The Student Room Group

Primary Education 2012 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by icnthelpit
I am too :smile: Only problem is that although I really like YSJ, it's my lowest offer, so having a higher insurance would be silly :/
Where are your other offers from?

That's exactly the same situation with me! Haha. But I have another offer that's exactly the same as York, so I got told to put that as my insurance if I do decide to firm York :smile:.
And I've got conditionals from YSJ, Leeds Met, Northumbria, Sunderland and Chester :smile:
Original post by Jem_x
I'm in the same situation with Winchester and have just sent them a polite email asking when I should expect to hear :smile: x

awww did you hear back from them? :smile: x
Reply 1182
Original post by Miss Sweet
awww did you hear back from them? :smile: x

They replied this morning saying they were still considering my offer. However, I have now decided to withdraw my application from Winchester as even if they did offer me a place I would pick it!

--

Received an offer from Durham earlier today! Really got to make my mind up now, between Durham, Canterbury and Brighton with Plymouth as my insurance choice. x
Original post by Jem_x
They replied this morning saying they were still considering my offer. However, I have now decided to withdraw my application from Winchester as even if they did offer me a place I would pick it!

--

Received an offer from Durham earlier today! Really got to make my mind up now, between Durham, Canterbury and Brighton with Plymouth as my insurance choice. x

Aww that's pretty good ya'Know bless :smile: x
Reply 1184
Original post by Goalkeeper45
hey, was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice to share for an interview at St Mary's uni? :smile:

Hey! I had an interview at St Mary's on Wednesday 22nd feb, and just found out today that I got an offer :smile:
The interview is really relaxed, my interviewer was lovely and made me feel so at ease! I found the written task the hardest part of the day, which I was quite surprised about as I usually find them the easiest. For that we were just given a quote and had to use our own knowledge along with that to write an answer. The group interview involved us being split in to small groups (of around 3/4) and choosing a topic, for example homework, which we then wrote some ideas about on a big piece of paper and presented to the other group. In the individual interview I was only asked 3 or 4 questions, the usual - why do you want to study here, why do you think you'll make a good teacher, and about your experience etc! You honestly don't need to worry, the interviewers are all so lovely and make you feel really relaxed :smile: I hope this has helped you slightly, and good luck!
Reply 1185
Original post by Jem_x

--

Ahh, I haven't heard anything from Winchester yet either, and I sent my ucas off at the beginning of December?! I'm glad I'm not the only one, haha :smile:
Original post by izzie.
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've applied to do English in Education @ York and haven't yet heard back from them since applying in November, (and its my first choice! typical haha!), when did you hear from them least year? Just so that I have a (possible!) sort of time to look forward to! :smile: Thankyou! xx

Hey,
I'm doing English in Education! I think I got the offer late March/early April, because there were some visit days in April that I couldn't make. Good luck! I hope you get in, the course is brilliant! xx
Reply 1187
Hi has anyone got any tips for interviews at BCU and Roehampton? starting to worry cos my interviews are very soon :s
Reply 1188
Original post by RachaelAdorkable
Thank you :smile: And I've chosen English too, I wasn't too keen on Reading to be honest, it was just a last choice. What was your individual interview like? I've heard from someone else that they are good? Thanks.

Hiii

What makes you not keen on Reading?

My individual interview was fine- i had the male english teacher and he was lovely
They seem genuinely interested in you. They will discuss what you have been doing english wise- i assume you do english for a level. You will discuss your choosen piece of work. Its good also to read so you can discuss what you have read lately and why you like it. I was able to discuss harry potter and it worked :smile: an enjoyment of so called childrens book seemed to go down well.
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 1189
Original post by Uni2010!
Hi

I had an interview with herts last year and got an offer. Ask any questions if you want.

Good luck :smile:

What was the interview process like in general??
Reply 1190
Original post by HLouiseB
What was the interview process like in general??

The process was just the most other uni interview for Primary.
We wrote an essay- we were given a title. This is normal to test your grammar, spelling, use of good english and so on. We were put into groups and given a task on a childrens book. Two groups were put into each room with the two interviewers (one is usually someone who teaches at the uni and the other normally is a headteacher of a primary school or at least a primary teacher.) We had to create a poster explaining how we could relate the book to different curriculum areas- we presented this to another group.

Afterwards we were given a time for out individual interviews which took place in the same room with the two interviewers.
Reply 1191
Original post by Lazylisa
Well I'm not actually applying for the 2012 one (Well I hope not, if all goes well!) but still interested in what other people are going for/how they're finding the application process and interview stages (when it eventually comes to that - believe me it comes round fast :smile:)

So how many of you are planning on applying for the 2012 entry?
Have you begun your personal statement yet?
Any ideas on which Uni's you're going to look into?
Are you wanting to do Early Years (3-7) or General (5-11)?

I applied to Leeds Trinity, Sunderland, Northumbria and York St John and went through their interview stage so if anyone ends up applying to these and wants information on the interview just quote me! :biggrin:

Hiya, i was wondering if you had any advice or information on things I should prepare for the York st John interview? thank you! :smile:
Reply 1192
Original post by natalierose
Hey,
I'm doing English in Education! I think I got the offer late March/early April, because there were some visit days in April that I couldn't make. Good luck! I hope you get in, the course is brilliant! xx

Thankyou so much! I really do love the sound of the course, it sounds perfect tbh! I'd love to study at York, it's so pretty :smile: xx
Original post by Jem_x
Hey I've had an interview at Plymouth and received an offer for the same course. It was all very relaxed and the people running the digital literacy bit really sold it to me! If you want any more details just ask :smile: x

Thank you, that's nice to know! How was the group discussion and the tests? x
Hiii

What makes you not keen on Reading?

My individual interview was fine- i had the male english teacher and he was lovely
They seem genuinely interested in you. They will discuss what you have been doing english wise- i assume you do english for a level. You will discuss your choosen piece of work. Its good also to read so you can discuss what you have read lately and why you like it. I was able to discuss harry potter and it worked :smile: an enjoyment of so called childrens book seemed to go down well.
Good Luck :smile:

Thanks for the reply! And not sure really, just have never really heard good things about it, never really heard anything about it to be honest!
And that sounds good, I'm quite worried as I do language at a-level and don't read books at all, even in my spare time.. I guess it's better to be honest, I've read books in the past but they're not really the sort you'd discuss (aka, a child called it)..
But thanks :smile: I'll let you know how it goes!
Original post by Jem_x
Hey I've had an interview at Plymouth and received an offer for the same course. It was all very relaxed and the people running the digital literacy bit really sold it to me! If you want any more details just ask :smile: x

How was the discussion on the article? I'm wondering what sort of things are bought up? well done on the interview :-)
Reply 1196
The process was just the most other uni interview for Primary.
We wrote an essay- we were given a title. This is normal to test your grammar, spelling, use of good english and so on. We were put into groups and given a task on a childrens book. Two groups were put into each room with the two interviewers (one is usually someone who teaches at the uni and the other normally is a headteacher of a primary school or at least a primary teacher.) We had to create a poster explaining how we could relate the book to different curriculum areas- we presented this to another group.

Afterwards we were given a time for out individual interviews which took place in the same room with the two interviewers.

Ahh ok that doesn't sound to bad, was it like a whole day thing or quite short? and was it relaxed or not?
Reply 1197
Anyone have advice on Leeds Trinity or York St John Primary Ed interviews?

Am happy to answer any questions involving Huddersfield, Leeds Met or Nottingham Trent

Thanks in advance xxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 1198
Original post by LozGee
Hiya, i was wondering if you had any advice or information on things I should prepare for the York st John interview? thank you! :smile:

Hey :smile: Not really just look up your educational issues and things before hand! It was YSJ who asked me a lot of questions like why i want to be a teacher, examples of good and bad practise I'd witnessed etc! [I can't remember exactly what I was asked but at the time I wrote them up so if you go back in my posts to about April 2011 you should find them] good luck! :smile:
Reply 1199
Original post by alice.rose.evans
Thank you, that's nice to know! How was the group discussion and the tests? x

Original post by elmortimer
How was the discussion on the article? I'm wondering what sort of things are bought up? well done on the interview :-)

The group discussion was very relaxed ... introduce yourself to your partner and feedback, why do you want to teach, what do you think digital literacy is? With the article he asked one question to our group 'what can you learn from this article' and many people even took their notes on it in to the interview.
The tests weren't the easiest but not the hardest either. There was a probabbly GCSE standard maths tests (revise fractions and decimals!!) and you then had to either do a newspaper letter or a short story on a given topic. Good luck! x

Quick Reply

Latest