The Student Room Group

Sociology applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I'll be doing sociology joint with politics! :biggrin: My choices are in my sig, but I'm really liking Sheffield :smile: I haven't done sociology a-level, but it sounds fascinating :')
Reply 21
Phew, finally found a Sociology applicants thread - seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry on this forum is applying to Medicine or Law!
Anyway ...
So in my AS levels I got AABD in Sociology, History, English Language and Biology respectively (Biology and I have since parted ways, turns out homeostasis and respiratory systems just don't do it for me).
I've applied for L300 Sociology at:

University of Bristol

University of York

Loughborough University

Aston University

Northumbria University

I quite fancy my chances of at least getting three or four offers, although I haven't a clue which I will firm. I'd like to put Northumbria as my insurance, because I reckon i'll meet their entry requirements come next August and I love Newcastle! Other than that, i'm pretty clueless. I'll keep this thread updated on any offers I get (fingers crossed I get them now, or i'll just sound like an arrogant arse).
Anybody else applying to study Sociology at the above ^ unis? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bethyrose
Phew, finally found a Sociology applicants thread - seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry on this forum is applying to Medicine or Law!

I thought the exact same thing too! I'm applying to do Sociology at university and I can't wait so I can become a Sociology Teacher :biggrin:. Right now I'm doing AQA Sociology and my first unit is Religion (I'm finding it kind of dull right now)
Reply 23
Look at all these Sociologists!! Its a awsome subject!
Sociology is a great subject. Loving it at uni so far, lots of work and reading!
Reply 25
Which uni are you at?
Reply 26
Anyway ...
So in my AS levels I got AABD in Sociology, History, English Language and Biology respectively (Biology and I have since parted ways, turns out homeostasis and respiratory systems just don't do it for me).
I've applied for L300 Sociology at:

University of Bristol

University of York

Loughborough University

Aston University

Northumbria University

I quite fancy my chances of at least getting three or four offers, although I haven't a clue which I will firm. I'd like to put Northumbria as my insurance, because I reckon i'll meet their entry requirements come next August and I love Newcastle! Other than that, i'm pretty clueless. I'll keep this thread updated on any offers I get (fingers crossed I get them now, or i'll just sound like an arrogant arse).
Anybody else applying to study Sociology at the above ^ unis? :smile:

I have applied to York :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by kkate1212
I have applied to York :smile:

Where else have you applied? Did you go look round York? I loved the enthusiasm the Sociology lecturer's had :smile:
Reply 28
Where else have you applied? Did you go look round York? I loved the enthusiasm the Sociology lecturer's had :smile:

Yeah I went to York on an open day, it is such a lovely place. I have applied to Lancaster, Manchester, Salford and Man Met.. as well as York. Loved Lancaster, Manchester and York. And couldn't choose between Salford and Man Met for an insurance. I have an offer from Manchester:smile: What are your predicted grades? The standard offer for Sociology is really good at most universities isn't it :smile:
Reply 29
AAA, you?
I've got offers from Northumbria (which is going to be my insurance), Loughborough and Bristol.
I'll either firm Bristol or York (fingers crossed York give me an offer first!)
My highest entry requirements are AAB for Bristol, which I think is pretty fair :smile:
When did you go look around York? I went on Oct 1st, it was strangely warm & I just fell in love with it.
Reply 30
AAA, you?
I've got offers from Northumbria (which is going to be my insurance), Loughborough and Bristol.
I'll either firm Bristol or York (fingers crossed York give me an offer first!)
My highest entry requirements are AAB for Bristol, which I think is pretty fair :smile:
When did you go look around York? I went on Oct 1st, it was strangely warm & I just fell in love with it.

A*AA, I only have 1 offer up to now but I only sent my UCAS on 7th November so I'm happy to have one up to now haha :smile:. I really can't decide where to firm. I loved Manchester, York and Lancaster, will have to see if I get all 3 offers I guess. I went to the same open day. It was my first visit to York and I loved it. I'm slightly worried that my GCSE's are going to let me down in my application for York because they are really bad.
I have an unconditional offer for Social Policy and Sociology at the University of Sheffield for September 2012 :smile: Glad to see some other sociologists on this site!
Reply 32
Original post by w-shaw

I love this thread - no-one else at my school's applying to do sociology, so it feels a little bit lonely when all of the medics/lawyers/economists/etc congregate to talk about their subject. :P
Reply 33
Original post by w-shaw
I have an unconditional offer for Social Policy and Sociology at the University of Sheffield for September 2012 :smile: Glad to see some other sociologists on this site!

Well done! I'm hoping to study that too :smile:
i am applying to lse, warwick, surrey, sussex and exeter, really want to apply to york, but their program seems strange....why is it education in sociology or something....
Reply 35
Original post by needhelp1234

i am applying to lse, warwick, surrey, sussex and exeter, really want to apply to york, but their program seems strange....why is it education in sociology or something....

I've applied to LSE, Surrey & Exeter too! Although my backups are Westminster & Oxford Brookes ^^
Reply 36
Good to see lots of other applicants! :smile:

I've already got 4 of my offers! As for now I'm just waitng for LSE cause apparently they don't really reply till like March T_T''''

UCAS 2012

Spoiler

BTW have you guys seen the new University guide 2012 for the best uni's for Sociology??? http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-sociology

Cheers ^^
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Has anyone applied to Nottingham for Sociology? Had an offer? Ive had an acknowledgement a week ago.
Reply 38

I've applied to LSE and Warwick too :smile: got my offer from Warwick so you should hear something soon!

Original post by myka551
I've applied to LSE, Surrey & Exeter too! Although my backups are Westminster & Oxford Brookes ^^

Hello, fellow LSE applicant :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by kkate1212
I'm slightly worried that my GCSE's are going to let me down in my application for York because they are really bad.

Don't worry, my GCSE results were not so great as well and Exeter + Surrey replied to me within a week of receiving my application! You'll be fine :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending