get you exposed to patients, and years 4 and 5 are pretty much entirely hospital/GP based with small group tutorials relevant to the rotation you're on.

However, I'm too old to actually have experience this CBL teaching stuff (new curriculum only came in in 2009), so we'll ask someone who's done it:

TooSexyForMyStethoscope
x

See above :wink:
Original post by CalumBlack

As Becca Sarah says the course is lecture based. For each system block there are online cases, which I think are technically optional to work though. For respiratory and cardiovascular we only had 1 case for each which was a bit useless, but they have developed more cases for our more recent blocks so I think its to do with it being a new thing. Each case takes roughly 20 minutes to go through and consists of scenarios and questions covering normal and disease physiology and anatomy and looking at treatments. There is usually some kind of problem solving after the physiology teaching for a block. We have case based discussion lectures too, where near the end of a block some cases are presented and we are taken through them. This varies in interactiveness.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1099
Well, its been a long couple of months and nothing. I am convinced that I am rejected but they didn't send me anything.

Completely lost hope, I just wish they would reject me so I can pursue other options...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending