The Student Room Group

The worst books you've ever read

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingMessi
Agreed. I think people have a habit of just automatically disliking books they have to read for English. :erm:

True, yes. Also people hate studying their favourite books because they have to analyse it to shreds... :erm:

I tend to like most books I have to study, I'm pretty open to all types of literature :smile: however, I absolutely HATED Pride and Prejudice. I had so little enthusiasm for it, it actually affected my grade for my coursework. I found it so unbearably boring - yet so many people in my class actually really enjoyed it! :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Luckily I adored studying Hamlet, that boosted my grade from a middle C to a high B :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
'Hides'

The only book I've ever not finished reading is The Lord Of The Rings (Fellowship then put me off the other two). So dull and boring!
The Sea by John Banville. Can't believe it won the Booker Prize.

Almost Moon by Alice Sebold.
Reply 383
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown possibly the worst book ever written, how he has made so much money is a mystery to me
Reply 384
2 more:
Arctic Drift - Clive Cussler, my little brother could do better
13, rue Therese - Self indulgent tripe and I had a feeling the author was masturbating to one of the scenes she wrote, not cool
The worst book I've ever read has got to be City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. The writing's just really, really bad. It reads like a bad fanfiction and the purple prose made me cringe.
Original post by SimBa14
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown possibly the worst book ever written, how he has made so much money is a mystery to me

I didn't mind Angels and Demons as a coach journey read, and I can think of plenty of worse books that have sold a lot - The Twilight Series are the archetype obviously, and Jacqueline Wilson has managed to sell around 30 million copies in the UK alone.
Original post by Jabberwox
True, yes. Also people hate studying their favourite books because they have to analyse it to shreds... :erm:

I tend to like most books I have to study, I'm pretty open to all types of literature :smile: however, I absolutely HATED Pride and Prejudice. I had so little enthusiasm for it, it actually affected my grade for my coursework. I found it so unbearably boring - yet so many people in my class actually really enjoyed it! :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Luckily I adored studying Hamlet, that boosted my grade from a middle C to a high B :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yeah, that's part of it I guess as well.

Me too! Well, I didn't hate Pride and Prejudice, but it didn't inspire me - the worse one was Emma. I found Emma relentlessly dreary, and was caught between admiring Jane Austen's narrative style and command of English, and wishing that she would've used her talents to write something a bit more stimulating.

Hamlet, on the other hand, is fantastic - as is 'The Tempest'.
Jane Eyre
Probably one of the only books i haven't finished
The Wasp Factory.
For some reason I have a tendency to hate fabulous books the first time I read them and then change my opinion entirely on the second read. This happened with Lord of the Flies, the Virgin Suicides and To Kill A Mockingbird. Lord of the Flies is actually one of my favourite books now... strange. :s-smilie:
Original post by seanfromtheblock
to be honest, I just don't understand why anyone would want to read a play, that's not what they're for.

I always think you get different things out of reading the text, and seeing it performed. :smile: Seeing it performed definitely unlocks it all a bit more though, I saw a great production of Othello that made me really enjoy reading it again later.
I'm not a Twilight freak or anything, actually I quite dislike the plot line. I mean you should never have a perfect character and the lack of violence was distressing, but the way it was written was pretty good.
And I did quite like the bit when Bella/Edward hated each other. Hehe ^)
Original post by TheUnderCOVER
Jane Eyre
Probably one of the only books i haven't finished

Oh , please try it again. :redface: It's so wonderful once you get into it. :yes:
'As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner
Reply 395
Empire of the Sun by JG Ballard is pretty awful.
Reply 396
Does anything eat ****?

I had the misfortune of reading it. You can go ahead and burn any copies you find without reading.

With reviews like "Blank paper would have been a better gift".
Reply 397
Original post by DeafeningSilence
I'm not a Twilight freak or anything, actually I quite dislike the plot line. I mean you should never have a perfect character and the lack of violence was distressing, but the way it was written was pretty good.
And I did quite like the bit when Bella/Edward hated each other. Hehe ^)

:lolwut:

http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/

Ok! Point taken :colondollar:
But there is some element of good writing, I added quite a few words to my vocabulary while I was readinhg the saga. (Even if it did come straight out of the thesarus.)
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Ok! Point taken :colondollar:
But there is some element of good writing, I added quite a few words to my vocabulary while I was readinhg the saga. (Even if it did come straight out of the thesarus.)

Please feel free to point it out to us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending