The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliluvschoc
Inside knowledge, it seems the current VP Ed is leaning towards Vid. No education-ish experience as such, but a mega labour supporter... no surprises there!

I guess you are probably right that I ought to leave their politics out of it, I don't see how them being Labour supporters has much impact, even if I am 'on the other side.' It's not so much their political opinion or experience I care about; more the way he specifically referenced it as a reason to vote for him. I know it's irrational :tongue:

I think I will look into these zones, sounds like a good thing to be involved with :smile:
Perhaps more ought to be done to raise awareness of these Zones; it's something that has been in the background since I've been here, I imagine it's the same for a good deal of people who may have ideas.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Oh I get you ha. Yeah I've not looked at anyone really apart from the VP Education/ President sabbs.

She's the only one I've read. Though now I've seen Colum's re-running I'm a bit stuck for choice. He's done a very good job this year.

I really need to have a read of these very soon.
I'll be looking to re-elect Tom and Colum :h: Yet to properly read the manifestos for the other roles yet. :moon:
Without having given Welfare much thought, at this stage I think I'll probably vote for Colum, i've looked at his blog and what he has done; I'm pretty impressed :smile:
Original post by AlexInWonderland
Without having given Welfare much thought, at this stage I think I'll probably vote for Colum, i've looked at his blog and what he has done; I'm pretty impressed :smile:

He was really good during housing week :smile:
Reply 585
Inside knowledge, it seems the current VP Ed is leaning towards Vid. No education-ish experience as such, but a mega labour supporter... no surprises there!

What I've heard backs this up :yep: I'm yoyo-ing between Alex and Vid, I've heard more about Alex in the past, and his good track record is really reassuring. Vid on the other hand seems to address a lot of issues that I've found have affected people I know, and if he can deliver his promises he would be really amazing :laugh: both seem to be really solid choices, I can imagine it'll be close

A lot of people are questioning whether Lisa's a joke entry :erm: whilst I wouldn't go as far as to say that I think her inexperience really shows, and she'd probably struggle with the role, even if her intentions might be good :yep:
Reply 586
Original post by skipp
What I've heard backs this up :yep: I'm yoyo-ing between Alex and Vid, I've heard more about Alex in the past, and his good track record is really reassuring. Vid on the other hand seems to address a lot of issues that I've found have affected people I know, and if he can deliver his promises he would be really amazing :laugh: both seem to be really solid choices, I can imagine it'll be close

A lot of people are questioning whether Lisa's a joke entry :erm: whilst I wouldn't go as far as to say that I think her inexperience really shows, and she'd probably struggle with the role, even if her intentions might be good :yep:

Most of the things in Vid's youtube manifesto are issues raised and passed by the Education Zone. If he had attended them, he would have known this. Way to go about promising anything new!

I feel the same about Lisa, but it certainly seems a half-hearted attempt.
Reply 587
Most of the things in Vid's youtube manifesto are issues raised and passed by the Education Zone. If he had attended them, he would have known this. Way to go about promising anything new!

I feel the same about Lisa, but it certainly seems a half-hearted attempt.

Didn't actually see his youtube one, but been following him on facebook and guess it's probably similar, good to know :laugh:

Going to vote now methinks :ninja:

-------------------------------

Also for those still making up their minds lots of the candidates have made video manifestos which you can find on youtube, just been watching sara's (activities) :cute: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8m3wV9Qo84
(edited 12 years ago)
Being woken up at 10.30 this morning by canvassers for one of the Activities candidates did not at all impress me. It was a major effort for my hungover self not to tell them to 'go away'.
Just read Lisa's manifesto. LOL!

Also, can't read Vid's manifesto. Can't access it, not looking for it. Simples.
Reply 591
Original post by Loz17
Just read Lisa's manifesto. LOL!

Also, can't read Vid's manifesto. Can't access it, not looking for it. Simples.

A lot of the things he promises are already being worked on by us in the Education Zone with Lauren Crowley. It really annoys me, yet I can't blame people for not knowing that. You could blame him though.

We should keep Lisa's manifesto for years to come, for an example of what is and isn't acceptable.
A lot of the things he promises are already being worked on by us in the Education Zone with Lauren Crowley. It really annoys me, yet I can't blame people for not knowing that. You could blame him though.

We should keep Lisa's manifesto for years to come, for an example of what is and isn't acceptable.

As far as I'm concerned if he can't be bothered to make his manifesto easy to access, he can't be bothered to make changes. I can imagine that being annoying too; using majority ignorance to take credit for other peoples work.

Yes you should keep it. Contact whoever the union president will be next week and let them know!

The link for Lisa isn't working for me :frown:
Mind copy and pasting or something? Cheers :smile:
The link for Lisa isn't working for me :frown:
Mind copy and pasting or something? Cheers :smile:

Bit strange. Works for me. Reposted: https://www.facebook.com/notes/l%C3%A9o-wilkinson/why-campaigning-for-no-more-900am-lectures-is-preposterous-and-is-an-embarrassme/331975133505982
Reply 595
That's Odd. Cheers Loz hopefully that one will work.

The Guy who posted it, Leo Wilkinson, is the Social Sciences Faculty Rep by the way. He comes to the Ed Zone too.

That's Odd. Cheers Loz hopefully that one will work.

The Guy who posted it, Leo Wilkinson, is the Social Sciences Faculty Rep by the way. He comes to the Ed Zone too.

I really don't understand why it isn't letting me see it! Maybe you have to be FB friends?
I tried finding his profile on FB, and finding the page that way, but I can't see his 'notes'...
maybe I'm just being incredibly stupid lol
Reply 597
I really don't understand why it isn't letting me see it! Maybe you have to be FB friends?
I tried finding his profile on FB, and finding the page that way, but I can't see his 'notes'...
maybe I'm just being incredibly stupid lol

Why campaigning for no more 9.00am lectures is preposterous, and is an embarrassment to Student Representation at the University
by Léo Wilkinson on Sunday, 26 February 2012 at 00:05 ·
As you know, the Kent Union elections period has started, which includes the Kent Union Vice-President Education sabbatical position. There are 3 candidates running to take over from Lauren Crowley –namely Lisa Ashworth, Vid Calovski and Alex Murray.

Lisa Ashworth, a final year student unknown to anyone involved in student representation or Kent Union, has made “no more 9am lectures” one of her key manifesto promises and a huge campaigning point. Not only is this unachievable, but this will hinder students in the long run and also weaken the credibility of student representation at Kent.

It is hard enough already to find adequate teaching rooms for all the students, let alone if 2nd and 3rd years do not have classes at 9.00am any more! It is difficult enough to get Timetabling to clear Wednesdays of classes for all students at Kent, and this would now make it simply impossible.
Besides, what sort of message does this give to employers about Kent graduates? What type of preparation to the work environment does this provide to University of Kent students?
Imagine if the future Vice-President Education, claiming to be representing student’s interests was pushing for this in a senior University meeting. They would laugh, and not take the VP Education seriously for the rest of the year. She would be an embarrassment to the rest of the fantastic and vibrant student representation which we have on campus –which she would have to be leading as VP Education.

This week, make sure you vote for candidates who have credible and trustworthy manifestos, and not for someone who is including such a pledge purely to get naive students’ votes.
These Kent Union sabbatical elections are serious. Some candidates aren’t. Please share this note around, so that students do not vote by mistake for someone who has no idea what they talking/campaigning about, and or what the consequences of such pledges would be.

Regardless of Lisa Ashworth’s other manifesto points, I urge you all not to vote for her purely because of this ludicrous populist proposal.

For the sake of current and future students at the University of Kent, as well as the VP Education sabbatical role, please vote for Alex Murray or Vid Calovski.

Thank you.

I didn't realise timetabling caused so many problems. I suppose it always was a ridiculous policy, nevermind that her other election pledges are hardly substantial.
Reply 599
Robin Mydlak: (Reply to that post) Ties in with a lot of what's being said. I went through the manifestos yesterday, and as someone very much involved with the Union, I find half the points advocated by lots of candidates are either already policy and therefore "just doing the job" (like most of what Vid proposes on that point), are completely infeasible due to regulations and resources, empty phrases (cut queues at Venue etc.) or demonstrate an utter lack of understanding of how the Union or the University works. So, well, that was my rant, thank you very much. As you were

Haha, another person backing what I've said about Vid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending