The Student Room Group

What does 'points' mean on my results sheet?

I just got my results today and i found a heading called 'points' on the far right-hand side of the sheet. My A/S results

Economics C (105 points on the sheet)
Maths B (120 points)
Chemistry A (135 points)
Biology A (135 points)

The points totaled up to 495.

Can someone please explain what it means?

Thank You in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's UCAS points I think. Some universities will ask for UCAS points as opposed to grades, so it's their for those people concerned. It's just another way of representing grades, but can also account for extra-curricular things like the D of E etc.
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
It's UCAS points I think. Some universities will ask for UCAS points as opposed to grades, so it's their for those people concerned. It's just another way of representing grades, but can also account for extra-curricular things like the D of E etc.

But isn't an A at A/S only worth 60 ucas points? This is really confusing. Perharp this is guide-line predicted grades for A2?
Original post by studentofskhs
I just got my results today and i found a heading called 'points' on the far right-hand side of the sheet. My A/S results

Maths B (120 points)
Chemistry A (135 points)
Biology A (135 points)

Thank You in advance.

I too have been looking at the points column, and don't have a clue what it means...

Its definately not UCAS... I have no idea?!
Reply 4
i have the exact same thing but double what yo got ( a level )

My two A;s are equivalent to 270 points

WTF IS THIS UNKNOW SYSTEM lol
Could it be the UMS points for the grade perhaps? although they do seem rather high
Reply 6
On my sheet the "Points" column is a reference to the UMS points acheived in the subject- could this be what you are referring to?
They're not UCAS points, those numbers are far too high if I recall correctly. I would ask your school/college what they mean. The grades are more important. Well done :smile:
It's UMS marks for the entire subject at AS- so the two exam marks or, alternatively, one exam mark and one coursework mark combined. I'm at A2, so next to my English Lit result, for example, it says 366 points which brakes to 100, 74, 80 and 112 individual module marks :smile:
Reply 9
I got the same thing as the OP on mine. Though the 'points' column is seperate from the UMS one, so it's not UMS points and as it's definitiely not UCAS points, I've no idea.
I've been wondering the same thing!
Original post by SleepySheep
It's UMS marks for the entire subject at AS- so the two exam marks or, alternatively, one exam mark and one coursework mark combined. I'm at A2, so next to my English Lit result, for example, it says 366 points which brakes to 100, 74, 80 and 112 individual module marks :smile:

That's actually gone straight over my head. :blush: :tongue: :redface:
Does yours have a column that says 'Equiv' too? Equivalent to what? Oh, I give up!
At least I don't need a maths degree to read a letter haha!
Reply 12
Original post by diamonddust
I've been wondering the same thing!

The 'Equiv' should be your overall UMS score for each of your AS subjects.
I had this last year, I remember. It's not UCAS points, and it's not UMS either.

I don't think it matters at all, I wouldn't worry!
Original post by diamonddust
That's actually gone straight over my head. :blush: :tongue: :redface:
Does yours have a column that says 'Equiv' too? Equivalent to what? Oh, I give up!
At least I don't need a maths degree to read a letter haha!

Umm, I don't really understand how I can explain it in simpler terms to be honest. The number of points you got is your module marks combined.

Say, hypothetically, you got 50 marks in your January Physchology exam, then you got 60 marks in your June Phsychology exam your number of points would be 110 because 50 + 60 = 110. I know that sounds patronising, sorry but I want to be as clear as possible. And nope, my results slip didn't say Equiv. What was under that collumn?
Think it just means what overall grade you got without reference to UMS or Raw marks, so it should be the same for everyone.

E.g

A = 135
B = 120
C = 105

etc
Original post by SleepySheep
Umm, I don't really understand how I can explain it in simpler terms to be honest. The number of points you got is your module marks combined.

Say, hypothetically, you got 50 marks in your January Physchology exam, then you got 60 marks in your June Phsychology exam your number of points would be 110 because 50 + 60 = 110. I know that sounds patronising, sorry but I want to be as clear as possible. And nope, my results slip didn't say Equiv. What was under that collumn?

Are you sure that's right?

Last year, when I got my results, the "points" were the same for each subject, despite the fact my UMS were different in them all.
Original post by studentofskhs

Maths B (120 points)
Chemistry A (135 points)
Biology A (135 points)

Thank You in advance.

Basically, if you get above 1000 , you get a free adult size meal.

(drinks not included - please read full terms and conditions)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Are you sure that's right?

Last year, when I got my results, the "points" were the same for each subject, despite the fact my UMS were different in them all.

Nope, i just read the OP properly and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong because 135 wouldn't be enough for an A at AS if it was module results. I was judging by my own results sheet. Forgive me, it's been a long day!! :redface:
Reply 19
Original post by swiftylol
Think it just means what overall grade you got without reference to UMS or Raw marks, so it should be the same for everyone.

E.g

A = 135
B = 120
C = 105

etc

This sounds right to me.

Quick Reply

Latest