The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

I've just received my GCSE results and now have to decide what subjects to take for AS. What I first had in mind was Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Music as I felt that the sciences would leave me open to medicine as well as many other degrees such as chemical engineering, biochemistry etc., English lit is probably my strongest and most enjoyable subject, which could take me into journalism and I find music to be a bit of a passion so felt I would really enjoy that as an option, as well as providing good variety to my other choices.

I've been told that this is a good mix of arts and sciences that would leave a lot of career paths open, but, this was all decided before results after receiving an unexpected A* in maths (of which I was predicted a C) and that then left me the option of considering maths, which I never considered before as I didn't think I could cope with A Level, and consequentially never considered physics as I felt maths was a near must to take with it.

Now I must finally decide and am in a bit of a dilemma in whether to drop anything in place of maths and/or physics, possibly even both. I am pretty certain on chemistry, but as I am not entirely set on a music related degree would it be wise to replace it with maths or physics that could leave me open to astronomy, astronautical engineering, artificial intelligence and computer science etc. as well as a host of other maths related degrees. I could even drop English lit, though I'm not too keen on this, or biology although this would likely eliminate the idea of medicine. One of my teachers also stated that I could take maths as a summer or night class in college if I wanted to so this may be a good idea.

Any help appreciated and here are my GCSEs if they would affect anything :smile:

Core Science - A*
Additional Science - A*
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A*
Maths - A*
French - A
Geography - A
Music - A
I.C.T Graphics - Credit
I.C.T Digital Apps - Credit
R.S - B
P.E - C
Welsh 2nd Language - C
Sport - 2 x Pass
English Lit and Maths are both strong, tradtional A Levels and you did well at them in GCSE so it seems worth carrying them on. Its always good to have an essay subject so English covers that and Maths is a useful component for lots of career paths, mainly science related.
Reply 2
Thanks for the help :smile: Carrying on maths is now becoming more tempting while taking some sort of music related course at college part time
Original post by BAXX
Thanks for the help :smile: Carrying on maths is now becoming more tempting while taking some sort of music related course at college part time

Seems like a great idea :biggrin:
Well congrats on your GCSE results and the options you have chosen are very strong. Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Maths are four highly respected subjects which will leave a lots of doors open and be highly valued in an career plus you have a great variation.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone, all plus repped :biggrin: Hopefully I'll cope with all of them now and not find them as dull or difficult as I hear

Quick Reply

Latest