The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Accommodation Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I've been accepted for LLB Law on the conditions of AAA for 2012 entry. I'm looking for self-catered, en-suite and so kind of came to the conclusion that Birks Grainge Village or Lafrowda were for me. Have you had any experience of either? Would you place one over the other? Is one particularly inconvenient to get to?
Thanks!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 41
Original post by CharlotteM
Hey, I've been accepted for LLB Law on the conditions of AAA for 2012 entry. I'm looking for self-catered, en-suite and so kind of came to the conclusion that Birks Grainge Village or Lafrowda were for me. Have you had any experience of either? Would you place one over the other? Is one particularly inconvenient to get to?
Thanks!

I would suggest Lafrowda purely because it's a lot easier to get to the centre of campus from there as you then don't have to tackle Cardiac Hill getting up from Birks. They're both very similar layout-wise as they're both very new builds, but being closer to campus and being able to roll out of bed as late as possible is definitely a plus!
(Putting in a word for Rowe House too, same price as Lafrowda and Birks and the same refurbished kitchen but we get double beds too!)
Original post by Jemeter
I would suggest Lafrowda purely because it's a lot easier to get to the centre of campus from there as you then don't have to tackle Cardiac Hill getting up from Birks. They're both very similar layout-wise as they're both very new builds, but being closer to campus and being able to roll out of bed as late as possible is definitely a plus!
(Putting in a word for Rowe House too, same price as Lafrowda and Birks and the same refurbished kitchen but we get double beds too!)

Thank you for your help! Merry Christmas :smile:
This is a really useful thread, thanks people.

For undergraduate/self catered/ensuite/proximity to Streatham campus it seems that the options are:

Birks Grange Village/James Owen Court/Lafrowda/Northfield/Rowe House/St Germans.

Any comments or known pros and cons about these options? Cheers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Hey, so I have an offer for the Law maitrise course for 2012 AAA and I think I'll make Exeter my firm :smile: . I'm looking for catered/single enhanced/close to streatham campus and am currently mainly considering Mardon Hall - do you have any comments or anything?

Also, what is the application form like (do you number your most important wants or what?) and do you know how high the likelyhood is of being given a twin room instead of a single at say Mardon (because I really, really don't want a twin!)?

Sorry, another question, does anyone know ish when I can start applying for accommodation at exeter because it doesn't say on the website...?

Thanks!
Reply 45
Original post by L-C
Hey, so I have an offer for the Law maitrise course for 2012 AAA and I think I'll make Exeter my firm :smile: . I'm looking for catered/single enhanced/close to streatham campus and am currently mainly considering Mardon Hall - do you have any comments or anything?

Also, what is the application form like (do you number your most important wants or what?) and do you know how high the likelyhood is of being given a twin room instead of a single at say Mardon (because I really, really don't want a twin!)?

Sorry, another question, does anyone know ish when I can start applying for accommodation at exeter because it doesn't say on the website...?

Thanks!

Applications usually open around Easter sometime, it's all done online, and the way it's always been done in the past, you got to put three preferences, in order of preference. You can say you'd prefer to be in a single room to a twin, but that doesn't guarantee you'll get one (if you get that residence anyway, which you might not), and do bear in mind that quite a lot of the rooms in Mardon are twins. It's lovely, though; I don't think I've ever met anyone who wanted to move out of Mardon, even if they were in a twin.
Reply 46
Original post by killerhales
This is a really useful thread, thanks people.

For undergraduate/self catered/ensuite/proximity to Streatham campus it seems that the options are:

Birks Grange Village/James Owen Court/Lafrowda/Northfield/Rowe House/St Germans.

Any comments or known pros and cons about these options? Cheers.

Birks is practically brand new, but at the bottom of a very steep hill!
James Owen is nice but as it's off campus you can't just pop back home if you have an hour off between lectures.
Not sure about Northfield, but Lafrowda, Rowe House and St. German's are all next to each other and fairly close to the centre of campus. Lafrowda is brand new (they're still building some of the blocks), Rowe House and St. German's less so but we've got a brand new kitchen in Rowe House and us and most of St. German's have double beds too, unlike Lafrowda and Birks.
Reply 47
Original post by Persipan
Applications usually open around Easter sometime, it's all done online, and the way it's always been done in the past, you got to put three preferences, in order of preference. You can say you'd prefer to be in a single room to a twin, but that doesn't guarantee you'll get one (if you get that residence anyway, which you might not), and do bear in mind that quite a lot of the rooms in Mardon are twins. It's lovely, though; I don't think I've ever met anyone who wanted to move out of Mardon, even if they were in a twin.

Ok great thanks! So sorry what are the 3 preferences you put down?
Reply 48
Original post by L-C
Ok great thanks! So sorry what are the 3 preferences you put down?

Three places you'd most like to live - so, you could put Mardon as your first choice, and then two other places.
Reply 49
ohh ok thanks, so I assume you also specify single/twin/ensuite etc and catered/self catered, just in a different section?
Reply 50
Original post by L-C
ohh ok thanks, so I assume you also specify single/twin/ensuite etc and catered/self catered, just in a different section?

That stuff's wrapped up in the three - it's literally as specific as (for example):

1st preference Lafrowda en-suite (which is self-catering)
2nd preference Lafrowda enhanced (self-catering)
3rd preference Mardon (which is catered enhanced)

...or whatever.
Reply 51
Right! Great, thank you! :smile:
Reply 52
They don't seem to have any mature housing, which I wasn't really expecting, but do you think/know if they allow undergraduate matures in the postgraduate housing or would that be a complete no-no?

Not that I have anything against traditional aged undergraduates, but i'm a really boring older person who values sleep and peace and quiet!
Reply 53
Original post by Elle408
They don't seem to have any mature housing, which I wasn't really expecting, but do you think/know if they allow undergraduate matures in the postgraduate housing or would that be a complete no-no?

Not that I have anything against traditional aged undergraduates, but i'm a really boring older person who values sleep and peace and quiet!

I'm fairly sure they usually try to allocate more mature students accommodation together anyway, because they know people might feel like this. I'd suggest you contact the Accommodation Office and ask, though, because they might be up for allocating you to a postgrad residence.
Reply 54
Original post by Jemeter
Birks is practically brand new, but at the bottom of a very steep hill!
James Owen is nice but as it's off campus you can't just pop back home if you have an hour off between lectures.
Not sure about Northfield, but Lafrowda, Rowe House and St. German's are all next to each other and fairly close to the centre of campus. Lafrowda is brand new (they're still building some of the blocks), Rowe House and St. German's less so but we've got a brand new kitchen in Rowe House and us and most of St. German's have double beds too, unlike Lafrowda and Birks.

Brammall are you just after marks for investigations here :wink:
Writing the essay now, just started. Doubt ill finish cos I take forever with them haha
Reply 55
Original post by Persipan
I'm fairly sure they usually try to allocate more mature students accommodation together anyway, because they know people might feel like this. I'd suggest you contact the Accommodation Office and ask, though, because they might be up for allocating you to a postgrad residence.

Thanks for this! Will give them a call when/if I firm and try to sort something out!
Reply 56
Original post by sebsy
Brammall are you just after marks for investigations here :wink:
Writing the essay now, just started. Doubt ill finish cos I take forever with them haha

I'm just trying to be helpful! Essay has been done and dusted for a while now, just struggling to remember how limits work...

</threadjack>
Reply 57
Original post by Jemeter
I'm just trying to be helpful! Essay has been done and dusted for a while now, just struggling to remember how limits work...

</threadjack>

Haha, My helpfulness "CHRISTOW IS AMAZING + They're like redoing it over the summer or something, and the main door is now fixed :smile:"
Another comparison:
For catered/single/en-suite, looks like Birks Grange/Pennsylvania/Holland Hall are the options (left out Hope as only a few rooms and single beds!)

Any comments on these three halls?
Reply 59
Original post by killerhales
Another comparison:
For catered/single/en-suite, looks like Birks Grange/Pennsylvania/Holland Hall are the options (left out Hope as only a few rooms and single beds!)

Any comments on these three halls?

In terms of the rooms themselves, they're very similar. Some Penn Court rooms have a balcon, and most (all?) Holland rooms have a French window that isn't really a balcony. Birks just has windows. Obviously the locations are different (Holland's at the top of a hill, Birks at the bottom, Penny C on the flat), and each one eats in a different place. People always seem massively desperate to get Holland, but I can't say I can see why, to be honest...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending