The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Finding accommodation for Dundee - Insurance choice

Hi all, I've just got my unconditional for Dundee now for psychology. It was my insurance choice, and as such, the university says it can't guarantee on campus accommodation. I'm sure there are other freshers out there in the same boat as me, so I'm wondering what I should do? Are any of the private student accommodations worth staying in? All I've heard about the Hub are negative things, perhaps someone can convince me otherwise? What's the story with on campus accommodation, anyone ever get in on their insurance choice? Obviously I'd like to be living with as many other freshers as possible :tongue:

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in same position and am looking for private halls becasue they cannot guarantee all first years accomodation, i've been looking at the hub and opal 1
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
I'm looking at the hub as well, I've heard good things and bad things, but it looks really nice from the photos and such and it seems relatively good value, all things considered. My only problem is I'd like to be in accommodation with a good few freshers preferably, as the accommodation is where you make the most friends. Anyone living in the hub, could you clarify if there are certain blocks where freshers live, or where else I could look at if not? thanks
Reply 3
I'am not totally sure myself thats what I'am trying to find out now, which private accomodations are most popular with freshers
Reply 4
I've just been looking at the hub as university accommodation is too expensive as i need an extended let 'cos im doing nursing degree. Does anyone know if many Nursing students stay there??
Reply 5
I'm in the same boat as you guys. I've just put the deposit down for The Hub. I was on the phone to them and they said they try to put all the first years in the same apartments and that it is quite popular with freshers. I think it is the best one to go for cause it looks pretty awesome (a lot better than some of the University halls) and it's the closest of all the private halls. Which is very good for me cause I'm rather lazy and I'm not that fussed on walking a big distance to reach the lectures, especially when I'm feeling the effects of a night out :tongue:. It's also really close to one other private accommodation halls, so you can also make friends with freshers from those Halls. They said they had 13 rooms left when i phoned them about an hour ago, 12 now after me :biggrin:
Reply 6
Has anybody looked at the old mill or keiller court? they seem a lot cheeper so i was considering one of them...has anyone heard anything about them?
Reply 7
Original post by giggles_444
i'm the exact same !! does anyone know if there is any chance at all of getting into the uni halls? or is there absolutely no chance? :tongue: ive applied for a few other places, but think going to go to the hub cuz its the closest.

I applied for accommodation on the morning of Scottish results day (August 4th) and I just got an email from Dundee saying I'm still on the waiting list - so I don't think there's much hope for those applying now :frown:

Original post by carly300493
Has anybody looked at the old mill or keiller court? they seem a lot cheeper so i was considering one of them...has anyone heard anything about them?

The Old Mill is popular with those going to the college, I think. It's nice though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Same situation, what should I do....
Reply 9
I think I'm gonna go with the hub, it seems like they're offering the nicest facilities. Anyone know how accommodating they are with regard to putting first years together?
Reply 10
Original post by Spanda
I think I'm gonna go with the hub, it seems like they're offering the nicest facilities. Anyone know how accommodating they are with regard to putting first years together?

They told me they try to put all first years together and there's a 95% chance of being with other first years. I'm in C block whereas most first years seem to be in E so I'm kind of panicking here, as i want to be with other first students :s-smilie:. I would book soon though, when i phoned on Friday there were only 13 rooms left and I'm sure that figure has decreased in that time!

Are you from Ireland?
Reply 11
Yeah, from Clare. Might see you there :P I'll book it tomorrow.
Reply 12
Hi! The same problem here.. Just completed my application for accomodation at West Park Flats / West Park Villas or Belmont Flats, but because of this topic I'm considering to book a place at the hub ( the only place I have read about ). Don't know what to expect, because I'm still not sure weather I wan't to go to Dundee and if there won't be a place available at campus I might decide not to go there.. :frown:

Any suggestions what to do? Should I call the accomodation office and ask about the free places?

Eh, why do I have to do everything in the last moment..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
I was a first year in the hub last year and I really loved it, so honestly all of you do not worry! I was in E block and it was filled with 1st years, they do a good job of gathering you all together, and tbh you just find everyone else in the other blocks during the first few weeks. My best friends and people im living with this year are E and D blockers, your all right beside eachother. Its not such a bad thing to have 2nd year mates either, you get a good mix and get friends from the other uni (abertay or dundee) which you would have unlikely met otherwise. Its 5 mins from dundee uni, in the middle between the union and liquid and will do you well for first year. The only bad things are the heat, Verity Power (who will charge you for every single little bit of damage, but just as all other halls do) and the fire alarms. I'm so sad im not a fresher anymore :frown: very jealous of you all.

P.s it was due to dundee being my insurance too, and being too late for accomodation, not jealous at all for the stress.
(edited 12 years ago)
****kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
When I phoned on results day (18th), the lady said I was on the waiting list and not to worry I'll be told where I am shortly. I phoned today and they said there are 200 ****ing people on the waiting list and to starts looking for private accomadtion, and apologised for accidentally not sending me the email telling me that sooner!!!!
I've called the Hub and places and there are no places left!
Is anyone in the same boat?!?
****ing stressed as.
Reply 15
Original post by mariashafira
****kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
When I phoned on results day (18th), the lady said I was on the waiting list and not to worry I'll be told where I am shortly. I phoned today and they said there are 200 ****ing people on the waiting list and to starts looking for private accomadtion, and apologised for accidentally not sending me the email telling me that sooner!!!!
****ing stressed as.

I just had the same problem except I never tried the Hub because it was outside of my budget.
I applied for Keiller Court and they've just emailed me to let me know they have accepted my application, so maybe you could try there as it seems they still have rooms left.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll sort something out. :smile:
Original post by Tofufreak
I just had the same problem except I never tried the Hub because it was outside of my budget.
I applied for Keiller Court and they've just emailed me to let me know they have accepted my application, so maybe you could try there as it seems they still have rooms left.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll sort something out. :smile:

It was between keiller court or the courthouse apartments, but the courthouse apartments, even though they're slightly further away, all of their rooms are en-suite, which won me over.
What course are you applying for?
Reply 17
Original post by beBerry
Hi! The same problem here.. Just completed my application for accomodation at West Park Flats / West Park Villas or Belmont Flats, but because of this topic I'm considering to book a place at the hub ( the only place I have read about ). Don't know what to expect, because I'm still not sure weather I wan't to go to Dundee and if there won't be a place available at campus I might decide not to go there.. :frown:

Any suggestions what to do? Should I call the accomodation office and ask about the free places?

Eh, why do I have to do everything in the last moment..

Original post by mariashafira
****kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
****ing stressed as.

i would highly recommend keiller court, they still have places left, and the place is really lovely. the rooms are quite big and its brand new. and its so close to the campus of dundee, so it is really good.
Reply 18
Me and my gf wanted to go for a campus accommodation but then we decided to look for a flat and we've got one. The main reason for this is that not only we'll have some privacy :colone: but also it's a lot cheaper. The campus accommodation is asking £400 p/person p/m, whereas in our new flat we'll have to pay only £330 divided by two which is £165, so therefore each month we'll save £235! In my opinion it's a big rip off to ask £400 but then if you are there first time and do not know the place, the campus is a great way to start off. I'd not recommend share flat if you do not know the people, it's a risk. Good luck anyway :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by davidsvk
Me and my gf wanted to go for a campus accommodation but then we decided to look for a flat and we've got one. The main reason for this is that not only we'll have some privacy :colone: but also it's a lot cheaper. The campus accommodation is asking £400 p/person p/m, whereas in our new flat we'll have to pay only £330 divided by two which is £165, so therefore each month we'll save £335! In my opinion it's a big rip off to ask £400 but then if you are there first time and do not know the place, the campus is a great way to start off. I'd not recommend share flat if you do not know the people, it's a risk. Good luck anyway :smile:

You do realise when you rent a flat there are other costs other than just the rent, whereas the campus fee is all inclusive?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending