The Student Room Group

Anyone else here dream of moving abroad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If I am able to find a job in Scotland, I'd LOVE to stay here : )
Glasgow's amazing!

As for the USA trend I see here - I wouldnt go and live there, I'ld much rather go on a road trip or smth, but never stay there.
Reply 41
I currently live in the US, and I am trying to get into the University of Manchester for my undergraduate degree. I really love London and that is my ultimate goal after Uni...to live and work in London. I really hope it works out for me, it has been my dream for quite a while now. :smile: I'm really surprised at the amount of people who want to live and work in the US! The US is OK, but I like the social values it Europe a LOT better. :smile:
Reply 43
I don't know why any of you would want to live in France. The country itself is great, but the people don't deserve it!
Original post by Mr_Platini
I don't know why any of you would want to live in France. The country itself is great, but the people don't deserve it!

By natural selection it would be German.
Reply 45
would love to go live in Hong Kong or Shanghai or Beijing. Very fascinated with China, been there a few times, amazing cities, amazing people.
Anyone else here dream of moving abroad (for whatever reason, feel free to post them below) after uni/school?

I dream of this every minute of every day, no exageration. Im not too fond of the UK
Reply 47
Why does everyone want to live in America? I don't understand. Do you know that overall 40% of taxes of an average American taxpayer fund the three wars that the US is currently in?

EDIT: To answer OP's question, I'd love to live in France or the Netherlands in the future.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well it comes down to what you really want from life when immigrating; is it money, is it entertainment, good weather or pretty women.

So Europe has a variety of countries !!
Reply 49
Living overseas is ****ing hard.
Original post by DH-Biker
I'm going on a year-trip around America. "50 States in 50 weeks" with two for Christmas.

I have a sort of, "urge", to just lose myself there, though.

In the future, failing my chances to find myself permanent residence in the US of A or move up to Canada. I would like to move abroad later in life too. France, Canada, Holland maybe?

But yeah, I love the Lake District, but staying here/the UK just isn't for me. :smile:

Holland?

Bit flat no?lol

Anyone else here dream of moving abroad (for whatever reason, feel free to post them below) after uni/school?

Yeah, wana move to Canada. Head there every year, ****ing amazing place.

Failing to do so I'd say one of the Latin american countries, probably Costa Rica
Reply 51
Original post by bestofyou
Holland?

Bit flat no?lol

Unfortunately so. :tongue:

There's Downhill tracks towards the Borders. But it'll be nice to spend time with my Dad. :tongue:
Plus, not like I can't take a few-hour train journey to France, Germany, Austria, etc. :tongue:
Reply 52
Original post by MJay91
Why does everyone want to live in America? I don't understand. Do you know that overall 40% of taxes of an average American taxpayer fund the three wars that the US is currently in?

EDIT: To answer OP's question, I'd love to live in France or the Netherlands in the future.

Don't be ridiculous.

The US will take in about $4.5 trillion in tax this year. The cost of the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan for FY2011 will be around $159.3 billion; Libya has so far cost a tad less than a billion.

$160 billion is about 3.5% of $4.5 trillion.
Reply 53
Oz for a few years, perhaps NZ for a few more, somewhere in the gulf states for a few years, perhaps a research fellowship in the US for a couple of years(not so hard in paperwork terms), I hate the idea of paying so much tax staying here.
I wanna live in Singapore!!
Reply 55
I want to be a teacher and teach in another country. Not sure where yet, but I know it needs to be somewhere hot!
Reply 56
I was going to move to Amsterdam next month(had several interviews for jobs lined up and a few house shares lined up) but I got lucky through clearing so I'm pushing that back till after I have my degree.

Then eventually California but its such a bitch to move to the states.
I was supposed to be leaving the UK again for Germany after I graduated. I can't at the moment but the option is still there and I'd like to live and work there permanently, it was a good experience.
Reply 58
I've lived in the USA, I made good friends (most of whom's parents were temporary workers so 90% of them ended up moving again) but it as a place isn't that special (unless you go to visit places like the grand canyon, redwood forest, etc) so I was pretty happy to have come back to the UK at the time (I forgot how nice food that isn't filled with hydrogenated oil/high fructose corn syrup is)

I've lived in France too for a bit, which was great (although I was 5 and 6 so I might have had rose tinted spectacles)

Anyway, I don't want to move abroad for a long time, but I don't want to stay in the UK for the rest of my life either, so temporarily living in places abroad might be the best option. I get an itch if I don't move (not necessarily abroad though) after a long enough time period now unfortunately, since I've moved so much in my life so far.

If I do move, I defiantly don't want to go to a hot place, living in the USA has put me off it for life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by No Man
I've lived in the USA, I made good friends (most of whom's parents were temporary workers so 90% of them ended up moving again) but it as a place isn't that special (unless it's to visit places like the grand canyon, redwood forest, etc) so I was pretty happy to have come back to the UK at the time (I forgot how nice food that isn't filled with hydrogenated oil/high fructose corn syrup is)

I've lived in France too for a bit, which was great (although I was 5 and 6 so I might have had rose tinted spectacles)

Anyway, I don't want to move abroad for a long time, but I don't want to stay in the UK for the rest of my life either, so temporarily living in places abroad might be the best option. I get an itch if I don't move (not necessarily abroad though) after a long enough time period now unfortunately, since I've moved so much in my life so far.

If I do move, I defiantly don't want to go to a hot place, living in the USA has put me off it for life.

I don't see the fuss about the U.S. either. Yes, there are some exciting places like NYC or San Francisco, but all in all most places are filled with some very conservative, Jesus-obsessed, extremely patriotic (ignorant) people. The cities are not that attractive either. You have to drive literally everywhere and some neighbourhoods don't even have sidewalks. The poverty rate is very high and you see a lot more homeless people there than in Europe generally. I've stayed with four families and none of them were trying to be energy efficient. They did not recycle at all and once when we left for a few days, they didn't even bother to turn off the computer. I'm also not particularly keen of the gun and hunting culture. People killing deers and then uploading pics of their 'trophys' on facebook. Please don't get me wrong, I really like the U.S. and I'm always sad to leave, but on the other hand I'm happy that I live here. I think Europeans should value their continent a bit more.

Quick Reply

Latest