The Student Room Group

Psychology VS Law

Hey I just wanted to know some general opinions on which of the two subjects people prefer. I'm still deciding between Law and Psychology to stud at uni, I have experience in psychology (taking it at A-level), but I have no idea what Law would be like. Anyone who's studies/studied either of the two would be a great help thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Sunny Razza
Hey I just wanted to know some general opinions on which of the two subjects people prefer. I'm still deciding between Law and Psychology to stud at uni, I have experience in psychology (taking it at A-level), but I have no idea what Law would be like. Anyone who's studies/studied either of the two would be a great help thanks :biggrin:

I haven't done psychology myself but it's my girlfriends favourite subject so I've been hearing a lot. Law is a great degree to study, and you will probably do a lot better if you manage to get into a law degree. At the same time, though, these courses are a lot harder to get in so it is difficult to say which one would be better.

But from your post, it seems like you don't really have something crazy for psychology either. Especially nowadays, it may be harder to find a job with a psychology degree.

Try look at the course descriptions, and the syllabus of some law and psychology degrees at a university you might end up in, and see if any of them appeal to you. Most students who study psychology are probably people who are really into it, and are going to tell you it's amazing. It doesn't mean every single person is going to feel the same so be careful about that.
Reply 2
Original post by Kagesou

Original post by Kagesou
I haven't done psychology myself but it's my girlfriends favourite subject so I've been hearing a lot. Law is a great degree to study, and you will probably do a lot better if you manage to get into a law degree. At the same time, though, these courses are a lot harder to get in so it is difficult to say which one would be better.

But from your post, it seems like you don't really have something crazy for psychology either. Especially nowadays, it may be harder to find a job with a psychology degree.

Try look at the course descriptions, and the syllabus of some law and psychology degrees at a university you might end up in, and see if any of them appeal to you. Most students who study psychology are probably people who are really into it, and are going to tell you it's amazing. It doesn't mean every single person is going to feel the same so be careful about that.

Thanks for the answer, it was helpful :smile: like I said I already do psychology at A-level and I'm good at it. My problem is I'm not sure what I want to do as a final career "/
Reply 3
Psychology is definitely an interesting course, as is law. However, in terms of career, lifestyle and everyday's work law is far more interesting, rewarding and challenging. Do you want to be a clinical psychologist, working with mentally ill people - or do your want to work in an exciting international field where you have practically limitless opportunities and career choices?
(edited 12 years ago)
You do realise that you can try out psychology and then do a conversion to law?
Reply 5
Original post by Nightstar-27
You do realise that you can try out psychology and then do a conversion to law?

That's true. Since if you do like psychology then you will have a degree in it, however, if you didn't like law then you would have a degree in it, but then the question of 'what do I do now?'

So essentially, you can get a first degree in psychology and then do the GDL Conversion to law, which is 1 year or the postgraduate law degree, which is 2 years.

To qualify as a lawyer you need your training contract and most importantly the LPC (well actually they're both important lol), which can amount to £10,000, depending on the insitution etc; etc. Or you can do the LPC part-time.

Or if you want to become a barrister then you have your pupillage and the BPTC, again an extremely hard road, since there are as you probably know a large amount of graduates fighting for a handful of pupillage places; same goes for training contracts.

I think you really need to think hard on what you want to do, because things move fast. If you have no idea what you want to do, then I suggest you either get yourself fully educated on what opportunities law degree can yield, and the journey into the legal world. Once you have read about the difficulty of gaining a training contract/pupillage, then qualifying and you still want to go ahead, then I think you should know 'what' exactly you want to do. Since the legal field is so wide and potentially endless, what happens now is what can lead to that planned future, it's too late to get there and then plan.

ANYWAYS, a law degree isn't vocational, so even if you do a law degree and you don't want to be a lawyer or whatever, then you don't have to! :smile: You can do anything, civil service, some government department worker, research; whatever takes your fancy really.

There's always the ILEX route, :google: is your answer haha.

Well, psychology wise I thought about that around 6 years ago, for about 10 minutes and thought no, and I don't know why. :confused: I think it's just because I know science isn't my strongest field, so I won't be AS sucessful shall we say.

It's up to you anyway, just give us a shout if there's anything else you want to ask, but seriously it's best to have some idea what you want to go into as a career.
Reply 6
Wow that's a lot of stuff to think about haha. I guess i have a lot of research ahead of me in terms
Of Law. What really appeals to me about law is the potentially high paycheck and the fact that it's more of a path than psychology. I've heard some
People say that taking psychology is interesting and useful, but a useless degree UNLESS you want to be a psychologist. I like psychology but really wouldn't want to BE a psychologist. Really stuck mentally tbh "/
I am in your exact position right now! Which one did you pick? Did you enjoy it and think it was the right one? Chances are you won’t see this it’s 2018 and this is from 2011! If you did I would be so grateful for some advice!
I’m in your positions now 4 years later… which did you go with??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending