The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarky
Yes...I but you're missing my point. I'm a doctor, I studied medicine not nursing.

Is the only way you can become become a doctor by studying medicine? Surely there most be other ways. Is there?

P.S I do accounts & economics so have very little/no idea :hifro:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ...mo...
Is the only way you can become become a doctor by studying medicine?

Yes. The only way you can become a nurse is by studying nursing too.
Do you want to be a geography teacher?
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
Yes. The only way you can become a nurse is by studying nursing too.

So what you can you do with courses such as chemistry/biology and bio chemistry
Reply 784
Is the only way you can become become a doctor by studying medicine?

Well strictly speaking no, you could do a Phd. But you wouldn't be a medical doctor...
Reply 785

Are you actually being serious?
Reply 786
General response is a fake 'oooh thats interesting' when clearly economics is boring. Or people who don't understand economics at all assume you'll know how to make lots of money, thats more annoying

You can do research, work for companies that do all different types of things like making medical devices too ones that produce pharmaceuticals. You can also enter analytical and quality science careers, But if you want to do anything vocational like medicine, nursing, physiotherapy etc you will need to do a further degree.
Original post by Bobbler
Are you actually being serious?

:sadnod: ???
Original post by ajp100688
...Oh so you're going to be a politician?

Because everyone who does a degree in History and Politics becomes a politician.

No, a few of them do. The rest are unemployed.

Engineering, the look on their face is always the same, in that split second the look at their own lives and start to get depressed a little, sometimes it's surprise though mostly the skim over their own situation and depression then some made up reply they fart out whilst trying to keep the situation going.

Man I wish I couldn't read people so well.
Reply 790
Original post by chrislpp
No, a few of them do. The rest are unemployed.

Engineering, the look on their face is always the same, in that split second the look at their own lives and start to get depressed a little, sometimes it's surprise though mostly the skim over their own situation and depression then some made up reply they fart out whilst trying to keep the situation going.

Man I wish I couldn't read people so well.

Nice to see that the ignorance and arrogance of Bsc students is still thriving.
Original post by ajp100688
Nice to see that the ignorance and arrogance of Bsc students is still thriving.

I know, luckily I do a BEng so you should now be realising the same could be said about you.

Oh god i love the internet :colone::biggrin:
I'm going to study linguistics, and without fail people say 'So what language are you going to study?'

NO!
Going to do History and the general question it elicits [dunno if it's a northern thing] is: 'so what are you going to do with that?'

Or: 'Just History?'

With which I reply 'with Classics and Social Anthropology' and that tends to be a conversation ender...either because they think I'm a lost cause or because they don't know what Classics is. :tongue:

I don't care though, I enjoy what I do and at the end of it I'll have an honorary MA from a great uni. :biggrin:
Reply 794
people are usually quite impressed that i've applied and had an offer for veterinary (which i missed so i'm reapplying :frown: ). and then i've had a few 'why aren't you vegetarian then?'... but personally, i can't really see how they're related!
Original post by djgoebbels
"Wow, that sounds complicated"
I'm doing International Relations and Global Issues

Edit: Okey honestly, what's up with the neg? Do people think I implied something? I don't believe I impied anything. All I did was to straightforwardly anser the question. What am I supposed to do? "It seems complicated" is their usual response and even though I don't find my subject any more complicated than other subjects, and the fact that they might not be the sharpest knives in the box, it's still their response - for what this thread is intended.

Tbh, it looks like a thumbs up/down war to me..... (or whatever it be named)

You know....1 negs, 1 see the negs and provides a positive in disagreement, and so forth....

You got a positive there in the end, from what I can see :wink:
-Psychology

"Ooo does that mean you can read minds?"
"No, but I can push you infront of a bus"

-SPLAT.
Original post by julifak
"psychology"
"oh why not medicine, accountacy, law e.t.c"
"what will you do with that"
"so you'll be able to read my body language"
:confused: :doh:

What can you do with a psychology degree?
Original post by henryt
i usually get 'you must be good at mental arithmetic: What's 31234234x123?'.

3 841 810 782
Original post by InsaneFandom
'Wow that's good... so you're going to work in a pharmacy then?'
I say no, try to explain the difference between chemistry and pharmacy
Get asked what I'm going to do with my life then
:dontknow:

what can u do with a chem degree?
Work in a chemist?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending