The Student Room Group

Am I a parasitic money leech or are my parents just tight?

Scroll to see replies

Why can't you opt for cheaper accomodation?
Original post by apecallum
I'm starting my first year of uni this September at Manchester.

Both my parents (separated) have household incomes exceeding £50,000 which means I will be receiving the bare minimum maintenance loan available from student finance/

I've worked out that my accommodation alone will overstep my maintenance loan by a grand or so, meaning my financial situation will be pretty bloody precarious indeed, especially taking into account expenditures such as books, clothing etc, not even mentioning the bare essentials (food/alcohol) that I will require throughout the year.

My parents however seem to be less sympathetic than I would have imagined them to be. They are promising me a personal allowance of £200 per month which will mean I will have barely £50 to spend outside of my accommodation. At first I thought this was a joke but they seem to think it's possible to get by on this sort of chump change. Is this common?

It seems like my financial situation is going to be significantly worse than students with far lower household incomes.

I'm obviously going to find a job alongside my studies but I doubt that will make the difference between what a typical student would receive loan wise.

Help?!

That's just the way **** is. Sorta sucks but oh well. At least we didn't have to grow up in cardboard boxes, amirite? ;p

Original post by DuncanMono
Why can't you opt for cheaper accomodation?

My loan didn't cover my accommodation and I lived in some of the cheapest (this is Leicester too, so hardly the most expensive place in the world) and I didn't really have much in the way of choice about which accommodation I got, which is the case for many people.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think £50 a week is more than adequate - although from my experience, may students blow their budget on alcohol in freshers then live off 8p noodles the remainder of the term..

I am not sure what the original issue re parents is.. I guess income is all relative. Joint income of £50k could easily be swallowed up by mortgages and general household expenses.

As someone who used to earn in excess of £40k on his own, and lived with his parents, £50k isn't actually that much. I would think that unless parents are mortgage free and have very little life, then they are being fairly generous.

University accommodation does seem farly expensive though, my MSc funding does cover my rent for the year, and gives me about £1,000 for the remainder of the year for food and bills (i don't drink alcohol so have no unnecessary expense there) - thankfully I have money sat in premium bonds and other savings accounts to top-up my living expenses, and my parents also give me £xxx a month too.

With regard to the comments about the underground - do you not get free underground if you're a London based student?
Original post by Octohedral
My household income is lower than that with both parents working (but £70000, so still high), and I get £100 per month, plus a job. However, my parents increased their mortgage to send me to a private school, so that doesn't prove anything.

(Rant over, I just hate it when people are judged on their school - it's never that simple. :tongue: )

Sorry, didn't mean to offend! I just see it that way as many of my parents' friends are quite rich, and their kids all go to the local private grammar, or Rugby, or Bedales and so on and so forth, whereas my friends aren't so rich and went to state school + college. So, in my mind it's quite clear cut, but I realise this isn't always the case, especially as I was kind of in the middle so to speak...it was be at the lower income end of private school, or the higher end of state school (not that I thought that way at 11). I really didn't mean to judge, it was more a comment that, as I chose state school over private school (parents gave me the choice), my parents were in a better position to help me now. That is to say that they could have put me through private school, but it would have been a bit of a strain, and then they would not have as much of the savings that allow them to help me out now....if that makes sense. That is not to say that private school isn't a worthwhile investment (don't want to inadvertently offend anyone there)
Original post by No Future
bold

Listen, I do understand. I have a cause, I'm pretty sure there is some stone logic behind my reasoning for the loan system to be put in place in the first place. Obviously the government make mistakes, but you can't pretend that it's obscene of me to think that it's not unfair for people from wealthy backgrounds to have a less funding from the government. Like I said yes students are 18 and classified as adults, however, they are still in education, still reliant and unable to provide for themselves.

In my eyes, you are still monetarily responsible for your child when they go to university because they are unable to provide for themselves the way one can who works full time and has already gone through education. I know for a fact, if I have children I will help them the best I can throughout university because you're not sending them out to work, it's unfair to expect them to go to university without any help whatsoever. It's pretty vile if parents refuse to help their kids and expect the government to do so if they have every means to be able to help. What are they going to do with their money? Get some nice material possessions, go on holiday. Obviously, personally when a one leaves uni I'd then say 'you're on your own' because they can now get a full time job and have no reason to be in a state where they are unable to provide for themselves. I understand you have to teach your kids autonomy and independence from parents giving them money at some point, and while you would already learn so much independence at uni I don't think it is the time to leave them on their own regarding money when you can perfectly well help them. That is why I disagree with you on the front that 'we are all equal when students' because we aren't.

I have a friend who is probably far from as wealthy as the people on here but her parents do pretty well, she asked me once how much money I have in my bank, I told her £100. She was very shocked. She said 'no, your real bank that your parents keep for you!'. There is no real bank. She will glide through uni easily, and will use the little loan that she does receive to get a new car. This is why I think it's ridiculous to expect taxpayers to not only fund poor people through uni, but wealthy people as well who really do not need it. This is also why I mentioned EMA earlier (I'm not sure if it was you or someone else who was confused by that). My point was, people resented poor people having EMA, yet it's probably the same people who suggest they should have loans even though they clearly do not need it because instead of the gov. funding them, their parents can. One second you whine about the burden help such as EMA has on taxpayers, yet the next you complain about the taxpayers not providing for the wealthy people enough. Which clearly instigates that you are only reasoning out of self interest. It's always going to be a case of 'why does he deserve more help than me just 'cause he's poor, it's not my fault my parents work harder!'.

Now bloody hell I'm not saying anything else on the matter.
Reply 85
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Oh there is. Some parents can subsidise their kids. Some can't. Some are in between. Loans should fill these gaps, balance things out a bit.
Major and only flaw-some parents decide not to give to their kids.

Of course there's reasoning behind my argument, I'm pretty sure the system wouldn't be as it is if it wasn't for some basic intelligence and knowledge administered by someone who knows their ****. I'm not up for debate on this one, my view is immobile. :]

You make the major presumption that the system works in identifying how much parents can afford to give there kids. Id' argue - all other points aside - that the system doesn't do this as it doesn't account enough for the cost of siblings leaving most families with over 3 children woefully underfunded.

Also that's a somewhat optimistic view of the government.
Reply 86
I get a total maintenance grant and loan of roughly £6,000 on which just over £4,500 goes on my accommodation, which means I have about £25/week left after that. I'm hoping for something closer to £60/week meaning my parents should be able to help me out. Obviously everyone's needs are different - but personally I enjoy going out and drinking so I'm going to have to budget for that, so while someone else may be able to get by on say £40 per week I definitely couldn't. I don't think it's ridiculous to expect your parents to give you a bit more, obviously even £60/week is quite tight (depending on what your expenses are). I would say to aim for a part time job (I will be), however it's never a guarantee in this economic climate so personally I think your parents should be there to help out
Reply 87
Do you mean £50 a week? If so then that's plenty. Just don't blow it all on stuff you don't need. Make sure you budget.

I'm just getting the minimum amount as well and I'm dealing with this by opting for the cheapest accommodation option, working over the summer, saving money, budgeting, always looking around for cheaper deals when buying things etc.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Obviously the government make mistakes, but you can't pretend that it's obscene of me to think that it's not unfair for people from wealthy backgrounds to have a less funding from the government. Like I said yes students are 18 and classified as adults, however, they are still in education, still reliant and unable to provide for themselves.

So why would it be unfair to base amount of student loan on the student's income rather than the parental income? There is no obligation for parents to pay for their adult child's uni education

In my eyes, you are still monetarily responsible for your child when they go to university
In your eyes =/= legal obligation to provide for your children

I know for a fact, if I have children I will help them the best I can throughout university because you're not sending them out to work, it's unfair to expect them to go to university without any help whatsoever. It's pretty vile if parents refuse to help their kids and expect the government to do so if they have every means to be able to help. What are they going to do with their money? Get some nice material possessions, go on holiday.
Well, I quite agree, but the money belongs to the parents, not the student

I understand you have to teach your kids autonomy and independence from parents giving them money at some point, and while you would already learn so much independence at uni I don't think it is the time to leave them on their own regarding money when you can perfectly well help them.
I agree

I have a friend who is probably far from as wealthy as the people on here but her parents do pretty well, she asked me once how much money I have in my bank, I told her £100. She was very shocked. She said 'no, your real bank that your parents keep for you!'. There is no real bank. She will glide through uni easily, and will use the little loan that she does receive to get a new car.
What is your point? So your friend's parents have a special account for her, doesn't mean everyone with well off parents does

This is why I think it's ridiculous to expect taxpayers to not only fund poor people through uni, but wealthy people as well who really do not need it.
Assumptions, assumptions

This is also why I mentioned EMA earlier (I'm not sure if it was you or someone else who was confused by that). My point was, people resented poor people having EMA, yet it's probably the same people who suggest they should have loans even though they clearly do not need it because instead of the gov. funding them, their parents can. One second you whine about the burden help such as EMA has on taxpayers, yet the next you complain about the taxpayers not providing for the wealthy people enough. Which clearly instigates that you are only reasoning out of self interest. It's always going to be a case of 'why does he deserve more help than me just 'cause he's poor, it's not my fault my parents work harder!'.
I never said I was against the EMA. In any case, that has nothing to do with student loans for people over the age of 18

Now bloody hell I'm not saying anything else on the matter.

bold

It comes across from your posts that you have this idea that people whose parents earn above the threshold are a) rich b) give their children lots of money. It appears that your opinions are prejudiced by this false belief.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
This thread has really opened my eyes. I cant believe so many peoples parents are giving them this much or even anything...i'm the total opposite.

I get the lowest loan due to household income. I think out household income is roughly 65-70k per annum

To put it into perspective household income per month after deductions is around £3,700

Anyway I know my parents pay bills and a large mortgage and etc etc... but I also know that there is in excess of £500+ surplus money each month.

I'm starting Uni and really wanted to live away but cant afford it as my loan wont cover accom, and I'm too scared to move thinking just get a P/T job and pay for it because if i cant find a job quick enough I would get in a mess.

So now i'm left living at home with parents working 20 hours a week here and getting around £560.00 per month. Out of that i pay my car insurance, car loan, petrol, phone bill AND NOW BOARD WTF

Basically:
160 Car insurance
140 Car loan
160 ish fuel to commute to work and uni + general going out
40 phone bill

Now I was hoping to do less hours, but i cant afford not to even though im livng home. I get £2600 ish as maintenance loan which will be abit of money for going out and that

But now even though I have self funded all driving lessons and car etc and could probably manage myself like I am JUST.

My parents are asking me for board as I'm living at home. Approx £100.00 per month.

I find this unfair as it is due to their income that I cant afford to move out and that I dont get any grants or anything.

Surely they should be giving me some money and helping me out??? Or am i seeing this situation wrong.

Sorry for long post!!
Reply 90
My parents only give me £50 and it's easy, I wouldn't know what to spend any extra money on.
Original post by every cloud
Sorry, didn't mean to offend! I just see it that way as many of my parents' friends are quite rich, and their kids all go to the local private grammar, or Rugby, or Bedales and so on and so forth, whereas my friends aren't so rich and went to state school + college. So, in my mind it's quite clear cut, but I realise this isn't always the case, especially as I was kind of in the middle so to speak...it was be at the lower income end of private school, or the higher end of state school (not that I thought that way at 11). I really didn't mean to judge, it was more a comment that, as I chose state school over private school (parents gave me the choice), my parents were in a better position to help me now. That is to say that they could have put me through private school, but it would have been a bit of a strain, and then they would not have as much of the savings that allow them to help me out now....if that makes sense. That is not to say that private school isn't a worthwhile investment (don't want to inadvertently offend anyone there)

Don't worry, you didn't offend me! :biggrin:

Sorry if it came across like that, I was just making a general point of interest. Mainly because I'm procrastinating.
Man up.

Me (and my sister) are getting NOTHING from our parents.

Grow up and stand on your own two feet. Jeez.
Reply 93
Original post by apecallum
I'm starting my first year of uni this September at Manchester.

Both my parents (separated) have household incomes exceeding £50,000 which means I will be receiving the bare minimum maintenance loan available from student finance/

I've worked out that my accommodation alone will overstep my maintenance loan by a grand or so, meaning my financial situation will be pretty bloody precarious indeed, especially taking into account expenditures such as books, clothing etc, not even mentioning the bare essentials (food/alcohol) that I will require throughout the year.

My parents however seem to be less sympathetic than I would have imagined them to be. They are promising me a personal allowance of £200 per month which will mean I will have barely £50 to spend outside of my accommodation. At first I thought this was a joke but they seem to think it's possible to get by on this sort of chump change. Is this common?

It seems like my financial situation is going to be significantly worse than students with far lower household incomes.

I'm obviously going to find a job alongside my studies but I doubt that will make the difference between what a typical student would receive loan wise.

Help?!

loool chump change thats the type of stuff my parents do they make me seem crazy for wanting more money when what they initially gave me was not even close to being enough.
Reply 94
I'm about 1500 short for my accomodation and because the student finance amount is calculated from the year 2009-2010 i get the minimum amount despite the fact my dad lost his job due to government cuts and my mum is earning significantly less then she was a couple of years ago. I have no choice but to get a job which yeah is annoying but can't really do much about it :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Patriot
Man up.

Me (and my sister) are getting NOTHING from our parents.

Grow up and stand on your own two feet. Jeez.

The point is that people with low-earning parents do not stand up on their own two feet and neither do people with high earning parents who contribute sufficiently. The former are propped up by taxpayers and the latter by their parents. This means that everyone else who then has to get a job is at an unfair disadvantage from the start because they have to work when they should be studying, so their grades and therefore future will suffer.
Original post by KKKKatie
I'm about 1500 short for my accomodation and because the student finance amount is calculated from the year 2009-2010 i get the minimum amount despite the fact my dad lost his job due to government cuts and my mum is earning significantly less then she was a couple of years ago. I have no choice but to get a job which yeah is annoying but can't really do much about it :/

Can you fill in a change of circumstances form?
Reply 97
Original post by Fizzypop33
This thread has really opened my eyes. I cant believe so many peoples parents are giving them this much or even anything...i'm the total opposite.

I get the lowest loan due to household income. I think out household income is roughly 65-70k per annum

To put it into perspective household income per month after deductions is around £3,700

Anyway I know my parents pay bills and a large mortgage and etc etc... but I also know that there is in excess of £500+ surplus money each month.

I'm starting Uni and really wanted to live away but cant afford it as my loan wont cover accom, and I'm too scared to move thinking just get a P/T job and pay for it because if i cant find a job quick enough I would get in a mess.

So now i'm left living at home with parents working 20 hours a week here and getting around £560.00 per month. Out of that i pay my car insurance, car loan, petrol, phone bill AND NOW BOARD WTF

Basically:
160 Car insurance
140 Car loan
160 ish fuel to commute to work and uni + general going out
40 phone bill

Now I was hoping to do less hours, but i cant afford not to even though im livng home. I get £2600 ish as maintenance loan which will be abit of money for going out and that

But now even though I have self funded all driving lessons and car etc and could probably manage myself like I am JUST.

My parents are asking me for board as I'm living at home. Approx £100.00 per month.

I find this unfair as it is due to their income that I cant afford to move out and that I dont get any grants or anything.

Surely they should be giving me some money and helping me out??? Or am i seeing this situation wrong.

Sorry for long post!!

Sorry to be unsympathetic, but £100 'board' a month is a better deal than you're going to get anywhere else. I presume you'll get food with that, so I would advise you to refinance other expenditure. £2600 plus pay should be enough to be getting on with; many students don't run a car, which seems to be your major financial drain. Plus, the maintenance loan breaks down £2600/12=£217 a month. It'll be tight, but I suggest you take the 'board' out of there.
£50 a week isn't really much, but if you find a job that'll get you at least another £50 a week.
My dad is giving me £100 a week but that's London, so it'll be slightly more - £50 really isn't much. You can make it work, but it'll be hard, you'll have to choose between cycling everywhere or not going out :P
Original post by No Future
bold

It comes across from your posts that you have this idea that people whose parents earn above the threshold are a) rich b) give their children lots of money. It appears that your opinions are prejudiced by this false belief.

If they earn the amount of money deemed too much to qualify for a loan then they are rich and if you disagree you need a wakeup call. And your secod remark is shocking, I have adressed that in every ****ing post, obviously you are reading but have no clue what the hell I am saying. You've closed your mind to the matter, your only reply ever is that I don't understand. Dense..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending