The Student Room Group

I was just wondering if Biology at A-level is a hard subject?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michaelhaych
Yes, it is difficult.
The 3 Sciences and Maths are about a grade harder than other subjects (According to my Biology teacher anyway).
A-Level is a huge step up from GCSE and it will require a lot of extra work. Good grades won't be easy to get like at GCSE, it is far more difficult and you'll need to really know the course content inside-out.

However Biology is the easiest subject out of the 3 Sciences and Maths.

As long as you're willing to put enough work and revision in you should achieve good grades.

You'll also need to study Chemistry if you want to do Dentistry. And you'll need AAA at A-Level

Lol no.
Reply 21
Oh great..i'd be doing AQA biology..whats so hard about it?
Reply 22
No! It is fine, all you have to do is memorise a bunch of stuff, ensure you use the technical terms and then you should be fine. Biology is mainly about knowledge, as opposed to application of knowledge. Although there are a few questions about appliaction in exams (for most exam boards as far as I know). You cannot really prepare for these except for knowing the stuff really really well. Do this and you will be fine. :smile:
Biology at alevel is heavy
Reply 24
Original post by Heyx
Oh great..i'd be doing AQA biology..whats so hard about it?

Apparently AQA is hard so i would like to do OCR :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by Janni
Apparently AQA is hard so i would like to do OCR :tongue:

Yes, OCR is easy!
Reply 26
How's Edexcel for Biology?
as most people have said with biology a-level there is a lot to learn at once...personally i find it much easier if you actually enjoy the topic - i really enjoy human biology so found that part of the course easy, but i hated ecology and conservation stuff so i found it hard to understand and learn...if you are prepared to work for it there is no reason you can't get a decent grade :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Alimbo95
How's Edexcel for Biology?

I don't mind it, but you'll find that there are negatives with all exam boards and their syllabus.
The AS coursework is really easy, and if you work really hard you shouldn't struggle too much with the exams.
But you really have to work hard.
Seriously.
Reply 29
Original post by Shippy
I don't mind it, but you'll find that there are negatives with all exam boards and their syllabus.
The AS coursework is really easy, and if you work really hard you shouldn't struggle too much with the exams.
But you really have to work hard.
Seriously.

Ah cheers :smile:

Yeah, I guess Biology is going to be really hard, but I do have a passion for it and I'm willing to work my socks off for it.
Reply 30
Original post by Janni
Im thinking of doing Dentistry so Biology at A-level would be needed and the problem is that i am not very fond of Biology. I had found GCSE Biology hard but was impressed with the Extension work and think I did really good in it. So im just asking that within my position will A-level Biology be a tough subject to choose?
Many thanks

A level Biology is not difficult at all. I have just done my A levels and i achieved a grade B in it. However not everyone is the same, so it depends, but i wouldnt say it was difficult, you just need to work hard and gain some handy tips like, do loads of exam questions and know you know the stuff, if that makes sense lol :biggrin: Good luck
Reply 31
Original post by Alimbo95
Ah cheers :smile:

Yeah, I guess Biology is going to be really hard, but I do have a passion for it and I'm willing to work my socks off for it.

Haha i'm the same, i'm really passionate about biology but i'm not the best in my class at all, it was my passion that drove me though and I came out with an A at AS :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Shippy
Haha i'm the same, i'm really passionate about biology but i'm not the best in my class at all, it was my passion that drove me though and I came out with an A at AS :smile:

Ooh well done! :grin:

I suppose if you love a subject, you'd work harder for it.
Reply 33
Original post by Janni
Im thinking of doing Dentistry so Biology at A-level would be needed and the problem is that i am not very fond of Biology. I had found GCSE Biology hard but was impressed with the Extension work and think I did really good in it. So im just asking that within my position will A-level Biology be a tough subject to choose?
Many thanks

AS biology should be no problem...its like an extension of GCSE really :smile:
....But its when you hit A2 that it starts getting tricky :s-smilie:

My mate also did bio and was really passionate about it. Despite working hard she messed up her A2 year and therfore has missed her place to study biomedical science at uni :frown:
She said that she wished she'd done more practise questions as learning the content is easy but knowing how to answer the questions in the right way in order to score maximum marks is hard!

So yeah go for it and definately take bio...BUT keep doing practise questions at home and get them marked by teachers!
I did not do biology because I find it involves too much rote learning. Having seen the textbooks of those who did decide to take it, I am extremely glad I chose not to.

If you find it interesting, and are prepared to spend a great deal of time simply remembering definitions and whatnot, then you may not find it that hard.

The exams, I am told, are basically about learning the mark scheme and hitting the "key words". Even if what you write is correct, miss the key words and you'll not get the marks and do badly. Chemistry is somewhat similar in this respect, though slightly less so. Physics even less so.

I've seen the A2 book, and it looks like more of the same, especially that chunk about photosynthesis... ouch! :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 35
It is A LOT more difficult at GCSE...there's just so much of it.
Reply 36
I love biology it's my favourite subject, it's not hard in terms of understanding, it's just the amount you have to memorise is quiteee alot

Quick Reply

Latest