The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

If you truly believe you're going to get bombed, then don't bother - you can't be very open-minded, or tolerant, or something.

I'd decide according to course, personally. Then city vs campus. Then costs.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Surely where I live is more important than all those factors?
Reply 22
Oh for goodness's sake. Sense of humour failure!

I don't go to London v often, I don't have any experience of the place and I was hoping that someone would be able to shed some bloody light on what the place is like, what the city is like, what life is like there, whether anyone has come from a smaller place and moved there etc. Gosh, use your initiative!

If everyone is as unhelpful as you, God. Help them bloody all.

(Thank Ben, you've been helpful)
Reply 23
no offence but there are like a million other threads in the kings sub-forum outlining exactly what you want to know about kings
Reply 24
Well hey, I'd thought I'd add another. Free country.
Okay, I come from the Isle of Man, a tiny island in the middle of the Irish sea which most people below Liverpool have never heard of. I had been to London twice before, for three days in total. I really enjoy living in London, but then I'm one of those people who feels at home anywhere.

London is very diverse; I don't think you could describe what it's like as a whole. Different areas are different; some will be for you, some won't. You're almost guarranteed to find something that you like, though - this is the advantage of a city. It's at the centre of most things, be it music, fashion, art, cinema, I don't know...sport, whatever you like.

Like in any place, life here is what you make it. It can be quite expensive, particularly accommodation-wise, but I find food etc fairly cheap (my government is evil and makes us buy expensive local produce). If you don't like noise, never being able to escape from people, crowds, traffic, then maybe it wouldn't be for you here.

I really do think overall however that you should choose according to course. Birmingham is an amazing place, and I'd have been tempted to go there if they hadn't decided not to offer German and Modern Greek that year. The main difference I think between here and other universities is that it isn't so much student-orientated - you feel a bit more part of the real world. In a way, though, this can be quite unwelcoming for some people. But then, everything in life is what you make of it.

--------------

cheesecakebobby
Surely where I live is more important than all those factors?

OBV!
manchester or kcl??

i wanna know where the better teaching facilities are at, and the diff of cost

and ofcourse, the cricket opportunities...

thnx people

and since im in jeddah, saudi arabia...i really can't sell u kings except that kcl is better known in the middle east than any of your other choices
awaismisri_ksa
manchester or kcl??

i wanna know where the better teaching facilities are at, and the diff of cost

and ofcourse, the cricket opportunities...

thnx people

and since im in jeddah, saudi arabia...i really can't sell u kings except that kcl is better known in the middle east than any of your other choices

For which subject?

Manchester is a lot cheaper. Not sure on exact costs. I have a friend there doing Middle Eastern history, and he was telling me how he can get so much better accommodation there than he would have been able to here had he got into war studies. Think he said £70 a week for an en-suite room, but I can't remember if it was catered or not. Another friend is there doing Psychology, and she is catered, accommodation sounds alright (although it's apparently being demolished soon...) for something like £50-60 a week. I think accommodation and transport is the main different between London and other places.

Cricket - well, the UoL has loads of sports stuff on the go, although I can't be anymore specific as I'd probably die if I had to run around in shorts.

So yeah, fairly pointless post. Hope it helped a little...
Reply 28
relax a bit guys she was just asking for your advice. I've got an interveiw coming up soon and i'm curious about what the uni is going to be like but i have to say no one has to sell me london. I love the place. I don't know how you can possibly be unsure, people either love it or hate it, i come from coventry (right next to bham) and i would love to get an offer from KCL largely due to the fondness i have for london. I think you have to ask yourself some questions if you're still unsure about the city...
Reply 29
ive got lots of disjointed comments to make about all of this so here goes...

1. our halls are pretty nice as long as you own your own fan heater.

2. although we're in central london we still have loads of fantastic student events, such as rag... and our freshers week is second to none. On top of that, on a daily basis there are a who string of clubs which have different nights that are 90% student... (ie. strawberry moons on monday, cafe de paris on tuesday...) which we all manage to get free entry too.

3. i find london cheap and amazing... restaurants compete for custom, so you can get a 2 course mean with wine in leceister square for less than £15... and there are so many offers on theatre, ballet and musicals, which people at other unis would never get the chance to see and experience.

4. dont be scared about moving to london as a uni student, its the easiest way to break yourself in, because you have your cosy uni environment to fall back into when the big bad city seems loney and daunting (which imo is never, but you never know...)
Reply 30
Magali
ive got lots of disjointed comments to make about all of this so here goes...

1. our halls are pretty nice as long as you own your own fan heater.

2. although we're in central london we still have loads of fantastic student events, such as rag... and our freshers week is second to none. On top of that, on a daily basis there are a who string of clubs which have different nights that are 90% student... (ie. strawberry moons on monday, cafe de paris on tuesday...) which we all manage to get free entry too.

3. i find london cheap and amazing... restaurants compete for custom, so you can get a 2 course mean with wine in leceister square for less than £15... and there are so many offers on theatre, ballet and musicals, which people at other unis would never get the chance to see and experience.

4. dont be scared about moving to london as a uni student, its the easiest way to break yourself in, because you have your cosy uni environment to fall back into when the big bad city seems loney and daunting (which imo is never, but you never know...)

Thankyou, SO much. That's the most helpful post by far.

Is the accommodation rather ming? I've been looking on the website and obviously you can't get a whole picture. I was thinking about inter-collegiate or would I be better in KCL halls?

KCl...Bham....Kcl...Bham
Most halls won't allow fan heaters because they are a fire hazard :wink: Halls all around the country are equally minging...

Those free nights, are not always free in - usually not. And even then, only for women...

London? Cheap? :confused: Much as I love the place and have explored almost everywhere in it... it is not cheap. Not as cheap as elsewhere in the UK - but there is plenty of choice and plenty of top notch stuff.
Reply 32
they dont know about the fan heaters... problem solved!
tee hee hee... (well its that or freeze)

i totally would stand by my cheap comment if you know where to go... i pay a fortune for stuff where i come from in a little town in the middle of knowhere, but in london i find so many bargains!

personally id choose kcl accom because ive looked around all the halls and i live in great dover st, and we're not too bad, and neither are the other halls, in fact as uni accom goes its expensive, but its nice...

as you're doing geog you'd be at the strand campus, which is alot closer to some of the intercollegiate halls, but also very close to stamford st. Even if you were in other accomodation as long as you can get to temple tube station or charing cross mainline you're sorted travel wise.
Magali

i totally would stand by my cheap comment if you know where to go... i pay a fortune for stuff where i come from in a little town in the middle of knowhere, but in london i find so many bargains!

Depends what you're getting... your fixed costs in London are high. Rent, transport etc.

Food and other variable expenditure is pretty diverse - but I reckon for 'staple' goods. You're better off out of London. For rarer items, London may well be cheaper because there is competition.
Reply 34
If I went then I think I'd want to go into the intercolligiate, purely because they're mostly catered, plus there's access to tennis courts which is always a perk! :redface: Is there a massive rivalry or does everyone all get on pretty well. Are they all close to KCL in terms of travelling distance?

Is anyone in/around/know anything about Nutford House?
Lady_Muck
If I went then I think I'd want to go into the intercolligiate, purely because they're mostly catered, plus there's access to tennis courts which is always a perk! :redface: Is there a massive rivalry or does everyone all get on pretty well. Are they all close to KCL in terms of travelling distance?

Everyone gets on with everyone really... it's more down to you rather than your university. Not all of the intercolls are close to Kings. You'll have to check each one individually...

Nutford House is quite a long way from Kings - loads of great kebab places nearby though :cool:
Reply 36
Lady_Muck
I am SO confused right now.
But...As a London hater (you get bombed there) - sell me KCL. Why should I come here? Be constructive. What does Kings have over my other uni's?

I just want to point out that is really insensitive. You hate London because it got bombed? It comes across really naive and offensive, espeacially since I know someone who was involved in the July 7th bombings.
Lady_Muck

Come to International Hall, not that it is amazing but it is the best by far :wink:
Reply 38
i def. gona put kings down as ma 1st choice..just wondering ..what halls are the best???are the intercollegiate 1s any good?

im applying for physio. so da lectures will be at Guys campus! Are there halls near there that are good?

any info will be useful =) thanks
x
Reply 39
great dover st apartments, which are like a 7 min walk from guys are pretty nice as long as you dont mind cooking your own food... and its seething with physios... apparently you lot get farmed off to tommies alot too, which is pretty easy from guys as you can just get the free bus.

Latest