The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by MJHERBZ
I'd never rest my hopes on a cut-off being reduced. Also, a strong personal statement will not benefit you at all if you do not meet the UKCAT cut-off - the scoring of the personal statement and use of UKCAT are completely independant of each other (except you must meet the PS requirements for your UKCAT score to be taken into consideration).

Sorry, but it'd be a hell of a bargain to hope the cut-off falls :/ But I do completely agree about the hellish onscreen calculator.

Hi, what's this calculator you're talking about?
Reply 121
Original post by Panda89
Hi, what's this calculator you're talking about?

Last year when you sat the UKCAT you were provided a calculator, this year there was an on screen one which was infuriatingly difficult to use and resulted in wasting loads of time. I scored 720 on QR last year, which dropped to 660 this year. :angry:
Original post by MJHERBZ
Last year when you sat the UKCAT you were provided a calculator, this year there was an on screen one which was infuriatingly difficult to use and resulted in wasting loads of time. I scored 720 on QR last year, which dropped to 660 this year. :angry:

I did find the calculator difficult to use, if I wanted to click the same nember twice I had to pause for about a second. This made typing big numbers like 1000 very difficult.

HOWEVER my score improved from 650 to 700, so I can't complain!
Reply 123
Original post by MJHERBZ

Hahah I see, total misinterpretation by me - thought it was something to do with Manchester admission!

Yeah, the key was to actually practise using the keyboard right from the start when you were preparing for UKCAT, probably a lot of people didn't do, unfortunately. :/
Reply 124
Original post by Panda89
Hahah I see, total misinterpretation by me - thought it was something to do with Manchester admission!

Yeah, the key was to actually practise using the keyboard right from the start when you were preparing for UKCAT, probably a lot of people didn't do, unfortunately. :/

Yeah I was never aware that it had been changed, I thought it was just there for convenience in the practice tests. So I was thrilled to discover I was wrong as I sat my test...
Original post by Panda89

A lot of people were told specifically not to use the keyboard, as it can crash the test. Has happened to one or two people here.
Reply 126
Original post by Normandy114
A lot of people were told specifically not to use the keyboard, as it can crash the test. Has happened to one or two people here.

Oh, really? Didn't know that. The keyboard actually saved me, guess I was lucky. I did hear that some centres didn't allow the use of keyboards, though.
Original post by Panda89

Original post by Panda89
Oh, really? Didn't know that. The keyboard actually saved me, guess I was lucky. I did hear that some centres didn't allow the use of keyboards, though.

This is true. Where I did the test they specifically stated not to use the keyboard.
Original post by Normandy114

Yeah. Mine crashed! I was already so nervous and crap then I had to go and lose like 2 minutes of time on the QR section! >.<
Reply 129
Guys what do you think the cut-off is likely to be this year?
Reply 130
Original post by rozca
Guys what do you think the cut-off is likely to be this year?

Are you sure there is a cut-off. Look at this link, it seems to me (maybe only me) that Manchester are willing to give all UK applicants an interview for medicine. I saw it on UCAS, its near the top in the table provided. Check the link and get back to me please, as im really unsure.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/Q9MRjwe2Lwy-sSEruFyjJJRaTGCOE-Up6f/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=1098293#CSRA
Reply 131
Original post by Adam9
Are you sure there is a cut-off. Look at this link, it seems to me (maybe only me) that Manchester are willing to give all UK applicants an interview for medicine. I saw it on UCAS, its near the top in the table provided. Check the link and get back to me please, as im really unsure.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/Q9MRjwe2Lwy-sSEruFyjJJRaTGCOE-Up6f/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=1098293#CSRA

Believe me, there is definitely a cut off. This table is a just a brief summary and you should really have read the word doc on their site. By 'All UK applicants are interviewed' it means you must have an interview if you are to gain an offer. You really think they'll interview 2500+ candidates, even those offering predictions of CCC and a UKCAT avg of 580?
Reply 132
Original post by MJHERBZ
Believe me, there is definitely a cut off. This table is a just a brief summary and you should really have read the word doc on their site. By 'All UK applicants are interviewed' it means you must have an interview if you are to gain an offer. You really think they'll interview 2500+ candidates, even those offering predictions of CCC and a UKCAT avg of 580?

All i know is they said, and i quote: 'All UK applicants are interviewed.'

Its not impossible to interview 2500+ people, st. Georges have been doing it for the last few years.

Im not saying that they will interview everyone, but the quote above really is straight to the point. And on the website it said something about the admissions process from 2011... It may have changed this year. This year some med schools have changed their admissions requirements.
Original post by Adam9

Its not impossible to interview 2500+ people, st. Georges have been doing it for the last few years.

Im not saying that they will interview everyone, but the quote above really is straight to the point. And on the website it said something about the admissions process from 2011... It may have changed this year. This year some med schools have changed their admissions requirements.

I went to the open day last weekend and they said that out of just over 2000 applicants they interview around 900 (I think) and give offers to around 650 for 300 places. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong which I may well be!... But they definitely do not interview everyone.
Original post by Adam9

'All UK applicants are interviewed' means that you need an interview to get an offer.

They don't interview every single applicant - they interview ~800 of them.

The 2012 procedure is the same as that used for 2011 entry:

1)All applicants have their academics (not including UKCAT) assessed, those that meet the minimum requirements go to stage 2..
2) The PS and reference are scored. Those applicants scoring above the cut-off move to stage 3..
3) All applicants having made it to stage 3 are then ranked by their UKCAT score. The top 800 or so go to stage 4..
4)Interview.

Simple. So there is a cut-off for UKCAT.
Reply 135
Original post by Adam9

Actually St. Georges don't interview every single applicant, they impose some fairly strict entry requirements which vastly reduces the number of those who are interviewed.

And you probably should have given Manchester's site a thorough search and you would've discovered this very helpful document regarding the selection process for 2012 entry. It's at the left hand side of the page, titled: 'How do we deal with your application?'

http://www.medicine.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/medicine/coursedetails/index.aspx?year=2012&code=01428&pg=4

This is very clear and conclusive. Manchester use of UKCAT cut off. Not everyone is interviewed, you misinterpreted what you read on UCAS.
Reply 136
Just got the open day feedback form. Obviously I'm being very nice to them, just in case!
Reply 137
Original post by Adam9

No, definitely not every UK applicant is interviewed. What they meant is for anyone they like and may want to make an offer to, they will definitely interview first. What they could have also meant is all UK offer holders will have to have been interviewed whereas internationals may not need to be interviewed (due to travel costs etc)
Reply 138
Officially applied here - again!! Now the waiting game begins..
Reply 139
Hey guys, i have to have applied by 9:00 tomorrow morning (due to teachers bustin my balls)

But im not sure about something.

When i sat my AS Levels i had a B in chemistry at AS in june 2010.
I resat This and made it an A in june 2011

Overall at A2 I have a grade A in chemistry, achieved in june 2011.

UCAS wants me to enter AS Levels and A levels, and this is where my problem comes in.

I resat an AS level chemistry module, increasing it from an D to an A. (overall increasing AS grade from B to A)

When entering my A2 level chemistry result, I put the A in for this module, as i achieved this. Overall was an A.

For the AS part, if I put in my unit grades with the A (To make the overall be an A at AS), ill have to say i got my AS grade A in chemistry in june 2011, and it would seem that I did the full A-Level in one year (and i did it in 2 years)

What should i do, please help.............

I dont want to use my lower score and say i got a B overall because in all honesty i did better than thatand got an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending