The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Student Ambassador Introduction - Ask me questions!

Hi everyone!

My name is Becca and I am a current postgraduate at the University of Exeter, studying MSc Global Sustainability Solutions. I also did my undergraduate degree at the university, a BSc in Geography.

Home for me is Cardiff, Wales - Exeter felt like that perfect distance to gain independence but also be able to get home within a couple of hours if ever I needed to.

I have been actively involved in many societies at Exeter, including five-a-side football, welsh society, surf society and geography society. I have also participated in extra-curriculars such as the Student Ambassador Scheme, Green Consultants and the RGS ambassador programme.

If you have any questions about university life, living in Exeter, societies, course questions - literally anything you can think of, then please feel free to tag me in your posts or messages.

Hope to hear from you!

Becca
Exeter Student Ambassador

Scroll to see replies

I have applied to study for a masters. I was told they could take up to 20 working days to make a decision over whether to offer me a place. How many days will the university be closed over Christmas? I am just trying to work out what a likely date might be for when I might get a decision.
Do part time students need to pay a deposit when accepting an offer? The website says full time students should pay a deposit to secure a place, but part time students only need to accept an offer on gateway to confirm a place.

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/applying/afteryouapply/
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Anonymous
I have applied to study for a masters. I was told they could take up to 20 working days to make a decision over whether to offer me a place. How many days will the university be closed over Christmas? I am just trying to work out what a likely date might be for when I might get a decision.
Do part time students need to pay a deposit when accepting an offer? The website says full time students should pay a deposit to secure a place, but part time students only need to accept an offer on gateway to confirm a place.

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/applying/afteryouapply/

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - the University was closed from Saturday 24th December until yesterday. This accounts for three working days as there were several bank holidays in amongst there too, just to help you with your sums!

Your offer letter will clearly outline what you are required to do to confirm your offer and when the deadlines are; as the website does not indicate that part time students are required to pay a deposit I would envisage that a deposit is not a requirement but it is always best to refer to your offer letter to understand what you need to do. If you have any concerns about the deadlines/requirements stated then I would recommend speaking to our Admissions team directly so that they can accommodate where possible or signpost to support and further information.

I hope this helps - good luck with your application, I hope you don't have much longer to wait to hear from us.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
(edited 1 year ago)
Hiya!

I'm Erica and I am currently in my second year at the University of Exeter studying BSc Biological Sciences, with a particular passion for the more conservation, ecology, and animal side of things.

I currently take part in a variety of activities outside of studying, such as being a Student Ambassador, Academic Representative, and committee member of two different societies (Baking and Disney!)

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you may have about the University, the city, or about being a student in general!

I look forward to answering your questions :smile:

Erica
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Hi everyone!

My name is Hannah and I am a postgraduate student currently studying MSc Applied Data Science and Statistics at the University of Exeter. I also did my undergrad here in biology so if you have any questions about either of these courses, living in Exeter, or anything else about student life I’d be happy to answer them!

Some of my favourite things at university have been the extracurriculars. I’ve been on trips with the student’s guild to a pumpkin patch at Halloween and to Ottery St Mary to see the tar barrels on bonfire night (a really fun Devon tradition!). I also joined biosoc during my undergrad and have been on some great trips with them including to the national marine aquarium in Plymouth and to the Eden Project.

I look forward to chatting to you!

Hannah
I’ve been offered a place for English and am thinking about accommodation. I’ve started a new thread but not sure how active the Exeter sub-forum is.

There's a lot of info on student room about accommodation for Exeter but notably some threads are a lot older than others. I'm not a party person (so looking for quieter housing), and would prefer self-catered, modern accom. Does anyone have any recommendations/opinions on where to go?
Also preferably would be on campus/central.
Hi,

Congratulations on your offer! I'm also not a party person, so totally understand where you're coming from! I would recommend taking a look at the university accommodation website: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/

You'll find loads of information about all the residences, including how close they are to central campus. You can also filter by self-catered, since you know that's what you'd prefer. There are specific quiet blocks/flats available in some accommodation, which you can put as a preference when applying. More info can be found here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/applying/roomallocationprocedure/

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions!

Hannah
I’ve been offered a place for English and am thinking about accommodation. I’ve started a new thread but not sure how active the Exeter sub-forum is.

There's a lot of info on student room about accommodation for Exeter but notably some threads are a lot older than others. I'm not a party person (so looking for quieter housing), and would prefer self-catered, modern accom. Does anyone have any recommendations/opinions on where to go?
Also preferably would be on campus/central.

Hi,

Congratulations on your offer! I'm also not a party person, so totally understand where you're coming from! I would recommend taking a look at the university accommodation website: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/

You'll find loads of information about all the residences, including how close they are to central campus. You can also filter by self-catered, since you know that's what you'd prefer. There are specific quiet blocks/flats available in some accommodation, which you can put as a preference when applying. More info can be found here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/applying/roomallocationprocedure/

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions!

Hannah
Hi everyone, just thought I'd come on here and offer some finance / budgeting tips!

- Make sure you apply for student finance (if you want to!) through Student Finance England, it is expected to open in March.

- Check out if you are eligible for any bursaries or scholarships e.g. https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/funding/entrance/ and https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/funding/undergraduate/scholarships/

- Calculate the total amount of money you have for the year, and set aside the known costs e.g. tuition fees, rent, bills, any course costs (textbooks etc), phone bill, food (this will vary person to person).

- Now you know how much extra money you have, you can now set a budget for all the extras, e.g. social activities, clothes, decorations etc. It's up to you whether you would prefer to do this monthly or weekly.

- It also helps to plan when you'll be travelling home and booking trains / coaches in advance to lower the cost, and plan this into your budget.

- Try to plan your meals in advance, and batch cook where you can as this'll save money and time!

I hope these tips have helped, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions :smile:

Erica
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi everyone!

My name is Becca and I am a current postgraduate at the University of Exeter, studying MSc Global Sustainability Solutions. I also did my undergraduate degree at the university, a BSc in Geography.

Home for me is Cardiff, Wales - Exeter felt like that perfect distance to gain independence but also be able to get home within a couple of hours if ever I needed to.

I have been actively involved in many societies at Exeter, including five-a-side football, welsh society, surf society and geography society. I have also participated in extra-curriculars such as the Student Ambassador Scheme, Green Consultants and the RGS ambassador programme.

If you have any questions about university life, living in Exeter, societies, course questions - literally anything you can think of, then please feel free to tag me in your posts or messages.

Hope to hear from you!

Becca
Exeter Student Ambassador

Hi, is it hard to do MSc after uni?
Hi everyone,

Just thought I’d do a post about student finances for anyone who is looking for a place to start as I know it can seem a little confusing!

For home students from England, you can apply for loans through Student Finance England (SFE), which is expected to open in March. Everybody is entitled to loans covering the full cost of your undergraduate tuition (this is paid directly to the university from SFE). As well as this you can apply for a maintenance loan which is means tested based on household income. If you’re coming from Scotland or Wales, the system is slightly different. You must apply through a different funding agency, but you’ll still receive the full tuition loan. However, the means testing for the maintenance loan determines how much of your maintenance loan you’ll receive as a bursary (meaning you won’t have to pay this part back!).

For postgraduate students the way student finance works also depends on if you’re coming from England, Scotland, or Wales. In England and Wales, rather than receiving separate tuition and maintenance loans, you will just receive a singular loan and you will be responsible for paying your tuition fees from this. In Scotland, you still have to apply for tuition and maintenance loans seperatley.

I know it can be stressful working out the finances of coming to university, but funding is very accessible as long as you apply before the deadlines! If you have any questions please feel free to reply to this post and I’ll do my best to answer. Otherwise I would recommend looking at the government funding websites that are relevant to you (Student Finance England, Student Awards Agency Scotland, Student Finance Wales etc). There are also pages on the Exeter university website with more information, as well as information on scholarships):

Undergraduates: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees/
Postgraduates: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees/

Hope this helps! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Hiya!

I'm Erica and I am currently in my second year at the University of Exeter studying BSc Biological Sciences, with a particular passion for the more conservation, ecology, and animal side of things.

I currently take part in a variety of activities outside of studying, such as being a Student Ambassador, Academic Representative, and committee member of two different societies (Baking and Disney!)

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you may have about the University, the city, or about being a student in general!

I look forward to answering your questions :smile:

Erica

Hi Erica, I have an offer for conservation biology and ecology at the penryn campus, but unfortunately I don't think I can attend the offer holder days. May I ask if you happen to know any rep / student taking the same course or living in Penryn? The course is very good and the campus location seems ideal for it, but I am not sure what the student experience is like there. Does it get boring being in a relatively isolated place far from any city, and is it difficult to access the same amenities as in the Streatham campus in Exeter? Thank you
Hiya, firstly congratulations on your offer, that's so exciting!

I agree, that course sounds amazing, I'm quite jealous!

There is a large student presence in and around Falmouth (right next door to Penryn) and this has resulted in a variety of night life and other extra-curricular activities. Due to there being two universities nearby, Penryn / Falmouth is a very student filled area, which adds to the atmosphere, and there are often collaborations between the two universities. Also, there are plenty of student societies to get involved with and meet like minded people. There are many coastal related activities such as surfing, kayaking, sea swimming, coast walking etc, so there is plenty to do!

I recommend talking to a current student via Unibuddy to get more tailored information, I'm unsure whether there is an ambassador studying conservation biology and ecology, but there are students studying similar subjects at Penryn: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/life/ask-a-student/

I hope this has helped, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions :smile:

Erica
Hello everyone! I’m Beth; I’m a first year English & Communications undergraduate at the University of Exeter and I am absolutely loving the experience so far! As a combined honours student, I receive an excellent standard of teaching in both my subjects. There’s a plethora of clubs and societies to join and I would say that alongside my course I have found this the best way to make friends in my first year.
If you have any questions about the university or student life, please do get in touch and I will try my best to answer as quick as possible :smile:

Beth
Hi everyone! If you're currently taking your exams, I hope they're going well.

As September draws closer you may start to be getting more excited/apprehensive about moving to university. I'd encourage you to read through these threads about student life on our Streatham/St. Luke's (Exeter) and Penryn (Cornwall) campuses, depending on where you're going.

What are you looking most forward to?
Beth
Hi everyone, my name's Nina and I am a current student at the University of Exeter. I've just finished my second year studying BA Sociology (part-time) and have had a brilliant time with both my studies and extra-curriculars. I liked Sociology at A Level but I have loved it even more at University and have found my studies to be stimulating and rewarding, whilst maintaining a good work-life balance.

After the summer break, I'm really looking forward to the next year of studying at Exeter - I have found there are so many exciting opportunities to be taken, academic and otherwise. I work as a Student Ambassador, which is a really fun and interesting job, and also sing in two acappella groups at the uni (think Pitch Perfect!).

I'm a mature student - I'm 23 now - and have chronic fatigue syndrome, which also makes me a disabled student. I've found the support at Exeter to be brilliant, so if you have any questions about either of these things too please do ask, as well as any other questions about what it's like to be a student at Exeter. Let me know if you are thinking of coming to Exeter in September!

Nina
Hi everyone!

My name is Bethan and I'm currently studying a part-time Master's degree in Advanced Biological Sciences here at Exeter. I also studied here during my undergraduate degree in which I studied Biological Sciences.

I loved my time at Exeter during my undergraduate degree (why else would I choose to study here again:smile:?). Exeter is a lovely place to live - with lots of shops in the city centre, beaches a short train journey away and beautiful landscapes like Dartmoor nearby. I was lucky enough to undertake my undergraduate research project on the Exe Estuary - studying the Oystercatchers that visit there over winter!

During my time at Exeter, I've been part of many societies including Biosoc (the Biosciences society), salsa society, swimming society and Bodysoc (a fun and inclusive fitness society). There are so many other societies to choose from! You can have a browse at them here if you'd like.

As I've studied here four years now, I'm hoping to be able to answer any of your questions about student life at Exeter, student life in general, accommodation, studying biology, the societies Exeter has to offer and student wellbeing. Just post your questions and I'll try my best to answer!:smile:

I hope you all have a lovely summer!

Bethan
Hi everyone!

My name is Bethan and I'm currently studying a part-time Master's degree in Advanced Biological Sciences here at Exeter. I also studied here during my undergraduate degree in which I studied Biological Sciences.

I loved my time at Exeter during my undergraduate degree (why else would I choose to study here again:smile:?). Exeter is a lovely place to live - with lots of shops in the city centre, beaches a short train journey away and beautiful landscapes like Dartmoor nearby. I was lucky enough to undertake my undergraduate research project on the Exe Estuary - studying the Oystercatchers that visit there over winter!

During my time at Exeter, I've been part of many societies including Biosoc (the Biosciences society), salsa society, swimming society and Bodysoc (a fun and inclusive fitness society). There are so many other societies to choose from! You can have a browse at them here if you'd like.

As I've studied here four years now, I'm hoping to be able to answer any of your questions about student life at Exeter, student life in general, accommodation, studying biology, the societies Exeter has to offer and student wellbeing. Just post your questions and I'll try my best to answer!:smile:

I hope you all have a lovely summer!

Bethan

Hi, this is probably a stupid question, but does accom with a 32 week contract (i.e catered halls) cover freshers week? thanks
Hi, this is probably a stupid question, but does accom with a 32 week contract (i.e catered halls) cover freshers week? thanks

Hi there,

Not a stupid question, it's actually got me thinking! I stayed in self-catered and it did, even in private halls it covered freshers week. I would take a guess that it does as I'm sure they wouldn't want anyone to miss out on the freshers fun. Have you been given a start of tenancy date/move in slots?

I've had a quick look on the Terms and Conditions and it says " if the Room is located within a Catered Residence, the Period of Residence is for academic terms and the Freshers’ week only and does not include the Christmas, Easter or summer vacation periods". I'll link the rest of the document here if you wanted to read.

I hope this helps,
Bethan
Hi there,

Not a stupid question, it's actually got me thinking! I stayed in self-catered and it did, even in private halls it covered freshers week. I would take a guess that it does as I'm sure they wouldn't want anyone to miss out on the freshers fun. Have you been given a start of tenancy date/move in slots?

I've had a quick look on the Terms and Conditions and it says " if the Room is located within a Catered Residence, the Period of Residence is for academic terms and the Freshers’ week only and does not include the Christmas, Easter or summer vacation periods". I'll link the rest of the document here if you wanted to read.

I hope this helps,
Bethan

thanks, I don't have my accom yet i was just curious :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending