The Student Room Group

A-level Politics

Hi! Recently I received my AS results, and I was extremely disappointed with them. Out of the four subjects, I had failed two of them (both being Science subjects), and I had asked my sixth form to allow me to start the entire year again picking different subjects. So I have decided to pick Sociology, History and carry on Psychology as I had obtained a B grade for AS. I'm stuck on which other subject to pick though, I really want to do Politics but after having a talk with my brother he said that it was the hardest subject he took, and I don't want to make the same mistake of picking subjects I'm unable to do.

I'm wondering, as an A-level is it a hard subject for someone who has little interest in general politics? I mean, I'm willing to work my butt off to research any information that is relevant whilst studying A-level politics, I just want to make sure that I won't be making a mistake. I really want to redeem myself after getting such awful results, and I'm hoping for A's this time round, B's at the least.

Any help is appreciated, thank you! :smile:
Its not that hard, its ok, u revised one week before the exam and got an A. Its way easier than history imo.
I have a keen interest in Politics; but from what I have heard it is easy and therefore pointless - so I have heard. Don't blame me for saying that, it is only what I have heard through friends.

I was debating whether or not to take it for A-Level, I already know quite a bit about politics from researching in my spare time. If anyone else is reading this would you say it is a pointless A-Level?
Original post by theclash...
I have a keen interest in Politics; but from what I have heard it is easy and therefore pointless - so I have heard. Don't blame me for saying that, it is only what I have heard through friends.

I was debating whether or not to take it for A-Level, I already know quite a bit about politics from researching in my spare time. If anyone else is reading this would you say it is a pointless A-Level?

Noo, if u want to do something like law or history at uni it looks really good.
Original post by chocoholic.
Noo, if u want to do something like law or history at uni it looks really good.

Really? I was looking into law, but didn't know what to take in order to do that career path :smile:
Original post by theclash...
Really? I was looking into law, but didn't know what to take in order to do that career path :smile:

Yeah apparently i have the perfect A levels for law (says my teacher) history, gov & pol, eng langlit, critical thinking and RS. Unis like the look of politics it isnt considered as a soft alevel, like business or media.
Original post by chocoholic.
Yeah apparently i have the perfect A levels for law (says my teacher) history, gov & pol, eng langlit, critical thinking and RS. Unis like the look of politics it isnt considered as a soft alevel, like business or media.

I want to do Law too, which is why I'm picking subjects like History. I'm going to go for it though, I asked my friend what her thoughts were as she had took Politics for AS and she said that as long as you write down notes every lesson and keep on top of the work whilst researching I'll do fine. She also has not got much of an interest in politics but she enjoys it as a A-level subject.
Thanks for the replies!
Reply 7
Nah I wouldn't say it's pointless.
It's a solid A-level, and at AS it's not too difficult, but at A2, well that's another story because it gets wayyy harder.
I'd say only choose to do politics if you are seriously genuinely interested in the subject.
Oh and it's pretty much an essay-based subject so if you're more inclined towards the sciences then, it might not be the perfect choice.
But again, if you're interested in it, then go for it :smile: Plus it's a great choice if you want to study Law, alongside subjects like history, English Lit...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
If you have no interest in Politic do NOT do it. I did it thinking it would be an easy A level, but I have no interest in it. I didn't stay up to date with Politics. I revised everything properly, tried my best and ended up with a D and had all As in my other subjects, which are supposedly much harder...
I had little interest in politics but took it anyway (no idea why), and now I'm about to do it at Uni :h:. As for is it easy ... I'll be honest, the first year is fairly easy but the second year is actually quite challenging (assuming you do Heywood and the ideologies). It's incredibly interesting, however, and across the whole 2 years and definitely the most useful course I've done, as being able to fully understand the political system, the ideologies behind each party and the history of the World through an ideological perspective is well ... ****ing amazing.

Seriously do it, you won't regret it.
Original post by too many legs.
I want to do Law too, which is why I'm picking subjects like History. I'm going to go for it though, I asked my friend what her thoughts were as she had took Politics for AS and she said that as long as you write down notes every lesson and keep on top of the work whilst researching I'll do fine. She also has not got much of an interest in politics but she enjoys it as a A-level subject.
Thanks for the replies!

I was interested in global politics a lot, but not the edexcel AS syllabus, thats amazingly boring, A2 is global politics which is my kind of fun :smile: just keep your notes organised properly and review what you learn in class every week and you'll be fine.
Goodluck.
I found it quite interesting although I didn't like the exam structure and marking - looks like the examiners felt the same way about me as it was the subject I got the lowest amount of UMS points in (although I still got a B so s'cool).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending