The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

How much money would you recommend someone to have before they go to a country like say Canada? (I really want to go there and maybe even emigrate there).

Need to research on how much it actually is to get there too and also what you need to do to be able to live there.
Original post by ily_em
The cost goes up the closer to the time it is so I guess those people subsidise the people with £1 seats :p:

That cat in your sig is so cute!! And the puppy soft toy looks incredibly soft and fluffy too!

P/S: Sorry but I couldn't resist making an off-topic comment. I'm a fan of cats. xD
hiya, i've never travelled alone before (i'm only 18) but I'm planning of booking http://www.xtremegapyear.co.uk/trip/spanish-and-sun-2-week-crash-course-spain-video-367 let me know if you've done it so I can decide if I should bother! and then I'd like to do interrailing but I'd only be able to do about 10-12 days because I need to come back to start university and I don't have much money. I'm wondering if it's worth getting a interrail pass for this length of time because I won't be able to use it much? I'll be in Malaga until the 18th of August so do you think it would be better to just get a train from there and just stay in one place for a few days? If you think I should still interrail, where are the best places to get to near Malaga?
Thanks for any help!
Heading off to Ireland on my own tomorrow night and arriving Ireland at around 7am on Saturday (coach and ferry).. eee! I only have 8 days to explore so I'm thinking of going to Cork, Galway and Dublin. Busy packing my backpack right now and getting super stressed, lol!

Haven't got any travel insurance yet, I want to get an annual policy.. any suggestions on which company to use? (I'm 21, female and just want Europe)
Original post by jameswhughes
I was very tempted to go on a trip on my own this summer, it's very hard to get my current friends to do anything, even getting them to leave North Yorkshire is incredibly difficult. :colonhash:

i'm exactly the same! don't know what it is about ppl from yorkshire. ended up going with someone from my old school who i didn't really know. maybe not the best idea looking back on it. but the travelling to amazing places meant i stuck it out! so worth it :smile:
Original post by beckypotter
hiya, i've never travelled alone before (i'm only 18) but I'm planning of booking http://www.xtremegapyear.co.uk/trip/spanish-and-sun-2-week-crash-course-spain-video-367 let me know if you've done it so I can decide if I should bother! and then I'd like to do interrailing but I'd only be able to do about 10-12 days because I need to come back to start university and I don't have much money. I'm wondering if it's worth getting a interrail pass for this length of time because I won't be able to use it much? I'll be in Malaga until the 18th of August so do you think it would be better to just get a train from there and just stay in one place for a few days? If you think I should still interrail, where are the best places to get to near Malaga?
Thanks for any help!

Heyy, I think going with a company as part of your trip is a good idea. I did the interrail part first for just over a month then i'm off to south africa in a couple of weeks with real gap.

My geographys super bad but if your near barcelona defo go there for a couple of days, and try to get to italy, the night trains are really good so you can save on accomadation that way and have more time in the places.

Places to defo go in italy:

-FLORENCE! (look up the secret bakeries- just message me for more details if you decide to go)

-VENICE! ( eventhough it is quite touristy, i fell in love with all the side streets off the main tourist attractions! just get lost, eat pastries and look at the architecture)

-LUCCA - gorgous walled town/city thing! quite cheap

Italy is a must see if you have enough time to get there it took me about 10 hours to get from madrid to milan then to florence but was so worth it!

I went to some other places like prague but dont know if you'd be able to get there in the amount of time you have. Try to spend a couple of days in each place maybe 3 days 2 nights i found that amount of time gave me enough to see the quick best bits and atmosphere. I went with a friend from school for the month but we ended up not really clicking so i spent most of my time by myself exploring the cities, cos he just wanted to find cafes and read. So it was kind of like travelling alone most of the time. But i'd say go for it!!! Definately!!!!!!!
Anybody ever done the Trans-Siberian express solo? Wondering if it's easy to meet people on it?
Do you guys always book hostels in advance or can you just turn up and usually get a bed?

I just can't fathom planning every single day in advance - if i get an interail pass I have no idea how long I'll want to stay in each place?

Can someone briefly sum up what bits of a trip they plan and which bits they improvise?
Original post by salad_fingers
Do you guys always book hostels in advance or can you just turn up and usually get a bed?

I just can't fathom planning every single day in advance - if i get an interail pass I have no idea how long I'll want to stay in each place?

Can someone briefly sum up what bits of a trip they plan and which bits they improvise?

I booked a hostel for my recent trip to Lisbon, but that was because there was a big festival going on at the time and I thought I'd better just book ahead in case places filled up.

When I went round the world I didn't bother booking in advance the majority of the time, and it was no problem at all. I did however do it when I knew a flight was going to arrive somewhere very late at night, or in the case of Santiago because I knew I'd have crossed the International Date Line and would probably be horrendously jetlagged.
Reply 169

Hi :smile:

When I travelled last year, I booked some hostels in advance just for peace of mind really. If you are arriving late at night you will obviously want to have some accom booked as you don't want to be traipsing around an unknown city late at night searching for a bed.

It also depends on when you go and what your budgets are. When I was away last July hostels were obv super busy so finding available/cheap rooms was harder. When I was away this Feb, pretty much all hostels were empty due to it obviously not being peak season so I could rock up and find a bed in no time.

If you're going during peak times like I did, I would suggest that you book a day or two in advance. For example when I was in Prague, I knew that I was due to arrive in Berlin in two days time, so I booked accom accordingly. And then when I decided to leave Berlin, I would then book accom for my next destination. This then gives you a rough plan but it also leaves you with flexibility to stay longer in places that you enjoy.
Reply 170
I went to Paris alone last year, and it was brilliant! I saw an old friend while there who was studying abroad, and the freedom of being able to explore everything I wanted to was amazing, rather than most of my friends who go abroad for suntans and beach days. Travelling alone makes me wary, but if I want to see all the things in the world that I want to, it's gonna have to be alone because dragging friends out of the country is such a hard task! And even when they do go, it's to a beach rather than a place of cultural value :frown: (why I HATED Ibiza last year). Hopefully making a trip to Rome and Barcelona in October, but wanting to go to Athens and Budapest also, so many things to see!
Reply 171
Original post by paandoraa
I went to Paris alone last year, and it was brilliant! I saw an old friend while there who was studying abroad, and the freedom of being able to explore everything I wanted to was amazing, rather than most of my friends who go abroad for suntans and beach days. Travelling alone makes me wary, but if I want to see all the things in the world that I want to, it's gonna have to be alone because dragging friends out of the country is such a hard task! And even when they do go, it's to a beach rather than a place of cultural value :frown: (why I HATED Ibiza last year). Hopefully making a trip to Rome and Barcelona in October, but wanting to go to Athens and Budapest also, so many things to see!

I totally agree: being a lonesome traveller is great as you don't have to compromise your plans. You get to see/do/explore whatever you want whenever you want!

Really recommend that you go to Budapest. I went there last summer and I loved it: friendly people, loads of things to see and do, lovely weather and everything was super cheap! Give me culture over beach holidays anyday!
Original post by .Scout.
Hi :smile:

When I travelled last year, I booked some hostels in advance just for peace of mind really. If you are arriving late at night you will obviously want to have some accom booked as you don't want to be traipsing around an unknown city late at night searching for a bed.

It also depends on when you go and what your budgets are. When I was away last July hostels were obv super busy so finding available/cheap rooms was harder. When I was away this Feb, pretty much all hostels were empty due to it obviously not being peak season so I could rock up and find a bed in no time.

If you're going during peak times like I did, I would suggest that you book a day or two in advance. For example when I was in Prague, I knew that I was due to arrive in Berlin in two days time, so I booked accom accordingly. And then when I decided to leave Berlin, I would then book accom for my next destination. This then gives you a rough plan but it also leaves you with flexibility to stay longer in places that you enjoy.

Thanks, can I ask how you found Prague?
Did you travel by train? If so, did you find it easy to get all your tickets not knowing the different languages?
Reply 173
Thanks, can I ask how you found Prague?
Did you travel by train? If so, did you find it easy to get all your tickets not knowing the different languages?

I liked Prague a lot, it's a great city but it certainly wasn't my favourite city on my trip. I was only there for 2 days but had a great time, there was plenty to see and do (Astronomical Clock, Castle, BEER...etc) and never felt bored. Wish I had stayed there for a bit longer tbh.

I had an interrail ticket so didn't need to really purchase any train tickets whilst I was out there. The only place I had to book anything was a reservation for my sleeper train from Berlin to Krakow and the language barrier wasn't an issue.

The only place where language was an issue was Slovakia, tbh.
I'm off to SE Asia alone this Summer, anyone travelling around there?
x
I am living in Bangkok. Just moved here for work :smile: so if your in bangkok let me know I'll pm you
Original post by lcsurfer
I am living in Bangkok. Just moved here for work :smile: so if your in bangkok let me know I'll pm you

Hi there :smile: I'll be there 26th July - 30th July, then again in mid-September, how are you finding it? x
I've finished my degree, and am now making preperations to be an English Teacher in China for 6 months - a year. For me this is an opportunity to travel, as well as earn some money (because there's no way I can afford the kind of gap year that COSTS lots of money).
What does everyone think?
Reply 178
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I've finished my degree, and am now making preperations to be an English Teacher in China for 6 months - a year. For me this is an opportunity to travel, as well as earn some money (because there's no way I can afford the kind of gap year that COSTS lots of money).
What does everyone think?

Ah that sounds amazing, I'd love to do something like that but I know I wouldn't have the confidence to go somewhere so far away without knowing the language. I would panic! :redface:

Are you going it alone or in a group?
Original post by .Scout.
Ah that sounds amazing, I'd love to do something like that but I know I wouldn't have the confidence to go somewhere so far away without knowing the language. I would panic! :redface:

Are you going it alone or in a group?

I'm going alone.
I am currently learning Mandarin, so that I'm not completely stuck when I get there. Of course, there's only so much you can learn in 6 months or so, but it's better than nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest