The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lamba
I wasn't really surprised by any of the questions because it is literally what they tell you in that email they sent. But I did glimpse they had which had 3 sections and mark out of 5 for each question I think with a space for a comment under each. Now if the other two station were the same that would be 15 x 3 = 45 possible marks for the interview bit and dunno how many marks for the group task.

However, I found this old feedback sheet for manc on the internet which had 120 x 3 and 40 in the group task (which is 3 times less any of the stations). So following that logic it would point to 5 points for the group task??? So making it a total of 50 points max.

But all of this, especially the bit about the group task is conjecture, since I only saw one form when the interviewer looked down at it while talking :colondollar:

That feedback sheet is quite a few years old and from before they introduced the group task. I was in the last year (or last but one) that had the old interviews - one 20 minute interview with a panel of 4 interviewers. Each interviewer gave you a mark out of 30 for each of sections 1-3 and a mark out of 10 for section 4. Then they were added up.

It seems very unlikey that the group task would make up such a small proportion of the total interview score...
I feel like I'm the only one without an interview now! Every time I see someone's added a comment to this thread it's about interview technique concerns...I just want to get a ruddy interview! :bawling:

Best of luck all!
Reply 582
Does anyone know if the interviewers have a copy of your references (as well as personal statement) with them?
Reply 583
Original post by theatrical
That feedback sheet is quite a few years old and from before they introduced the group task. I was in the last year (or last but one) that had the old interviews - one 20 minute interview with a panel of 4 interviewers. Each interviewer gave you a mark out of 30 for each of sections 1-3 and a mark out of 10 for section 4. Then they were added up.

It seems very unlikey that the group task would make up such a small proportion of the total interview score...

Yeah that makes sense maybe they allocated 15 marks to the group task making it a total of 60. Can't really see them allocating much more than that to the group task relative to the 3 interviews. :s-smilie: :confused:

How have you found manchester?

Original post by À la mode
I feel like I'm the only one without an interview now! Every time I see someone's added a comment to this thread it's about interview technique concerns...I just want to get a ruddy interview! :bawling:

Best of luck all!

Your time will come soon :biggrin:

Original post by rkate
Does anyone know if the interviewers have a copy of your references (as well as personal statement) with them?

AFAIK they have your personal statement and the station they ask you about it they will have made scribbles on it to direct the questions :biggrin: At least thats what happened for me :redface:
Reply 584
Interview on Monday! Little bit scared
Reply 585
Just try to relax when you get there! Also I strongly advice you to read up on current medical issues, e.g. NHS reforms, and also ethical problems such as jehova witnesses, HIV patients.. and you should be fine. All the best.
Reply 586
yay got an interview in Feb! just shows waiting pays off :smile:
I asked the university for feedback having received a rejection a couple of weeks ago. Got a letter today saying I achieved their academic standards and also non-academic however my UKCAT - a mixture of academic and non-academic skills - fell below the cut off. They are looking at applicants with a UKCAT of 2610 and above. :smile: thought it might be helpful to anyone still waiting.
After resigning myself to a Manchester-less fate, I received an email yesterday offering me an interview. 4/4 now, very happy
Original post by islanders
After resigning myself to a Manchester-less fate, I received an email yesterday offering me an interview. 4/4 now, very happy

Lucky you :smile:

I've got one from Barts and the London, still waiting on the rest.
Reply 590
Original post by islanders

wow thats fantastic, where did you apply? :smile: 2/4 so far for me..
Original post by rozca
wow thats fantastic, where did you apply? :smile: 2/4 so far for me..

Newcastle, Durham, HYMS & Manchester

Interviews are nice of course, but it's the ability to convert into offers. Longest 3/4 months of waiting ever!

Which have you got/waiting for?
Reply 592
Anyone else get an email for an interview in feb? No date specified, they said they would give more details shortly after the new year
Reply 593
Are the 3 mini interviews more like discussions or are do the interviewers ask a question, you answer and then you move on to the next question?
Reply 594
Hey, does anyone know how much weighting Manchester give to interviews?
And is everyone on a level playing field at interviews, or are better applicants already at an advantage?
Thank you (:
Oh and got an interview for the 8th of feb :biggrin:
Original post by Messi3
Hey, does anyone know how much weighting Manchester give to interviews?
And is everyone on a level playing field at interviews, or are better applicants already at an advantage?
Thank you (:
Oh and got an interview for the 8th of feb :biggrin:

Once you have an interview you're on the same level as everyone else with one. Offers are given out based solely on interview performance.
Reply 596
Original post by theatrical
Once you have an interview you're on the same level as everyone else with one. Offers are given out based solely on interview performance.

okay thanks, and i'm guessing it doesn't matter when you have your interview, for example someone who has their interview in Feb, has the same chance as someone who has theirs in Nov right?
Reply 597
Original post by Messi3
okay thanks, and i'm guessing it doesn't matter when you have your interview, for example someone who has their interview in Feb, has the same chance as someone who has theirs in Nov right?

I don't think that's quite the case since people who had their interviews in November-December will hear in January, but some remain on hold so there will be more to consider later on. But in theory, yes.
Just got an interview for manchester with foundation year for 1st feb!
Does anyone know what the interview: offer ratio is for manchester a104/6yr course?
When does Manchester stop giving out interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending