The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham's Veggie Options

Was just wondering, ahead of my arrival in the city in September, does Nottingham have any/many/good vegan or vegetarian options in and around the city? I know that having a meat in its very name is ominous for me and other like-minded sods but i thought i'd ask anyway - on the off-chance.

Don't worry, I shan't be marching the streets dressed as a lentil pestering you, nor will i be petitioning for the city to change its name to Nottingtofu, I'm not one of them lot.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and will be welcomed with a yelp of gratitude - I'm in N.I so you'll have to listen closely to hear it.
Reply 1
There's Alley Cafe, located just off the Market Square. I'm not vegetarian myself, but I love the food from there, although it tends to be a little more expensive than I like. There's also the Crocus Cafe in Lenton, which is non-profit and looks rather down-market, but the food pretty good.

You might want to check out http://www.vegan-nottingham.co.uk/ for other suggestions: these are just two I've tried.

Oh, and the "ham" in the name comes from Old English for homestead: no pigs were harmed in the city's naming.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I'm not sure on dedicated vegetarian/vegan restaurants but as a veggie myself, here's what I've found:

Funnily enough at Nando's you either have chicken or a vegetarian option, and there's a few Nando's dotted around (One in the Corner House and one on Angel Row).

Pit & Pendulum do an absolutely amazing veggie club sandwich, and at about £4 with chips it's well...cheap as chips :wink:

There's lots of Indians dotted around so vegan and vegetarian options.

To be honest, there's so many restaurants/take outs in Nottingham you will not be stuck for options :smile:
Reply 3
I'm a vegetarian, I've never been to a vegetarian restaurant in notts but I have never had a problem with the vegetarian options in restaurants there, there's plenty to pick from!
Reply 4
I'm a fellow vegetarian going to Notts and I absolutely love your post. Nottingtofu? Brilliant. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to afford to eat out but I'll keep watch for those times when I want a treat. I did just buy the most amazing vegetarian cookbook designed especially for students. It does wonders.

And - there's a vegan/vegetarian society. :biggrin:
Original post by ambition-X
I'm a fellow vegetarian going to Notts and I absolutely love your post. Nottingtofu? Brilliant. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to afford to eat out but I'll keep watch for those times when I want a treat. I did just buy the most amazing vegetarian cookbook designed especially for students. It does wonders.

And - there's a vegan/vegetarian society. :biggrin:

One of my friends kindly bought me this veggie cookbook http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Student-Cookbook-Hamlyn-Cookery/dp/0600612414/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IRS2HIVYJUJ28&colid=2WGO90ZADE89U

Although I am a bit insulted it tells you how to fry an egg :P
yeah, many of the pubs have veggie options.
Reply 7
I know halls in the UoN have a vegetarian option.
Reply 8
Original post by Shutter_bug
One of my friends kindly bought me this veggie cookbook http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Student-Cookbook-Hamlyn-Cookery/dp/0600612414/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IRS2HIVYJUJ28&colid=2WGO90ZADE89U

Although I am a bit insulted it tells you how to fry an egg :P

This one looks amazing. I might have to buy it too! Ahh well you know, some people are going to uni having never poured themselves a bowl of cereal lol.
Original post by ambition-X
This one looks amazing. I might have to buy it too! Ahh well you know, some people are going to uni having never poured themselves a bowl of cereal lol.

I've not made anything from it yet but it does look to have interesting recipes like vegetable crisps, soup, lunch ideas (and stuff other than cheese/egg & cress sandwiches!).

It's also got recipes for hangover juices, cocktails and cakes!
You really really really should go to Annie's Burger Shack at the Navigation Inn (near the train station) they do amazing burgers and all can be veggie/vegan, so you can take any meat eating friends with you! They are sooooo good, and about a fiver.
Most restaurants in nottingham have at least a few veggie options. The cornerhouse has loads of restaurants in one place with menus outside so you'll definitely find something there. Wagamama has quite a few options.

I think someone already mentioned alley cafe and I've never eaten there but squeak is a vegetarian restaurant that's supposed to be really good even if it's not in a great area.

As long as you're not reeeally picky about what you eat then you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending