The Student Room Group

Examples of when remarks have gone right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I went from a D to a B at AS business studies, the first examiner had given me 0 marks for analysis on both essay questions (despite there clearly being 3-4 paragraphs of pure analysis on both questions) when it got remarked everything pretty much stayed the same except I got almost full marks for analysis on both questions. I don't think the original marker knew what analysis meant..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
A friend of mine missed out on her uni place, she went for a remark and it went up so she got in :smile:

some guy in my class got remarked from d to c in a january module I believe... not sure
Reply 22
My Daughter is in bits as she was awarded a D today for her AQA AS Literature. She has never been awarded anything less than 85% in her work and was told her coursework for the exam was almost degree standard! She was awarded the equivalent of a C for the coursework which I find odd. She was a private candidate and the centre she had to use turned out to be a centre for unruly children. We were totally unaware of this when we booked a place for her and could not do anything about it on exam day as we had travelled from abroad to be there. During the written exam she had to endure students running around, shouting and slamming doors and she was very nervous in the environment. What can I do under these circumstances. So far, three English tutors have read her coursework and said it was outstanding. Please help a worried parent - I am not so much concerned for her grade as her confidence.:confused:
Reply 23
Both times I have had remarks they went up a grade....idiot examiners
A lot of results for an exam in Jan were unexpectedly low at my school, they were all remarked and pretty much everyone went up a grade, sometimes two, there was a problem with the marker. Sometimes the exam boards make mistakes, so it's always worth checking.
Reply 25
This is all very encouraging! Thanks :smile: Fingers crossed...
Reply 26
Last summer i got my AQA English Literature A AS paper remarked and it went up my 5 UMS which was enough to shift it up to an A. I put in for the remark the day after results and it came back the first of September so fairly quickly :smile:

I agree with what other people of said in that englishy or historyish kind of essay subject are much more likely to go up (or down...) due to being more subjective.

To Rabs1, tell your daughter she shouldn't doubt her ability in English, as I was amazed when i got an A* in the subject yesterday and am now going to uni to study it :biggrin:. I'd completely thought I was awful after the C I'd originally got in that unit ^. From what I've read on here and from friends who got grades below what they should have got, I think examiners do get it wrong a lot of the time unfortunately. Especially with English.
As a teacher, I've seen lots of these, too many to be specific about, but I've also seen remarks where grades have come down, too. It used to be the case that the higher grade could be kept, but that's no longer the case, so a remark is a gamble nowadays. I'd recommend taking your teacher's advice very strongly and do not gamble unless you are so far away from the lower grade boundary that you aren't in danger. If you are talking about priority remarks, then there is no time to lose, but if you are only at the AS stage, when there is no hurry, consider asking for a copy of your script back before committing yourself to quite a large sum of money. See if your teachers think it's worth the risk.
Reply 28
Original post by carnationlilyrose
As a teacher, I've seen lots of these, too many to be specific about, but I've also seen remarks where grades have come down, too. It used to be the case that the higher grade could be kept, but that's no longer the case, so a remark is a gamble nowadays. I'd recommend taking your teacher's advice very strongly and do not gamble unless you are so far away from the lower grade boundary that you aren't in danger. If you are talking about priority remarks, then there is no time to lose, but if you are only at the AS stage, when there is no hurry, consider asking for a copy of your script back before committing yourself to quite a large sum of money. See if your teachers think it's worth the risk.

It's a priority remark, and I'm only 3 points below the grade boundary! Plus it's a completely anomaly. I got an E in this one paper, but I got As in everything else. If I get this up by 3 marks then I have an overall B for the subject, and I get in.
(edited 12 years ago)
My friend got a E on one of his biology modules. He got the paper recalled and his teacher reckoned he could get another 16 marks if he got it remarked. So my friend sent it off for a remark.

It went down 3 ums.
Original post by SarahDylan

Does anybody have any stories about people getting papers remarked and having a good outcome? Apparently all the examples on the exam board websites show scripts losing marks instead of gaining them. Personally, I need three more marks to win my place back for my dream course at my dream uni. Does anybody know any stories?

AQA remarked my AS Politics papers. BOTH went up by 22% and pushed me from a C to an A.
Original post by soutioirsim
My friend got a E on one of his biology modules. He got the paper recalled and his teacher reckoned he could get another 16 marks if he got it remarked. So my friend sent it off for a remark.

It went down 3 ums.

Jeez, that's crazy.

Just in general, do you think the exam boards are reluctant to increase grades because they have to give refunds?
Reply 32

It went down 3 ums.

Very similar story but for a physics module, the lad in my class was 1 mark off an A in an A2 unit so he had it recalled. Our teacher looked through it and said there was 4/5 marks there to be gained so he had it remarked and went down 4 ums :rofl:

Anyways to OP, i've haven't had a positive or negative experience. In the two remarks i've filled for both came back with the same UMS. Pointless.
Reply 33
Original post by Competencies
Jeez, that's crazy.

Just in general, do you think the exam boards are reluctant to increase grades because they have to give refunds?

That's a good (and very scary) point! Also interested to know opinions on this!
Reply 34
Original post by carnationlilyrose

This seems like very good advice to me. I'm only in AS, but missed out on an A by 1UMS in an essay based subject, so will be remarking. You've said that, you should consider getting the paper back before deciding? Would you advise that in my situation? since, I only need 1UMS and that seems like it'll prolong the whole situation, and I'd need to lose 20 UMS to drop down, which seems unlikely in one paper. Also, when do you generally find out the remark results for AS, since I'd like to know before I apply, as an extra A could make all the difference.
Reply 35
Two of my friends had 47 and 49 respectively for a History module; went up to 91 and 99. I went up from 72 to 80, was fairly chuffed with just that tbh.
Original post by Rabs1
My Daughter is in bits as she was awarded a D today for her AQA AS Literature. She has never been awarded anything less than 85% in her work and was told her coursework for the exam was almost degree standard! She was awarded the equivalent of a C for the coursework which I find odd. She was a private candidate and the centre she had to use turned out to be a centre for unruly children. We were totally unaware of this when we booked a place for her and could not do anything about it on exam day as we had travelled from abroad to be there. During the written exam she had to endure students running around, shouting and slamming doors and she was very nervous in the environment. What can I do under these circumstances. So far, three English tutors have read her coursework and said it was outstanding. Please help a worried parent - I am not so much concerned for her grade as her confidence.:confused:

Obviously your first task must be to reassure your daughter and as an English teacher, I have to say that AS marking often seems a bit odd but it usually evens out in the end in A2. I would think it's worth putting in for a remark of the coursework, but I'm not quite clear about the background here. Who has prepared your daughter for the exam? I'm wondering if she has been home schooled or something similar, in view of your having to find an examination centre. English coursework does have to hit some pretty specific Assessment Objectives and the marking can be very harsh if these haven't been met, even if the essay as a whole is brilliant. It can be very frustrating for us, too. As this is only AS, the coursework can be resubmitted in January with some reworking to hit the AOs if that is the problem. As for the noisy exam centre, that seems worth a complaint to the centre itself. Try not to worry. It's not over yet.
Reply 37
Original post by Competencies
Jeez, that's crazy.

You get a refund if it goes up or down by any amount so I'd say the answer is no...
Original post by MrJenkins
You get a refund if it goes up or down by any amount so I'd say the answer is no...

Didn't think about that actually.

So if your grade goes down you also get a refund? If so, the point I made should be pretty much invalid.
It's a priority remark, and I'm only 3 points below the grade boundary! Plus it's a completely anomaly. I got an E in this one paper, but I got As in everything else. If I get this up by 3 marks then I have an overall B for the subject, and I get in.

Worth a punt, then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending