The Student Room Group

Where Should I apply to, for Economics?

Hey guys.

Thought i'd make a thread to get more advice, rather than posting on other threads.

I'm very confused as to where to apply.

I got 2A*'s 7A's and a D at GCSE (A*'s in Core and Additional Science, D in Spanish)

and an AAAB (Maths, Economics, Chemistry, History) at AS.

I'm taking up Further Maths AS and EPQ (Econ related).

Aiming for A*A*A*Aab (A*'s in Maths, Econ EPQ. A in Chemistry, a in FM AS, and b in History AS)

I've already established that I could potentially gain entry to Durham and Bristol, with advice from Psychotic546 (thank you).

Would appreciate any help, thanks.
GCSEs may be weak for durham/bristol economics. If you can get the A2s youre aiming for, Id say apply post a level to anywhere you fancy. Simply because by then your lack of A*s at GCSE will be irrelevant.
Reply 2
If you can get A*AA or better you can pretty much (in thoery) go anywhere. But there will always be more people who are capable of getting the grades than get offers, so you need a strong PS to set yourself apart.

Have you considered: LSE, UCL, Warwick?
Reply 3
Original post by dreadnaut
If you can get A*AA or better you can pretty much (in thoery) go anywhere. But there will always be more people who are capable of getting the grades than get offers, so you need a strong PS to set yourself apart.

Have you considered: LSE, UCL, Warwick?

LSE, UCL and Warwick have many applicants per place, it may be silly to apply as my GCSE profile will hold me back significantly compared to other candidates.
Reply 4
Original post by Rafaz
LSE, UCL and Warwick have many applicants per place, it may be silly to apply as my GCSE profile will hold me back significantly compared to other candidates.

Indeed. I was going to say, even with perfect grades, simply by accounting some will be dissapointed - there are fewer place than there are A grade students.

Maybe try choose from the similar ones:

LSE or UCL (both high rank and london)
Durham or Bristol etc.

But if you really can achieve those grades, don't let the numbers put you off. Try and Take one high uni (slim chance) 3 moderate chance-of-sucess unis and 1 that you think you are sure you will get an offer from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending