The Student Room Group

Anyone else here dream of moving abroad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Linweth
How about places such as France?

The issue there is not the passport but getting a job as France has quite high unemployment especially youth unemployment. Obviously you would need to be bilingual as well as France isn't one of those countries where you could get by on just speaking English. If you are a bilingual engineer then France might be a viable option but again for the average UK graduate who only speaks English and got a 2:1 in a non job related degree, finding a career job in France (as opposed to a ski chalet type job) is going to be very difficult.
Original post by Linweth

I visited Normandy and the attitude of the French was horrendous. They are the most obnoxiousy, rude people I have ever met. The French are horrible people. And what made me angry was that my grandad who fought at D-DAY was treated like a peice of ****, this is a man who was shot trying to liberate your ****ing country.

I would never set foot in France again
I am Scottish and I love Scotland I doubt I would move, if I did however I would never leave Europe.
Reply 23
I definitely want to move abroad after graduating but I don't know if I see myself settling somewhere else. I'd stay within Europe, anywhere else would be too far away from my family. I just want to experience something a bit different and maybe find somewhere I feel... good, almost? I don't know, something about the UK just doesn't feel right for me.
Reply 24
Yes - I think a lot of people have failed to see how hard it is to emmigrate* anywhere.

As someone who has been lucky enough to manage the first step to emmigration even the 'easiest' routes aren't easy.

*I mean properly emmigrate - as in permanently settle in another country. I'm not counting living and working in an EU country when you have an EU passport. If, however, you wanted to gain citizenship of that other country, that counts.
Reply 25
Original post by Strathclyder
I visited Normandy and the attitude of the French was horrendous. They are the most obnoxiousy, rude people I have ever met. The French are horrible people. And what made me angry was that my grandad who fought at D-DAY was treated like a peice of ****, this is a man who was shot trying to liberate your ****ing country.

I wasn't asking for a sob-story about your hatred towards the French.
Original post by Linweth
I wasn't asking for a sob-story about your hatred towards the French.

The French should be on their knees kissing the feet of British tourists, we liberated you, and if it were not for Britain you would be speaking German.
Reply 27
Original post by MagicNMedicine
The issue there is not the passport but getting a job as France has quite high unemployment especially youth unemployment. Obviously you would need to be bilingual as well as France isn't one of those countries where you could get by on just speaking English. If you are a bilingual engineer then France might be a viable option but again for the average UK graduate who only speaks English and got a 2:1 in a non job related degree, finding a career job in France (as opposed to a ski chalet type job) is going to be very difficult.

Thanks for the help :smile: I know a bit of French already but I am still taking up classes to get me fluent enough to be able to live there. :colondollar:
Original post by Linweth
Thanks for the help :smile: I know a bit of French already but I am still taking up classes to get me fluent enough to be able to live there. :colondollar:

You will never be accepted by them, never.
Reply 29
Original post by Mr_Platini
Anyone else here dream of moving abroad (for whatever reason, feel free to post them below) after uni/school?

Yeah, I plan to, when I retire, move to Germany or Netherlands. Beautiful countries.
Reply 30
Original post by ShadowConspiracy
US or Australia, If I'm still in this ****hole of a country by the time I'm 30 then I've failed life.

haha, me too!
It's not a dream, it's a goal
Yes! :biggrin: America, as I have a US passport. Dunno which state yet, though. Would also love to live in Italy, but I suck at learning foreign languages.
Reply 33

No one cares about your granddad. He's just another old person to people. :rolleyes:
Reply 34
I applied through AFS for an exchange year programme 2 years ago, destination: USA. I was sent to North Dakota and besides my initial prejudices it was awesooome! I'm now going to study and live in Edinburgh and once I get my degree....who knows? =P
Best answer for this came from my former uni flatmate who reckons that the UK will end up under Shariah law before long because of the 'pc idiots' allowing too many Muslims over here, he said he was going to leave the UK when he'd graduated, I asked where, he said one of the Gulf Arab states where you don't have to pay tax. I pointed out that he may find himself living under Shariah law in a country full of Muslims...."yeah but its different tho innit".
I'm moving to Germany to work in October and I'm pretty happy about it :-D
Original post by Linweth

Do you speak fluent French and do you have a degree that is in something decent like engineering? if yes come and give it a shot... bear in mind that it is French first, foreigner second when it comes to jobs (at least it is in some jobs).

I have never met anyone in Normandy to be rude to tourists as that is one of the main industries up there and they always treat veterans with respect... not that it matters to you as you are not one but an obnoxious schoolboy who was most likely rejected by a French girl and thus decided to hate the whole region as you ain't gettin' any :rolleyes:

As for you never coming back, good! no one wants a moaner like you around :colonhash:
Original post by tehFrance
Do you speak fluent French and do you have a degree that is in something decent like engineering? if yes come and give it a shot... bear in mind that it is French first, foreigner second when it comes to jobs (at least it is in some jobs).

I have never met anyone in Normandy to be rude to tourists as that is one of the main industries up there and they always treat veterans with respect... not that it matters to you as you are not one but an obnoxious schoolboy who was most likely rejected by a French girl and thus decided to hate the whole region as you ain't gettin' any :rolleyes:

As for you never coming back, good! no one wants a moaner like you around :colonhash:

Frog eating, snail slurping surrender monkey
Frog eating, snail slurping surrender monkey

Frogs taste like stringy chicken and snails taste nice :fyi:

Quick Reply

Latest