The Student Room Group

I don't want to spend Eid day with my family

This is related to Islam so I'm hoping for replies from Muslims (and also non-Muslims).

Ramadan has been a terrible month for me. I booked work off for the past 3 weeks because I thought I would need the time off. But I've started to regret that now and, long story short, I'm turning bonkers. Praying 5 times a day/reading the Q'uran hasn't helped because I'm fuming with anger (from the arguments I have had with my family), whilst performing the prayers.

I don't want to go through all of the details, but my family have said some pretty insulting things to me throughout the course of the month, they can't seem to keep my name out of their mouth. At every given opportunity they take the piss out of me and say things like "I don't know how your friends at uni can stand you" (after I talked back). Whenever I try to call them out for it, they act oblivious (especially my older brother) and can't seem to understand what all the insults is doing to me.

I can't stand my family (at this moment in time), and I sure as hell do not want to spend Eid with them. I plan on signing up for a 12 hour shift on Tuesday/Wednesday.

I'm just wondering whether any other Muslims hate spending Eid with their families, too? It has lost it's meaning over the years for me.

I'm a girl by the way.
If they are being continuously annoying, then yes I would just ignore them. Missing Eid may cause more problems, but it could send out a message to them.

But honestly would it not be inflaming everything even more? Eid is a pretty big day for Muslims, and it may all build up into something bigger than it need be. You're angry with them, and I would be too, could you possibly talk to them individually and tell them to give you more space and how bad the month has been for you?

Anyway I hope it gets better for you.
All families can be annoying trust me I know! There's usually some sort of argument before Iftar at my house. That's just life though. I can understand you don't feel up to spending such a special day feeling miserable etc. I usually spend my morning/afternoon with my family and then go out in the evening with a bunch of friends. Maybe you could do this too that way your spending some time with your family and looking forward to spending some time with friends. Obviously only do what works for you. If your family annoy you too much honestly I've found keeping quiet the only thing that works and keeps me calm afterall arguing etc only causes more stress.
Original post by Anonymous
This is related to Islam so I'm hoping for replies from Muslims (and also non-Muslims).

Ramadan has been a terrible month for me. I booked work off for the past 3 weeks because I thought I would need the time off. But I've started to regret that now and, long story short, I'm turning bonkers. Praying 5 times a day/reading the Q'uran hasn't helped because I'm fuming with anger (from the arguments I have had with my family), whilst performing the prayers.

I don't want to go through all of the details, but my family have said some pretty insulting things to me throughout the course of the month, they can't seem to keep my name out of their mouth. At every given opportunity they take the piss out of me and say things like "I don't know how your friends at uni can stand you" (after I talked back). Whenever I try to call them out for it, they act oblivious (especially my older brother) and can't seem to understand what all the insults is doing to me.

I can't stand my family (at this moment in time), and I sure as hell do not want to spend Eid with them. I plan on signing up for a 12 hour shift on Tuesday/Wednesday.

I'm just wondering whether any other Muslims hate spending Eid with their families, too? It has lost it's meaning over the years for me.

I'm a girl by the way.

yes me me. I have the same problem with my family as well. they are always taking the piss and laughing at me. making silly jokes and insulting me in front of everyone. I hate spending even little bit time with them, I am so happy ramadan is coming to an end next week. I dont have to sit them and do iftar. It has also lost its meaning over the years for me. I dont care about anyting anymore. I just do what I want to do.

Go to work if you can. I wish I could too.
Reply 4

I'm a girl by the way.

Understandable I know exactly how you feel, families do get really annoying at times however Eid is just one day and I'm sure no one will argue during the day everyone will be too busy eating cooking getting dressed and with family, so just take part in the day you might feel better also it will saves arguments. At times like these we are tested and we just have to be really patient.. I know you feel like you can't stand them at the moment but the feeling will go away and on eid you'll be working when you could be relaxing chilling and eating :P so I say just stick it out sister, may Allah make it easy for you :smile: x
Reply 5
Thanks all.

I'm doing a small shift at work and have made plans to meet with friends after that. So I won't get home until 5 or 6 o'clock woo hoo! They'll be out of the house by then too.

Had another confrontation today/cried over it...can't wait for this to be over. It's really disrupted my prayers/thoughts. I am so angst-filled. :angry: Bring on uni in 4 weeks!

I'm a girl by the way.

You say this as if praying 5 times a day only happens in ramadan?

Maybe there's a distance between you and your family? Ask yourself why these arguments are happening.

Remember that you will only have one father and one mother ever, they would always want the best for you.
Reply 7
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
You say this as if praying 5 times a day only happens in ramadan?

Maybe there's a distance between you and your family? Ask yourself why these arguments are happening.

Remember that you will only have one father and one mother ever, they would always want the best for you.

Yes, it is mainly during Ramadan that I pray regularly.

And it's not my parents who have been the cause of the arguments, it is mainly my siblings.

Obviously I have tried my best to stay calm/not wish bad things on them, but they never stop and think about what they're saying to/about me and I think that's where the problem lies...but what can you do. I guess Ramadan can sometimes bring out the worst in people. They've been bullying me all my life and I have put up with it, but it's only recently that I feel like I've had enough and I don't want to take anymore bull**** from them.
Reply 8
All families can be annoying trust me I know! There's usually some sort of argument before Iftar at my house. That's just life though. I can understand you don't feel up to spending such a special day feeling miserable etc. I usually spend my morning/afternoon with my family and then go out in the evening with a bunch of friends. Maybe you could do this too that way your spending some time with your family and looking forward to spending some time with friends. Obviously only do what works for you. If your family annoy you too much honestly I've found keeping quiet the only thing that works and keeps me calm afterall arguing etc only causes more stress.

Same here. Admittedly, it has sometimes been because of me refusing to 'let go' of one of the insults that was said to me earlier on in the day, so it's pretty tense when we're all sat around the table, getting ready to break our fast. I feel bad for feeling angry/bitter while I eat! I can't seem to let it go, though. Maybe I have just had enough and they should all step back and LISTEN to themselves for once. God.
Reply 9
Sounds an awful lot like the situation at my house (except only with my childish hormonal mom :/).
Reply 10
Don't you go round relatives houses during Eid? If you do that would make it easier unless they take the piss out of you too....
Reply 11
Original post by Tam_91
Don't you go round relatives houses during Eid? If you do that would make it easier unless they take the piss out of you too....

Yep. :redface:
I dont understand the root of the arguments? Why are they arguing with you? Is it just one of those things in every asian family where the siblings and parents all hate one member and keep taunting and bashing them for no apparent reason?

I know that during Ramadan one cause of arguments is that when someone who doesnt pray a lot outside of Ramadan gets bashed for reading and praying properly in Ramadan. I mean Ramadan is the month of great blessing and I cant understand why your family is making you feel so miserable that you do even want to spend eid with them. We have small arguments in the house too but I would never miss eid with my family cause I know id regret it later.

I will pray to Allah that he will help you and make this easier for you.
Reply 13
Yep. :redface:

Yep as in they take the piss/annoy you aswell?

And it's not my parents who have been the cause of the arguments, it is mainly my siblings.

Obviously I have tried my best to stay calm/not wish bad things on them, but they never stop and think about what they're saying to/about me and I think that's where the problem lies...but what can you do. I guess Ramadan can sometimes bring out the worst in people. They've been bullying me all my life and I have put up with it, but it's only recently that I feel like I've had enough and I don't want to take anymore bull**** from them.

That's a shame :frown:
I can definetly relate on the siblings aspect, hopefully you can patch things up and I hope the best for you :smile:

Shame you feel that way. You do realise though that Ramadhan is a spiritual cleansing and should bring out the best in people? It's sad that people don't realise Ramadhan isn't just about praying and when you can/can't eat. That period between Sehri and Iftar is also for not backbiting, getting jealous, getting angry or other negative emotions. Did you realise that perhaps this was a test of your strength in maintaining your calm and cool during those hours and that you failed?

To regain meaning again in this month, please look into the more chilled out side of Ramadhan that actually helps you get rid of character flaws and improve yourself as a person, not just for 4 weeks but long term.
Reply 16
Original post by the cake lady
Shame you feel that way. You do realise though that Ramadhan is a spiritual cleansing and should bring out the best in people? It's sad that people don't realise Ramadhan isn't just about praying and when you can/can't eat. That period between Sehri and Iftar is also for not backbiting, getting jealous, getting angry or other negative emotions. Did you realise that perhaps this was a test of your strength in maintaining your calm and cool during those hours and that you failed?

To regain meaning again in this month, please look into the more chilled out side of Ramadhan that actually helps you get rid of character flaws and improve yourself as a person, not just for 4 weeks but long term.

And here you are, judging me based on the content of a couple of posts and proclaiming that I "failed". :rolleyes:

Yes, I do understand that it's supposed to cleanse me. That's why I felt bad for being angry while performing my prayers. I also eat modestly.

Eid Mubarak all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending