The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Reading list for english students.

I've just been warned of reading lists that have been put on the website, can be found here:

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/english/readinglists

Daniel Defoe isn't the light reading I had in mind for over the summer... :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just found the reading list last night.. it's a bit daunting, isn't it?! Looks like I'm going to have no social life for the next four weeks haha. Which course is it you're doing? English Literature? :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Yeah joint with philosophy :smile: I got Middlemarch out today and it seems alright, 800 pages long though...
Reply 3
I'm just going into my third year of English Lit, and I feel like I should just reassure you that I wouldn't worry at all if you don't make it through half of that list. You're generally only assessed on 2-3 texts for each module, so it might be better to focus on a just a few that you're interested in, rather than getting stressed and rushing through the whole list. :smile: The course is pretty much scheduled to give you time to prepare the texts during term time if necessary, anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by pixiebot
Yeah joint with philosophy :smile: I got Middlemarch out today and it seems alright, 800 pages long though...

Oo that sounds really interesting :smile: yeah, I ordered it last night and just about died when it said it was 904 pages haha. Spose we better get used to it! I agree though, it's not too bad :smile:

Original post by Vickyy
I'm just going into my third year of English Lit, and I feel like I should just reassure you that I wouldn't worry at all if you don't make it through half of that list. You're generally only assessed on 2-3 texts for each module, so it might be better to focus on a just a few that you're interested in, rather than getting stressed and rushing through the whole list. :smile: The course is pretty much scheduled to give you time to prepare the texts during term time if necessary, anyway.

Ahh thank you for this! There's three that I think we have to read for the first term (Middlemarch for the first week) and then a great long list of suggested texts, and I've only read a couple of those! I'm just worried that everyone else will have read them all and I won't have read anything lol. Thanks again though, it makes me feel a lot better! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Vickyy
I'm just going into my third year of English Lit, and I feel like I should just reassure you that I wouldn't worry at all if you don't make it through half of that list..

This makes me feel better :smile: I reckon it will take me about a week and a half to read Middlemarch and hopefully I will get quicker over time. I'm making a few notes about the constant religious presence and the constant suprise that woman have a brain... does this sound about right?

Original post by amenfashion

There's three that I think we have to read for the first term (Middlemarch for the first week) and then a great long list of suggested texts, and I've only read a couple of those!
)

I've done a few extracts from a few of the suggested texts, Songs of Solomon from the Bible is pretty straight forward and then Paradise Lost is epic but I will never ever finish it. I wanted to read Jane Eyre in full but I doubt I will have time now....

Makes me wonder why I took english and what the point of this all is. Loosing faith before the course even starts :colondollar:
Really do not worry about reading all of the suggested texts. Hardly anyone will actually do it properly, it's one of those things people start with good intentions and quickly give up. (Not that I'm advocating this approach lol, just don't want you to stress out about it).

I so wish I was starting this year, the changes they've made suit me much better. Less Renaissance can only be a good thing imo.
Reply 7
are they joking us? the bible!? middlemarch took me two weeks to read, i gave up at that point. happy reading :smile:
Reply 8
middlemarch had been by my bed for the past 3 weeks waiting to be read
Reply 9
I got a letter from the English department yesterday with the list of set texts for the core module IALS 1. I've looked on Amazon for the exact publications but I can't find Understanding Literature with ISBN code ending 710! Thinking I might just get an earlier edition..
Reply 10
Hey, also about to start my 3rd year in english.. Definitely don't panic haha! The reality is a lot lighter than that list they've just given you lol. Obviously you may well be covering a lot of different genres and doing a lot of reading over your 3 years on the course, but remember you do get some choice on modules so things you don't like can be avoided to some extent!

It's always good to be well read so if, like they've suggested, you're only really up-to-date with modern literature then give one of the older novels a go to get you in the mindset to start reading more difficult and denser texts... But by no means should you try to cover anywhere near the amount on that list, unless you really do get bored! (The reading list has changed a lot by the looks of things since I started but House of Mirth is a good read if anyone doesn't know what to pick - it's not too difficult either)

Tbh I think it's best to read Middlemarch now (if that's what you've been told is compulsory) and delve into a few other styles/genres that you don't know much about... but really, the main task comes when you've actually started lectures - that's when you should be reading around the topics. There's no point, in my opinion, in stressing out and making too much work for yourself now and then finding they ask you to read entirely different stuff once you're in seminars/lectures. Just make sure you keep ontop of things when they do ask you to read in preparation for a seminar, because you usually only spend a week (2 lecs and 1 seminar) on each novel - even if it's a huge seminal work like Paradise Lost.. which feels ridiculously rushed compared to the months you spend on texts at GSCE and A-Level - so you quickly realise you need to do a lot more reading of journals and research in your own time to get the most out of it.

Basically don't panic now, but just go into it with the right mindset for doing lots of extra reading once you know what the keys texts and topics are! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by DuskyC

Original post by DuskyC
I got a letter from the English department yesterday with the list of set texts for the core module IALS 1. I've looked on Amazon for the exact publications but I can't find Understanding Literature with ISBN code ending 710! Thinking I might just get an earlier edition..

it's gone out of print :/ i dont know whether thats an old list they've sent us because its no on the online one for this year. im going to ring the dept tomorrow and find out, not spending £40 on a book i dont need :smile:
Hey guys just to echo what others have already said. Dont panic about the reading list just do what you can. I arrived all worried I was behind, only to find hardly anyone had done anything. Lots of people dont even read the set texts, I almost always did but some dont so just do what you can!

You will only have 8 or 9 contact hours anyway so trust me you will have LOTS of time to go through these things later on :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by alexie
it's gone out of print :/ i dont know whether thats an old list they've sent us because its no on the online one for this year. im going to ring the dept tomorrow and find out, not spending £40 on a book i dont need :smile:

You're right, it's not on the online pdf! I didn't notice that. I ordered a 2003 edition for under £5 in the end. Did you manage to speak to the department?
Reply 14
Original post by mollymustard
Hey guys just to echo what others have already said. Dont panic about the reading list just do what you can. I arrived all worried I was behind, only to find hardly anyone had done anything. Lots of people dont even read the set texts, I almost always did but some dont so just do what you can!

You will only have 8 or 9 contact hours anyway so trust me you will have LOTS of time to go through these things later on :smile:

Hey,

Can you advise of anywhere to get help with choosing modules? I understand I need 120 credits over each year, but the timetable online for the modules is so difficult to read! Are there two core modules, one before xmas, and one after? How many credits are they each? How many approved modules are there? What about unrestricted modules?

I'm really sorry to fire this at you, but I can't find any guidance anywhere :eek:
Original post by DuskyC
Hey,

Can you advise of anywhere to get help with choosing modules? I understand I need 120 credits over each year, but the timetable online for the modules is so difficult to read! Are there two core modules, one before xmas, and one after? How many credits are they each? How many approved modules are there? What about unrestricted modules?

I'm really sorry to fire this at you, but I can't find any guidance anywhere :eek:

Hello!

Just going into second year now :smile: Yep there are two core modules, if it's the same as what I did last year (I did full English Lit) one for each semester. They're 40 credits each.

Then, before registration there's a massive module sign up sesh and you'll get loads of information about all the modules, go to the Octagon and get to sign up for all the modules. There are loads of approved modules you can take in stuff like Philosophy (they're quite good as you can take a couple, only 20 credits each), History, Biblical Studies (I did decoding the old testament and the lecturer is AMAZING. Such a good module)

When I did it, there were only a few extra Lit modules you could take - Theatre, Practical Stylistics, Introduction to Cinema and Critical Contexts. I'm not sure of CC will be on this year because it SUCKED and we all complained about it.

Basically, though, you will get lots of help and guidance to do with modules, and I think you get given a link to all of them at the start. If you go on the Departments and Services bit there should be a Directory of Modules for you to look at.

You can also do beginners languages if it takes your fancy :smile: Don't panic too much on what you choose, though, as the first year doesn't really count for much!
Reply 16
Original post by sophierebekah
Hello!

Just going into second year now :smile: Yep there are two core modules, if it's the same as what I did last year (I did full English Lit) one for each semester. They're 40 credits each.

Then, before registration there's a massive module sign up sesh and you'll get loads of information about all the modules, go to the Octagon and get to sign up for all the modules. There are loads of approved modules you can take in stuff like Philosophy (they're quite good as you can take a couple, only 20 credits each), History, Biblical Studies (I did decoding the old testament and the lecturer is AMAZING. Such a good module)

When I did it, there were only a few extra Lit modules you could take - Theatre, Practical Stylistics, Introduction to Cinema and Critical Contexts. I'm not sure of CC will be on this year because it SUCKED and we all complained about it.

Basically, though, you will get lots of help and guidance to do with modules, and I think you get given a link to all of them at the start. If you go on the Departments and Services bit there should be a Directory of Modules for you to look at.

You can also do beginners languages if it takes your fancy :smile: Don't panic too much on what you choose, though, as the first year doesn't really count for much!

Hi :smile:

Thanks for replying, I feel a bit better now! I'm doing straight English Lit too. I was worried because the registration booklet gave the impression that we should know exactly what we wanted to sign up for before we get there!

I had it noted down that the two core modules were 20 credits each. Is this wrong?
Original post by DuskyC
Hi :smile:

Thanks for replying, I feel a bit better now! I'm doing straight English Lit too. I was worried because the registration booklet gave the impression that we should know exactly what we wanted to sign up for before we get there!

I had it noted down that the two core modules were 20 credits each. Is this wrong?

My bad yes! I accidentally doubled everything I was saying. Most module are 20 credits each including the core Eng Lit ones, then some of the Philosophy ones are 10 credits which I thought was good :smile: Sorry for the confusion!
Reply 18
Original post by sophierebekah
My bad yes! I accidentally doubled everything I was saying. Most module are 20 credits each including the core Eng Lit ones, then some of the Philosophy ones are 10 credits which I thought was good :smile: Sorry for the confusion!

Heh, it's OK :smile:

I've had a look, and I think I'm getting my head round it! I'm hoping I can do two lit modules and a philosophy module per semester. I suppose it depends on the teaching timetables though, specifically that they don't clash!

I've looked at the timetabling for the first core lit module on Sheffield's website, and I can only hope that we don't have to go to all the seminars listed! I'm thinking maybe everyone doing lit will be split into different groups, and will have their own particular seminars. Otherwise there are 15 seminars a week, plus two lectures, for LIT107 alone! Lol.
Reply 19
Original post by DuskyC
Heh, it's OK :smile:

I've had a look, and I think I'm getting my head round it! I'm hoping I can do two lit modules and a philosophy module per semester. I suppose it depends on the teaching timetables though, specifically that they don't clash!

I've looked at the timetabling for the first core lit module on Sheffield's website, and I can only hope that we don't have to go to all the seminars listed! I'm thinking maybe everyone doing lit will be split into different groups, and will have their own particular seminars. Otherwise there are 15 seminars a week, plus two lectures, for LIT107 alone! Lol.

You only go to one seminar per module, and you can choose which one. So they won't clash unless you make them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending