The Student Room Group

Primary Education 2012 - Official Thread

Well I'm not actually applying for the 2012 one (Well I hope not, if all goes well!) but still interested in what other people are going for/how they're finding the application process and interview stages (when it eventually comes to that - believe me it comes round fast :smile:)

So how many of you are planning on applying for the 2012 entry?
Have you begun your personal statement yet?
Any ideas on which Uni's you're going to look into?
Are you wanting to do Early Years (3-7) or General (5-11)?

I applied to Leeds Trinity, Sunderland, Northumbria and York St John and went through their interview stage so if anyone ends up applying to these and wants information on the interview just quote me! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

you applied for a place at York St Johns and got an interview, how was it? what sort of things did you get asked? did you have to do some sort of presentation or was it like a group interview? I am going to the open day on Sat so hopefully i will find out a bit more. what did you think of any of the other universities that do primary ed? (sorry for all the questions)
btw for my p.statement i don't know where to start (help!)

What AS and A2 level grades did you get and in which subjects?
Sorry if I'm being nosy but I've just got my AS Level results and I have a B in Maths, Accounting and Psychology and a D in Economics (dropping).

I've been panicking I won't stand out in the application process and won't get a place for Early years education!
Reply 3
Original post by HTaylor177
Hi,

you applied for a place at York St Johns and got an interview, how was it? what sort of things did you get asked? did you have to do some sort of presentation or was it like a group interview? I am going to the open day on Sat so hopefully i will find out a bit more. what did you think of any of the other universities that do primary ed? (sorry for all the questions)
btw for my p.statement i don't know where to start (help!)

York St John itself was a lovely Uni! The only thing for me was that I didn't like York itself when I actually went to visit. The whole side streets and having to transport by foot or bike wasn't my scene as I wanted to take a car wherever I go and you find that it's very time consuming to travel by public transport/car there due to the roads. I didn't have to do a presentation at York, but some Uni's require that you do. It was a group task which was observed by an assessor where you were given an object and had to use this object and explain how you would apply it to the national curriculum. A task I didn't really like as I felt a lot of people were fighting to speak so it was difficult to get a say - making it look like I was shy/poor at communication! It also involved a single interview with somebody who asked questions like why I wanted to be a teacher, what I'd seen in teaching that I thought was good/bad, how would I improve it. My experience and what I've learnt from it. You will also be required to sit a small Maths and English task so that the Uni can see if you have any weaknesses which need to be worked on i you were to accept a place at their Uni.

In all honesty York was the only Uni which I wasn't keen on because of where it was as I said earlier. Northumbria and Sunderland I LOVED but I wanted to move away from home. Leeds Trinity I have also fell in love with as the campus is so snug and safe feeling, and I'll be attending there in September. :smile:

Original post by needsomeadvice
What AS and A2 level grades did you get and in which subjects?
Sorry if I'm being nosy but I've just got my AS Level results and I have a B in Maths, Accounting and Psychology and a D in Economics (dropping).

I've been panicking I won't stand out in the application process and won't get a place for Early years education!

I didn't actually do straight A levels so I can't really comment on your grades. I did a diploma in Society, Health and Development with an EPQ, and a 6 unit BTEC in Health, Social Care and the Early years. I got a B in my diploma, an A in my EPQ and a distinction in my BTEC. Generally the entry requirements for most Uni's in primary teaching is 280 points. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Just to remind those that are doing their Personal Statement, don't forget there's always the forums on here if you want it checking as it can make all the difference between you being straight rejected or accepted for interview :smile:
Hi! I'm applying for Primary Education at Nottingham Trent and York St. John (and then some similar courses at Nottingham Trent and University of Derby)
2nd time lucky I hope!
I attended a York St. John interview last year and it is still my favourite place - maybe just beating Nottingham Trent!
I also had to do the task with the object like Lisa said above, and it was really difficult as a lot of people were fighting to talk. Sometimes it was awkward as you accidentally spoke over the top of someone - you know when a brainwave hits you? haha - but if you show that you're considerate and interested in what the others are saying too and speak when you can, it's fine - I think one of the parts of this task was not just to prove you have good ideas, but to show you can work in a team to lesson plan like you do when you're a teacher.
The interview itself was very relaxed and the lady who I had was very chatty and friendly. It was quite nerve racking, but you had open ended questions - like how your experiences were at your work placements - and then types of questions where you needed to get the answers they were looking for - for example, why a child could be misbehaving or struggling with their work. Just be yourself. I know one girl in my group spoke over everyone in the group task and whenever someone came up with an idea, pulled it to pieces as to make herself look better. In her individual interview she was then asked what experience she had working in schools to which she said none. To be honest, if you avoid those mistakes, I think you'll be fine!

I took A2 Biology, AS Maths and A2 English Language last year, but this year I'm retaking my Biology and Maths and I'm doing AS and A2 art in one year, so hopefully I will have 3 and a half A-Levels.
I think the points this year are 260, but they might go up as they have previously.
I'm applying for Primary Ed this year! Definitely applying to CCCU + Durham, then I need to choose three more from Birmingham City, York St John, Sheffield Hallam, Chester, Roehampton, Reading, and Northampton.

I've also just finished my first draft of my PS but I have too much (never though I'd say that!) work experience and I'm 1000 characters over the limit. I'm happy with it overall though so I hopefully don't have to tweak too much.

How is everyone else getting on?
Reply 7
I'll be applying for Primary Ed this year, very exciting :smile:
I think I've finally decided on Durham, Brighton, UWE, Plymouth and Winchester (although I'm not too sure on UWE!)
Written way too much for my PS so need to cut that down :s-smilie:, just not too sure what to cut out XD
Original post by thompsonic7
I'm applying for Primary Ed this year! Definitely applying to CCCU + Durham, then I need to choose three more from Birmingham City, York St John, Sheffield Hallam, Chester, Roehampton, Reading, and Northampton.

I've also just finished my first draft of my PS but I have too much (never though I'd say that!) work experience and I'm 1000 characters over the limit. I'm happy with it overall though so I hopefully don't have to tweak too much.

Hi,
Sounds great, good luck. I study Primary Education at Roehampton University and love it. I would definitely recommend having a look around if you can-the campus is amazing. The next Open Day is Saturday 8th October.
Let me know if you have any questions at all!

Hi, I absolutely loved York when I visited, it's my favourite so far. The city is lovely and a lot of the campus is new and the library looks great. I'd recommend you visit :smile:
Also, I'm from Sheffield, so any questions you have about it feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by RUAmbassador
Hi,
Sounds great, good luck. I study Primary Education at Roehampton University and love it. I would definitely recommend having a look around if you can-the campus is amazing. The next Open Day is Saturday 8th October.
Let me know if you have any questions at all!

Original post by glitterphobia
Hi, I absolutely loved York when I visited, it's my favourite so far. The city is lovely and a lot of the campus is new and the library looks great. I'd recommend you visit :smile:
Also, I'm from Sheffield, so any questions you have about it feel free to ask! :smile:

Thank you both! I'm definitely interested in Roehampton + York, so I'll probably have to take you up on your offers and bombard you with questions in a few weeks time!
Thank you both! I'm definitely interested in Roehampton + York, so I'll probably have to take you up on your offers and bombard you with questions in a few weeks time!

you're welcome! haha, might see you at an interview there hopefully :smile:
Hello guys!!! im applying for primary education 2012 too :smile:
good luck everyone, im sooo scared!!!!
Reply 13
hi everyone, this will be my second year applying, I was rejected last year but got through to interview stage. How do you think I should go about applying this year, should I use similar personal statement as that got me interview last time and should I use the same referees (who will probably use the same references!) obviously I will add what I have been doing in the previous 12 months but wondering what I should do for the best???? any advice welcome
Reply 14
I study at Roehampton (marketing) and I must say, the university is fantastic, if you're gonna apply there make sure you do it the now, and get a firm offer so you can get a place at the university provided student halls which is really cheap compared to rest of London.
Reply 15
Original post by moorey7
hi everyone, this will be my second year applying, I was rejected last year but got through to interview stage. How do you think I should go about applying this year, should I use similar personal statement as that got me interview last time and should I use the same referees (who will probably use the same references!) obviously I will add what I have been doing in the previous 12 months but wondering what I should do for the best???? any advice welcome

I personally wouldn't use the same one again as it might make the people look at it and think "what's changed?!" You've also got the problem of keeping within the character limit. You're going to have to remove some of what's written to write about what you've done over the past year as like you said, the University's will want to know that you have put that time to good use. You've probably got some good things to write from the past year!

My best advice to you would be, if you're really not that keen on changing it then use your original one and write it again from the beginning. You can always copy and paste bits in that you think haven't changed and want to include again! There's also this which you may find useful:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_a_Teaching_Personal_Statement

I'm sure whatever you do, it'll be great! Good luck with getting that offer this time round :biggrin:
Hey, I am going to apply to do a BA Primary Education course starting in Sept 2012. Just wondering where other people are appling?

I am going to apply to Worcester, York St John, Sheffield Hallam, Canterbury Christ Church and Bishop Grosseteste in Lincoln.

Has anyone applied already and been given an interview?

:smile:
I'm also applying to Canterbury, York and Sheffield, so hopefully I'll see you at the imterviews! :smile:

Sent my application off on the 7th, no interviews yet :frown:
hey! i'm applying for primary education too. and im applying to york st john, northumbria, sunderland, durham and hull.

and i have an interview with york st john on the 9th of november!!! very scared!
Reply 19
Hello,
I'm also applying for primary education and am applying at york st john, oxford brookes, bishop gross. (Lincoln), Winchester and Leeds!
SO far have had been asked for interview at ysj and winchester but were both on the same date so have had to ask for a different date for winchester!

Are you appying for early years or junior?

Quick Reply

Latest