The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Music

Just wondering how much harder is it than higher? Like do the compositions have to be quite complicated and are the listening questions much different?

:smile:
Original post by Leeham1874
Just wondering how much harder is it than higher? Like do the compositions have to be quite complicated and are the listening questions much different?

:smile:

From what I understood of the syllabus to be when I did it, the increased complexity is only in the form of time restrictions/lengths and performance level. Your performance level has to be one grade above that of Higher (and longer of course) but for listening it's just a matter of the same concepts but more of them at once in shorter amounts of time and less repeats. For the composition it's simply longer than what you have to do at Higher, while the complexity you have to reach remains more or less the same.

There's also an analysis essay you have to do but all of the coursework (composition and the essay) are NABs rather than externally examined.
Reply 2
Performing - long pieces/altogether time and you have to up the level a bit. Be really really comfortable in both instruments =]

Composing - Isn't sent away but your teacher will be looking for a lot more mature stuff, intricate ornaments and more than a piece in C major with 4/4 =p

Listening - same concepts, harder excerpts. Not too hard really =]

Essay - I loved doing the essay =D I picked two pieces of music I really felt passionately about, and in some points turned it into more of an English essay =P If you like your two pieces and your question, this section is fine!

Over all I adored Ad. Music! You have (or should!) a lot more freedom to get things done, less supervision from teachers etc. It was a lot more relaxed and was a great course. I'd definitely suggest it if you love/want a career involving it.
Advanced Higher music is a piece of piss, I can't believe it can call itself an advanced higher.

Grade 5 playing
Multiple choice listening exam
1000 word essay, which doesn't even count as part of your mark
two tiny little compositions which also don't count as part of it.

I had fun, but only because it was so easy that we could just piss about.
Original post by sophie4815
C major with 4/4 =p

Hey, nothing wrong with C major 4/4. Most of the last movement of Beethoven's 5th is in C major 4/4 :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by j.alexanderh
Hey, nothing wrong with C major 4/4. Most of the last movement of Beethoven's 5th is in C major 4/4 :wink:

This I know, but if you want the okay nod in Ad. Music you best be putting a wee appoggiatura in there or something ;p
Composing - Isn't sent away but your teacher will be looking for a lot more mature stuff, intricate ornaments and more than a piece in C major with 4/4 =p

One of my compositions was in D Major 4/4 :p:

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by ukdragon37
One of my compositions was in D Major 4/4 :p:

Spoiler

Ahhh very nice ;]
I took a scene from a film and a tv character and played to my strengths - bs-ing about the story to fit the random time changes ;p
Not going to lie I was really proud!

How did you find the essay writing?
Ahhh very nice ;]
I took a scene from a film and a tv character and played to my strengths - bs-ing about the story to fit the random time changes ;p
Not going to lie I was really proud!

How did you find the essay writing?

The essay writing was alright if you were ok with the English essays. Just make a load of stuff up and claim to see what others can't :p:
Reply 9
Original post by ukdragon37
The essay writing was alright if you were ok with the English essays. Just make a load of stuff up and claim to see what others can't :p:

This in bold is why I loved it - Before Music Geek i'm a Drama geek =P
Took music from two dramatic tv/movie scenes and gave myself the question about it 'creating a vivid atmosphere'
Loved my life =P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending