The Student Room Group

Welsh Society

Scroll to see replies

Just a quick question; my university have scheduled a 'Introduction to learning Welsh' into everybody's Freshers Week timetable. Do you think it's worth going to it, and learning a bit of the language whilst I'm in Wales?

I like languages, but wasn't sure whether, being from England, there's any point in me learning some. So, what d'ya all think? :smile:
Reply 301
Original post by Aek-94
Just a quick question; my university have scheduled a 'Introduction to learning Welsh' into everybody's Freshers Week timetable. Do you think it's worth going to it, and learning a bit of the language whilst I'm in Wales?

I like languages, but wasn't sure whether, being from England, there's any point in me learning some. So, what d'ya all think? :smile:

If it interests you, yes. If it doesn't interest you whatsoever, I wouldn't go. It certainly won't be essential to live in Aber, it'll be an asset though. You can get by fine with just English. All Welsh-speakers will be functionally bilingual, but in my experience, some of them don't speak English too well when they speak and their accents can be quite strong.
Original post by Gales
Yup! I'm going to UCL, you? :smile:

South Bank :smile:
Original post by Gales
I don't think there should be Welsh and English language schools. I think we should have one completely bilingual system so we leave school speaking Welsh and English, and with a high proficiency in a foreign language. :smile:

Yeah I agree, you don't realise how much you want to be able to speak it until you're older!
I'm not Welsh (I'm Irish) but I'd just like to say I've met 9 Welsh people in my life and they've all been really friendly. ^.^
Oh and the language is cool so I'm learning a bit of it :smile:
Reply 305
Original post by aasvogel
I'm not Welsh (I'm Irish) but I'd just like to say I've met 9 Welsh people in my life and they've all been really friendly. ^.^
Oh and the language is cool so I'm learning a bit of it :smile:

Out of curiosity, why are you learning it? :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 306
Sheep sheep sheep
Original post by Gales
Out of curiosity, why are you learning it? :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'll be honest, I don't know the reason :P Erm, I've always wanted to learn a language by myself, I've contemplated German and Italian but Welsh seemed like somethig different and a bit of a challenge. Then I found some online lessons which I downloaded for free as an mp3. They are simple, half hour lessons and I take one a day (about what I learn in school for the languages I study.) At the minute I'm only hoping to be able to speak a good bit of it, due to the nature of the 'course' there is no reading/ writing involved so I can't pronounce words from reading them. :colondollar: After two lessons I've gone from knowing literally nothing to being able to make sentences, ask questions and answer questions. :smile:

N.B If the lessons interest anyone I can send a link.
Reply 308
I'll be honest, I don't know the reason :P Erm, I've always wanted to learn a language by myself, I've contemplated German and Italian but Welsh seemed like somethig different and a bit of a challenge. Then I found some online lessons which I downloaded for free as an mp3. They are simple, half hour lessons and I take one a day (about what I learn in school for the languages I study.) At the minute I'm only hoping to be able to speak a good bit of it, due to the nature of the 'course' there is no reading/ writing involved so I can't pronounce words from reading them. :colondollar: After two lessons I've gone from knowing literally nothing to being able to make sentences, ask questions and answer questions. :smile:

N.B If the lessons interest anyone I can send a link.

It's Say Something in Welsh isn't it? I've used it :tongue:
You learning North or South?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gales
It's Say Something in Welsh isn't it? I've used it :tongue:
You learning North or South?

Yes haha that's it! :biggrin:
I chose the South course purely because I prefer the accent :P
Reply 310
Yes haha that's it! :biggrin:
I chose the South course purely because I prefer the accent :P

I chose South too (purely because it's where I live). I noticed that in school they taught us a weird mix of both. Like 'eisiau' instead of 'moyn', but 'dwi'n instead of rwy'n'.
:confused:
Original post by Gales
I chose South too (purely because it's where I live). I noticed that in school they taught us a weird mix of both. Like 'eisiau' instead of 'moyn', but 'dwi'n instead of rwy'n'.
:confused:

Did you finish the course? Why did you use the lessons if you studied Welsh in school? :smile:
Reply 312
Did you finish the course? Why did you use the lessons if you studied Welsh in school? :smile:

Nah, I only did about three lessons. I wanted to go over my Welsh again since I haven't really spoken it for two years and I've forgotten most of it. :smile:
Original post by Gales
Nah, I only did about three lessons. I wanted to go over my Welsh again since I haven't really spoken it for two years and I've forgotten most of it. :smile:

I really hope I can continue to learn some each day, though it'll be hard trying to learn 4 foreign languages at once and I'll probably end up using some Welsh words instead of Irish ones :P
Reply 315
I found this: http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=402770

Thought it was interesting and someone here might want to see it :smile:

I was particularly intrigued by the idea of 'Three Wales'
http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=402770&section=2.1.2
Lol at all the troll posts about sheep
Please everyone watch all of this!! omgg

(edited 11 years ago)
So, I'm at uni in Aberystwyth now; and it's amazed me how such a small town can have such a great social life.

At the weekend I had to travel on the train down to Cardiff to get my MacBook fixed at the Apple Store (due to the Birmingham store being too busy). I have to say, I was surprised by how nice the city centre is - and loving shops like I do, I thought St Davids was amazing. :h:
Reply 319
Original post by Aek-94
So, I'm at uni in Aberystwyth now; and it's amazed me how such a small town can have such a great social life.

At the weekend I had to travel on the train down to Cardiff to get my MacBook fixed at the Apple Store (due to the Birmingham store being too busy). I have to say, I was surprised by how nice the city centre is - and loving shops like I do, I thought St Davids was amazing. :h:

I really like Cardiff, although it's nothing compared to London :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest